Surge Downtown & Technology Issues

Yankee

A lot of @@@@@ing about how things work in here, especially how pings are doled out, how surges work, the lousy CSR replies, etc. One thing that's becoming clear to me is that a lot of the time, its just crap technology. Pure and simple. I was sitting on Rainey near midnight waiting for a ping this Friday. Nothing for close to an hour, despite seeing people getting in cabs the whole time. All of a sudden, my app goes "ping" and I see a message: "Rider has cancelled." Um, what rider? I never got or accepted a ping. That's happened before, usually after a long lull. It seems Uber's technology sometimes matches us up with a pax but doesn't tell us, then the rider gets tired and cancels?

I think the same technology glitch is the cause for surge fkery. Saturday night, at 2:20 a.m. the surge was at 4.3. I'm thinking, JACKPOT! NOBODY goes home without hitting bank at that hour during a surge. I turned up 5th street and rolled at 15 mph through the heart of downtown. No pings. I rolled into the middle of the city, just below "Dirty 6th", no pings. The surge dropped to 3.6 but still going after 10 min. I turned up and headed east on 7th, usually the busiest street for pick ups after bar closing. The surge dropped to 2.1. No pings. I kept going toward the highway, surge drops to 1.5. By the time I got to the highway, 20 min had passed. The city was surging the entire time, I went directly thru the middle of it, and didn't get ONE ping. Pure @@@@ery. I went home. If you write Partner Support, they're gonna give you some made up garbage story to explain it. But they're pulling it out of their butts, they can't explain it. Its fubar technology.

Stratos

I've noticed all of that along with something else odd. Uber has logged me off 2-3 times now without me closing the app. Anyone else have this happen to them. Just sitting there waiting for a ping and bang your app logs you off?

Yankee

I've noticed all of that along with something else odd. Uber has logged me off 2-3 times now without me closing the app. Anyone else have this happen to them. Just sitting there waiting for a ping and bang your app logs you off?
That happens to me all the time, though most often its when I'm browsing other pages, looking at email, facebook, etc. As if Uber wants to say, HEY! WHILE YOU'RE SITTING THERE WAITING FOR A PING YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO DO ANYTHING ELSE!!! PAY ATTENTION TO THE APP THAT'S DOING NOTHING BUT FLASHING ZURGE ZONES THAT WE'RE NOT INVITING YOU TO! LOOK AT ME! I'M UBER. AND IF YOU DON'T LOOK AT ME 100% OF THE TIME, WE'RE LOGGING YOU OFF. BECAUSE WE CAN.

;-)

ATX 22

I've been automatically logged off with no other apps running before. I have also had issues within the past week with not being able to start or end a ride, getting a "network error" message.
As far as picking up paxes during surge, I haven't had much luck at all. Last Saturday night I picked up a pax at 1:55 and went to pretty far south Austin, got 2 pings, one of which was a no show, and didn't get back to downtown until the surge was over. Go figure!
I had some phantom pings 2 weeks ago that screwed me out of the guarantee $$. Naturally, I disputed missing 3 pings during a guarantee period, only replies from support have been canned responses. I can't get uber to provide proof that I was actually pinged and didn't accept.

Yankee

I've been automatically logged off with no other apps running before. I have also had issues within the past week with not being able to start or end a ride, getting a "network error" message.
As far as picking up paxes during surge, I haven't had much luck at all. Last Saturday night I picked up a pax at 1:55 and went to pretty far south Austin, got 2 pings, one of which was a no show, and didn't get back to downtown until the surge was over. Go figure!
I had some phantom pings 2 weeks ago that screwed me out of the guarantee $$. Naturally, I disputed missing 3 pings during a guarantee period, only replies from support have been canned responses. I can't get uber to provide proof that I was actually pinged and didn't accept.

You can't get Uber to give you anything because if it doesn't serve them, they have no record of it. I've actually given rides to people, and the app malfunctions,and Uber insists they have no proof. And coincidentally, the app usually malfunctions when they're busy: NYE, SXSW, Surges. We're a "Tech Company". ;-)

IndyDriver

The app automatically logs you out after X time for inactivity. Back when I drove it would at least give a notification. If you didn't respond to it then auto logout.

I had all kinds of bizarre glitches with the app when getting pings myself. It's an old app that they won't spend the money on to make better, because that would benefit the drivers.

ATX 22

I went to the "office hours" last week. I'm amazed by the lack of technology in that. No organization, no real plan for serving drivers needs. 4:00 start time and no one showed up until about 4:30. Then we were all signing in and no one had a clue who was next in line. Pretty disappointing.

roman411

Interestingly enough, there is a listing for an Operations Coordinator position in the Austin office. This position SCREAMS "We here at Uber didn't hire correctly when we implemented in Austin and we're going to hire someone to help us fix our **ck up." I'm mulling over applying. I already do this type of thing in my 9-5 so why not. Maybe I can help fix the absurd customer service issues Uber has in Austin.

ATX 22

I saw that as well. I like my day job and don't qualify, since I don't possess a degree. It looked to me as if they're targeting someone just graduated so they'll work for pennies on the dollar to what a real operations manager would cost.

roman411

I suspect Uber's going to shoot themselves in the foot here (go figure). It will be the old adage "You get what you pay for." They hire an early 20-something who truly knows little about Ops but will grind it out trying. Pay the person in the low $30K range then expect "C" level talent instead of investing in someone worthwhile. I suspect these folks can't touch my hourly/salaried rate but I'd love to have a conversation with Uber about this position. I too like where I work, what I do for work, and the rate I get but if Uber wanted to hire me to be The Wolf (see Harvey Keitel - Pulp Fiction) and pay me for it...I might just bite.

Ziggy

crap technology
we've written over 20 iPhone apps and 100 Android apps ... the SDK for both iPhone & Android allow screen rotation (by default) .. but Uber developer in their un-infinite "wisdom" stripped that code out and allow for vertical presentation only. Dumba$$es ... I guess they've never used a GPS before ... as it's far easier to use landscape instead of portrait.
Partner Support, they're gonna give you some made up garbage story
probably hired these guys right out of school with no business experience. In fact, I saw a job posting for Uber Austin on GlassDoor.com ... a few weeks ago ... and the job posting said "Recent graduates ok" ... Way to set the bar low, Uber

Tx rides

You can't get Uber to give you anything because if it doesn't serve them, they have no record of it. I've actually given rides to people, and the app malfunctions,and Uber insists they have no proof. And coincidentally, the app usually malfunctions when they're busy: NYE, SXSW, Surges. We're a "Tech Company". ;-)
That's particularly alarming considering the insurance coverage. I wonder if the pax gets billed? If so at least you have that comfort (while working for free!!!)

Tx rides

we've written over 20 iPhone apps and 100 Android apps ... the SDK for both iPhone & Android allow screen rotation (by default) .. but Uber developer in their un-infinite "wisdom" stripped that code out and allow for vertical presentation only. Dumba$$es ... I guess they've never used a GPS before ... as it's far easier to use landscape instead of portrait.
probably hired these guys right out of school with no business experience. In fact, I saw a job posting for Uber Austin on GlassDoor.com ... a few weeks ago ... and the job posting said "Recent graduates ok" ... Way to set the bar low, Uber
I'll bet they employ the new "Design Thinking" Model. My favorite! (Not)

i had the app crap out on me once and didnt show 3 of trips completed. emailed them about it and they said sorry doesnt show in our records. i got em though because it was in my navigation history and i even got texts from the pax on gate codes to their apartments during those times my trips didnt show. you just gotta pester them. also on saturday night i usually log off when it gets close to 2 am but make my way down close enough to hit east 6th when it starts surging and have no problems getting hit right away. but dont take my word for it :wink:

and maybe yall need to get better phones to run the app? the app and navigation takes up a huge amount of ram on a phone dur. when youre about to start driving turn off and restart your phone. i usually just have spotify, uber, and waze running. check your emails and fb when youre taking a break. unless you absolutely have to be on fb 24/7 lol

ATX 22

Chuey, I'm using a brand new S6. Didn't have as many issues with my S3.
I don't run anything but uber and waze while driving and I'm still having issues.

ATX 22

As far as I can tell. It updated automatically today.
I updated it a week ago when I bought the new phone.

weird. ive only had a problem with the app once but it was at a time when uber drivers all over the country had the same problem at the same time. idk man that sucks. and yeah good luck emailing these fools. it's like talking to a f***ing robot