Surge disappearing

MissMM

So, I've noticed over the past couple of months... when I go to get online it shows a surge zone... funny thing is it disappears when I get online or close to the "surge" ... POOF!!

Last edited:

ill be bach

So, I've noticed over the past couple of months... when I go to get online it shows a surge zone... funny thing is it disappears when I get close... Poof!!
Funnily enough, this happens a lot in London too!
Makes you wonder if the demand is really as high as the surge indicates
I'm wondering if you're online or offline as you appraoch the surge zone ?
I used to use the iPhone provided by Uber when i first joined over 3 years ago and you had to be online to see where the surge zone was.
Now i use my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 which allows me to see the surge zone in the offline mode.

MissMM

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Funnily enough, this happens a lot in London too!
Makes you wonder if the demand is really as high as the surge indicates
I'm wondering if you're online or offline as you appraoch the surge zone ?
I used to use the iPhone provided by Uber when i first joined over 3 years ago and you had to be online to see where the surge zone was.
Now i use my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 which allows me to see the surge zone in the offline mode.

MissMM

I see the surge BEFORE I even go online. As soon as I go online it is gone. Seems like they are wanting me to get online so making it look like it is a surge. I don't and won't chase a surge, it's just something I've noticed happening quite a bit.

ill be bach

I see the surge BEFORE I even go online. As soon as I go online it is gone. Seems like they are wanting me to get online so making it look like it is a surge. I don't and won't chase a surge, it's just something I've noticed happening quite a bit.
The trick is to observe where the surge zone regularly appears, at busy times and days of the week, you'll see a pattern to this, aim to be in the area at the centre of the surge zone before the surge begins and you'll have a greater chance of getting a surge request.
BUT
Having said that, the rider app has a feature that asks the rider if they would like to be alerted once the surge ends, so whether or not you recieve a surge request depends on how desperately the rider needs a car and you'll notice the requests come flooding in when the surge disappears.
But all it takes is a few long distance fares on a surge to make it a good day/night!

MissMM

ThanQ! I've been driving for a year now, and feel like I'm still leaning new "tricks". I appreciate your insight!!

ACHUMA

I didnt know girls get "surge boners" too. Thought it was just the guys who popped those. :rolleyes:

ACHUMA

Surges enable me to have a better work/life balance, i don't know anybody that wouldn't like that! :biggrin:
Well that's all good & dandy if it actually surges, but here in this market the only time it surges regularly is bar close time on the busier nights and even then it lasts for maybe 15-20min, 30min at most. There are so many drivers out in this market it rarely surges anymore and certainly not on a regular basis.

ill be bach

Well that's all good & dandy if it actually surges, but here in this market the only time it surges regularly is bar close time on the busier nights and even then it lasts for maybe 15-20min, 30min at most. There are so many drivers out in this market it rarely surges anymore and certainly not on a regular basis.
Seems like supply far outweighs demand in your region, OR they're playing with the surge button, hmmm, would not surprise me!
With the increasing number of drivers, surge is becoming less frequent here too.

PhoenixIdle

Keep in mind the surge algorithm is based on hypothetical app opens in a radio to drivers in the tree. The red pimples cause people to stop opening the app and drivers to go online. Because the peak times are so limited this time of year, the surge doesn't sustain and our riders are savvy enough to know this.

Uberfenix

The opposite can also happen, you see no surge but if you check the rider app or get a request then you notice that there's a surge, older phones are easy victims to this refreshing situation, it also happens with lyft, how do I know? I have a note 3 and an Iphone 6s, the 6s it's accurate most of the time, on the note 3 sometimes you have to log out, zoom in, zoom out in order to refresh the screen, LYFT or UBER.

ill be bach

Keep in mind the surge algorithm is based on hypothetical app opens in a radio to drivers in the tree. The red pimples cause people to stop opening the app and drivers to go online. Because the peak times are so limited this time of year, the surge doesn't sustain and our riders are savvy enough to know this.
There's also a flip side to that, where drivers go offline and that can induce a surge.