SURGE - cheating or not working?

A. Nasir

I've been wondering.

When trip request came from surge area, the request ping should has stated it right, like 1.8 accordingly.

Previously it does. But now i dont see it. Is it because they remove that function or the surge rate was not calculated at all.

anakmalaysia

I've been wondering.

When trip request came from surge area, the request ping should has stated it right, like 1.8 accordingly.

Previously it does. But now i dont see it. Is it because they remove that function or the surge rate was not calculated at all.

I believe Uber is cheating drivers in Malaysia. In surge areas we get riders request several kilometers away. If there is surge in a certain area why don't we get riders from that area.
On Saturday it was the same story, I was in Brickfields where there was a surge but I received a riders request from Midvalley that is absurd.

A. Nasir

I noticed that too, and came to a conclusion that surge does not mean there are riders presently requesting driver in the area but luring drivers to come to the area and be on standby.

My reason is, that other day I set my app to be offline. Drove to the heart of the surge area which was 2.1x, then set to be online.

Logically a trip request should immediately come in right. Otherwise why would there be surge if no demand at all. Instead, for 15 mnt I was waiting like an idiot with no ping at all.

While waiting, I was also observing my uber rider app. I'm the only driver in the area. So its impossible that all those riders supposedly caused the increase of surge have all taken other drivers.

I also observed that the moment I turned online, the surge in the surrounding radius location of my car starting to fall. Gradually it fell to 1.4x. Causing the effect of blackhole as my car was at the centre of it.

Then from the rider app, I saw another driver was coming in. The surge shown the same behavior. The surge rate surrounding the incoming driver started to fall.

So there it is how I come into the conclusion that surge was meant to lure driver into a targeted area, not necessarily means it has high demand.

A. Nasir

Received feedback today regarding the question I posted firstly above. Uber said the ping i accepted was not from the surge area. Advise me that surge is constantly changing.

Come on, I know my map. The surge stretched from penang airport until tg bungah. 40% of penang island at least. Are they telling me that surge of 1.8x can drop to zero just within one seconds.

When i accepted the ping i was looking at the screen. The pickup was less than one kilometre away. I could see the surge rate of each hexagonal blocks that cover 4km radius.