Surge Adjustment

tryingforthat5star

Took a while but I think I caught onto to how it works. I know this has been talked about in the past but the whole idea when Pittsburgh started flat rate surge was the loss of those nice surge runs. So I'm going to throw together like three times where I seen the surge adjustment and most involved a good amount of mileage to activate it.

Duquesne Club - Base surge was $2.25 flat I drove to Murrysville and got a portion of rider surge price cant recall how much
949 Penn Ave Base surge was $3.25 I drove to Southpointe - I received a surge adjustment of $15.XX on top of the $3.25 for going 19 miles
PIT Airport Surge $3.00 drove to Wexford 32 miles received $3.00 surge plus $7.19

Now if you notice I received less of the airport run even though it was further and only 25 cents cheaper then SouthPointe. Interesting but for now I can't rule out how they are calculating this.

Steelersnut

I think if you drive into surge you get the flate rate no matter what. If you accept ride IN that surge you get multiplier as well. If you accept ride outside it you only get the flat rate. It's actually a good deal.

Frank112

I think if you drive into surge you get the flate rate no matter what. If you accept ride IN that surge you get multiplier as well. If you accept ride outside it you only get the flat rate. It's actually a good deal.
I had never considered that. Do you think it goes by when you take the ping or when you do the pickup?

Zeppelin77

My thoughts after 2 months of this surge.

The surge amount shown for drivers is less important than what the riders are paying. I have had trips with a 1.50 surge amount that ended up with a larger surge paid versus trips with a $5 surge attached that paid only that $5 extra. Hell, I've even had trips that showed no surge listed when the trip came in that ended up paying a surge. This new surge format forces you to use the rider and/or other apps to see what your rider is paying to help determine if you will get extra.

I do like the attached surge when the "real" surge goes away. I also find that the higher dollar amount surges seem to disappear just as I'm about to enter the surge cloud on a pretty frequent basis. I also hate the fact riders are paying the old rates and we get scraps. When someone pays $62 to the airport from downtown my cut of $29 is insulting. However, I would be lying if I haven't snagged some nice $7+ surges from my couch that I didn't deserve.

The game has changed, some good and some bad. There are some tricks just like the old days and you can still make money doing this gig, for now.

tryingforthat5star

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing I caught onto is if you drive through a surge say its $4.50 but the location your picking up in is not surging I never seen a surge adjustment then because the rider isn't pay it Uber is paying the $4.50. Keep that in mind also the surge map refreshes on it's own at times then other times it is stuck at what it is. Exit the app and go back into the app bam the surge is gone. Another scheme I think they pull at times.

Howie428Uber

When I see it surging now, I see it as an opportunity for me to make more money for Uber. It’s astonishing to me that passengers have not caught on to Uber pocketing nearly 60% of the extra money they are paying. And what exactly does Uber do for these vast piles of extra cash?

St. Patrick’s Day will be the kind of day when this will be at its most ridiculous. Passengers will be paying large amounts and wondering why they can’t get cars. The reason will be that Uber is taking half the money, giving drivers little reason to fight the traffic and the vomit.

The flat surge is even more ridiculous if you’re driving as an XL. The numbers are set with UberX in mind, so perhaps an UberX trip that’s shorter than 3-4 miles might pay more. For XL only a very short trip gets the driver a small gain.

The old system felt like gambling. You took chances based on judgment, sometimes you won, other times you lost. Yeah it was annoying at times, but it had a fun side to it.

The new system feels like begging. You’re scrounging for scraps and hoping to occasionally get thrown an extra bone.

tryingforthat5star

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Had one the other night around 4 AM Downtown to Airport surge was $2.50 no surge adjustment on this one. Last night I seen airport surge at $4.50 with 11 to 15 cars there. Uber IMO has some sort of math to this it seems like they can sense a driver that ignores a bunch of requests in one area then takes one. I don't know im still trying to figure out what the magic surge rate is vs miles.

Zeppelin77

The driver app is behind in terms of what the surge is being charged to customer, meaning it could be 1.5x but the driver app doesn't show any surge. Sometimes when the driver app catches up the surge is no longer being charged to the customer. Odds are if the surge has been in area for more than 5 minutes and hasn't gone up the real surge is gone and you'll only get that amount shown.

Saltminer

From last night, every single pick-up in a surge resulted in a surge adjustment; even if the adjustment was just a couple dollars; so it does seem as though if you pick up in a surge, you will get an adjustment. Not smart enough to know how the adjustment compares to the old multipliers or what the formula is to determine the amount.