• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Super slow in Miami in comparison with Boston

Arielbraverman

I'm from Miami and I drive Uber ridedhare in Miami and all the trip county area (Miami Dade, Broward, Palm Beach), on average, i make $90-$120 driving for 10 hours, plenty of my rides are very short distance.
On the other hand, my friend lives in Boston, and he on average makes $150-200 in exchange of 8 hours. For example, he today showed me that he made $232 in 10 hours (he showed me the screenshot)
I'm in Miami putting in way more hours and stress and making less money than my friend who lives in Boston.. I mean, today I started driving at 10AM, and now it's 3:25AM (the next day) and I'm only at $130.. Do you think that city and geographical location is a factor in success with rideshare? Is rating a factor?
I try to always drive in South Beach and Downtown Miami (FTR)

SFOspeedracer

I'm from Miami and I drive Uber ridedhare in Miami and all the trip county area (Miami Dade, Broward, Palm Beach), on average, i make $90-$120 driving for 10 hours, plenty of my rides are very short distance.
On the other hand, my friend lives in Boston, and he on average makes $150-200 in exchange of 8 hours. For example, he today showed me that he made $232 in 10 hours (he showed me the screenshot)
I'm in Miami putting in way more hours and stress and making less money than my friend who lives in Boston.. I mean, today I started driving at 10AM, and now it's 3:25AM (the next day) and I'm only at $130.. Do you think that city and geographical location is a factor in success with rideshare? Is rating a factor?
Yes it is, the per mile and per minute rate is different in every market for a particular city

Merc7186

Every market is over saturated but some more than others.

Here, summer times are slow because the college kids are gone and every ant comes out of their ant hills...but when the Snow starts flying, there is decent money to be made.

OldBay

You are making less than minimum wage. Have you considered finding a job?

Driving all day for 130 is going to burn you out and trash your car.

oldfart

Kinda condescending, don’t you think

South Florida and Southwest Florida (where I live an work) are seasonal markets. Most business people from doctors and dentists, to restaurant owners to gift shops to drivers like us, know that we make more money in the winter than the summer, and we budget accordingly. Save money in the winter to carry us over the summer

OldBay

Kinda condescending, don’t you think

South Florida and Southwest Florida (where I live an work) are seasonal markets. Most business people from doctors and dentists, to restaurant owners to gift shops to drivers like us, know that we make more money in the winter than the summer, and we budget accordingly. Save money in the winter to carry us over the summer
Not at all. Based on his complaint, he is defininetly new to rideshare and doesn't understand how fares vary by market. It doesnt seem like he has worked it out. He is driving under the expectation that he will make as much as his friend. If he actually does the math he will find he's better served by a minimum wage job.

This is the same advice I would give myself if I was making that little.

oldfart

Most minimum wage jobs, at least the ones I’m qualified for and physically able to do, do not promise 40 hour weeks or a schedule you can count on, week to week

But even a 40 hour week dosent satisfy my needs. Minimum wage in Florida is $8.50 (I think) so $340 a week. Even grossing as little as $100 a day net income tax is better than that

stpetej

Ah, FloriDuh. Horrible. On a weekday last week I "earned" (no expenses) $60 in 10 hours. Here in the Tampabay area - when people say just "Tampabay" I envision all these cars scurrying around on the seabed - it's lower, which is notworthevengettingoutbed pay. Thank God I work a real job which actually pays commission every few months. Between these few months I drive. $60 days are like a little mini vacation (I attempt to convince myself.) Read online papers in peace! Visit new places hitherto unknown (muddy orchards)! Experience the excitement of wondering whether this gang of boys is actually going to kill me! The anticipation of whether or not I have enough gas to get me home! Can I pass this motorhome driven by octogenarians without a head on with kids on bicycles?

Yes, rates vary. Real question - is there anywhere that pays less than Florida?

CJfrom619

Jesus. $100 for a 10 hour day? Yikes. Im disappointed when I don’t at least hit $200 on a 10 hour driving day. How do you guys have the patience for that? I get itchy after 10 minutes without a ride.

oldfart

Jesus. $100 for a 10 hour day? Yikes. Im disappointed when I don’t at least hit $200 on a 10 hour driving day. How do you guys have the patience for that? I get itchy after 10 minutes without a ride.
I’ve been asked why I would wat as long as three hours at the airport. The reason of course is I know I’ll get a ride there. I can’t be so sure on the street

Yesterday I was working from home and it was over two hours in my lazy boy before the first ping

TomTheAnt

90-120 in 10 hours? :eek: Damn... I’m usually disappointed if I don’t gross at least that in the 3-5 hours when ever I ant around in the mornings. And pretty sure DFW rates are not a whole lot higher than Miami, if any.

Sounds like you might need to adjust your strategy a little bit, OP. Yeah, it’s slow during summer (at keast here it is), but in a market like MIA, you should be able to make more than that, I think.

MyJessicaLS430

I thought there is a maximum of driving time for every 12-hr period?

First things first, Uber is meant to be a side gig IMHO. I never set a goal each weekend hitting on the road because driving is more like a hobby than an obligation for me. No mood = app off. Tired = app off. No good pings = app off.

Do not drive aimlessly in the hopes of receiving a ping. A car consumes more fuel running than idling.

Not sure if surge is rare there. If the multiplier model still applies, avoid short trips and reject all VIPs = short trips. Do exactly the opposite with the flat surge model (short trips are your friends). Probably you will receive another surge ping after completing a surge ride.

Learning is important. When I was a rookie, I never screened rides. By accepting all rides at the initial stage, you will learn how to filter out those unprofitable ones and identify the hotspots or even your unique honeywell. This is particularly important if your car is also eligible for Select or XL. The more you learn, the better business decisions will be made and thus minimizing your time on the road.

Saturation is always a problem for all markets. When I was in Florida last month, I could not recall a moment when there wasn't a car with Uber or Lyft sticker in any given street (Don't forget not every driver like to advertise these companies for free). I understand most families may want to dedicate themselves to the theme parks in Orlando so taking Uber makes a lot more sense. However, I am sure there are also some who cannot travel without a rental car like me..... Only members in the Miami forum knows the actual supply and demand issue.

reg barclay

As far as I can tell, the OP never said how many miles they usually drive during those 10 hours, to make $90-120. Do they drive 10 hours solid, or are they sitting at home a lot, and getting the odd ping every now and again? IMO total miles driven is the main gauge of profitability, as it's the real reflection of costs involved. Once someone has determined if the amount they made is profitable (against miles driven), they can then decide if the time spent making that amount was worth it for them.

OldBay

I'm usually disappointed that I only get pings for 3-5 hours a day before being throttled.

What market are you in that keeps feeding you pings so you can make $200 over 10 hours? Even in the summer?

KK2929

----------------
Again -- $130 is NOT what he earned. When calculating the hourly pay, the amount paid to L/U -- MUST be included.
He worked from 10 am to 3:25pm = 5.5 hours
Let's be kind and say that Uber is taking 40%. He must earn $218 to receive $130.
$218 for 5.5 hours is $39.64 per hour to drive around and listen to the radio.
Post automatically merged:

---------------------------
As stated by others, markets vary greatly. You cannot compare and it certainly does not indicate that you are not working rides share correctly.
Look at it this way -- in 5.5 hours your earned $218 or $39.64 per hour.

Fuzzyelvis

90-120 in 10 hours? :eek: Damn... I’m usually disappointed if I don’t gross at least that in the 3-5 hours when ever I ant around in the mornings. And pretty sure DFW rates are not a whole lot higher than Miami, if any.

Sounds like you might need to adjust your strategy a little bit, OP. Yeah, it’s slow during summer (at keast here it is), but in a market like MIA, you should be able to make more than that, I think.
It's not just rates. It's about surge, promotions, etc. as well as availability of decent trips. I'm in Houston. I get NONE of that. Dallas is better and it's not because of rates. I've gone back to delivering pizza as a side gig. I only Uber if I'm really bored or there's a concert etc. at the one venue close to me. If it shows a +$10 add on I MAY turn the app on at my house. I'll occasionally use the destination filter.

I don't do Lyft at all as their destination filter is useless and there's no surge except the add on which is very rare these days.

OldBay

----------------
Again -- $130 is NOT what he earned. When calculating the hourly pay, the amount paid to L/U -- MUST be included.
He worked from 10 am to 3:25pm = 5.5 hours
Let's be kind and say that Uber is taking 40%. He must earn $218 to receive $130.
$218 for 5.5 hours is $39.64 per hour to drive around and listen to the radio.
Post automatically merged:

---------------------------
As stated by others, markets vary greatly. You cannot compare and it certainly does not indicate that you are not working rides share correctly.
Look at it this way -- in 5.5 hours your earned $218 or $39.64 per hour.
Check your math lol. 10am to 3:25 AM the next day. 30+ hours.