• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Super Far Away Rides

happyweather

For several days, I've gotten requests, accepted them, and then found that I am taking people WAY out of the metro.

Problem is, when you leave the Tulsa metro, there are only cows between that far-out city and Tulsa.

Nice hour long drive. But on the way back, it's my gas and my toll fees. (toll fees on one night were 10 bucks).

There's not a chance in hades that I'd get a ride from that far away city on a Tuesday night.

This metro is not like SoCal. There is no chance of anyone asking for a ride to Tulsa on my way back.

So, IS THERE A WAY TO LIMIT DISTANCE TO DESTINATIONS?

I picked the person up, for instance, in downtown. Then I took them WAY far away.

How can I limit this?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Coachman

I don't know how you get an hour long drive without getting a 45+ notification.

But yes, you can decline a ride any time. But if you've already started the trip, then you risk that 1-star for the trouble.

Coachman

The one good thing about being in the boonies... yes, pings are few and far between... but so are the other ants. And if you do pick up a ride it's likely going to be a decent one.

kcdrvr15

this would not be an issue if fuber/gryft payed drivers a fair "fare" . I will always charge both ways, if the meter says $50, I add on a 2x mutiplier, $100 !
The way to limit this is not drive x or base fares, or ask before starting trip, if it's out of area, ask for a return fee ( based on time use $60 hour ), Dont be a chump

happyweather

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
this would not be an issue if fuber/gryft payed drivers a fair "fare" . I will always charge both ways, if the meter says $50, I add on a 2x mutiplier, $100 !
The way to limit this is not drive x or base fares, or ask before starting trip, if it's out of area, ask for a return fee ( based on time use $60 hour ), Dont be a chump
How do you charge them when it's all on the app? When you find out where they are going, do you tell them you need cash for the trip back? I'm all OK with that, but if they say no and I cancel the trip, won't I be charged?
Thanks!

Iann

You are allowed to ask for compensation for a return trip for them taking you out of your working area.

If they don't want to cover your tolls and gas then I would cancel the ride and not charge rider.

You don't have to take those rides if they take you away from your working area also.

JimKE

As others have said, you're an independent contractor and you don't have to take ANY ride -- even if you accepted it. If the trip is not cost-effective and the pax won't pay for your return trip, cancel.

And as Iann suggested above, DO NOT charge the pax the cancellation fee. It's worth it to you to cancel the ride, and it's not the rider's fault the ride doesn't work for you.

I would also notify Uber immediately of the circumstances -- "The trip was XX miles out of my area, and I simply can't go that far." Do that IMMEDIATELY, because Uber believes whoever contacts them first, regardless of the facts.

Two caveats:
  1. It's a cancellation, and cancellations can hurt you if you do them a LOT.
  2. If you call the pax first, and then cancel, it looks a lot like you are cherry-picking rides (which you are), and that's a no-no that will get you deactivated.

Cdub2k

Uber is supposed to send you a 45+ minute notification for all long rides. They do this in all markets. I have never received a ride where it was over 45 minutes without me already knowing it.

kc ub'ing!

I receive plenty of 45+ rides without notification. If advance notice was consistent I’d cherry pick. That’s why advance notice is not consistent.

NOXDriver

Do you pay the UPS to drive the truck all day until it gets to your house, and then also pay the UPS truck to drive back to the terminal? The rider (and your IC agreement) is to take pass from A to B and be paid time and miles + base.

You are very bad a business.

kcdrvr15

Do you pay the UPS to drive the truck all day until it gets to your house, and then also pay the UPS truck to drive back to the terminal? The rider (and your IC agreement) is to take pass from A to B and be paid time and miles + base.

You are very bad a business.
Yea, I'm very bad... and your IC agreement has changed many times in the last 4 years, that was how we did it back in 2015, pax agreed to 2x surge via text msg, send to uber after trip, bingo get paid 2x surge for the out of area trip.

I only do lyft lux, and I do towncar taxi. Most of my regular riders met up via hotel front desk, with a few from lyft. Your comparing livery service to ups truck ? Not a good comparison, but I understood what your saying.

oldfart

For several days, I've gotten requests, accepted them, and then found that I am taking people WAY out of the metro.

Problem is, when you leave the Tulsa metro, there are only cows between that far-out city and Tulsa.

Nice hour long drive. But on the way back, it's my gas and my toll fees. (toll fees on one night were 10 bucks).

There's not a chance in hades that I'd get a ride from that far away city on a Tuesday night.

This metro is not like SoCal. There is no chance of anyone asking for a ride to Tulsa on my way back.

So, IS THERE A WAY TO LIMIT DISTANCE TO DESTINATIONS?

I picked the person up, for instance, in downtown. Then I took them WAY far away.

How can I limit this?

Thanks!
Nothing between your city and that far off city except cows. In my marke there is nothing between Ft Myers/Naples and Miami except alligators. And they don’t use Uber either

The first Miami trip I got; I took, and then I complained to Uber and asked about charging a return trip fee. Their answer was quite clear. They understood these long rides could be unprofitable but we are not permitted to negotiate off app payments. We are free to cancel but that’s are only choice

I’ve crunched the numbers and have decided to take these long rides when I get them. I don’t lose money doing them even returning home empty. I don’t make as much as I’d like, but I don’t lose either. I have found that if I take the good with the bad, things tend to even out by the end of the week

mikes424

One more caveat.
If the destination you wish to cancel on is in area you don't want to go (high crime,etc) be careful. The pax may complain you cancelled because yoy are a racist and that can get you deactivated.

NOXDriver

Yea, I'm very bad... and your IC agreement has changed many times in the last 4 years, that was how we did it back in 2015, pax agreed to 2x surge via text msg, send to uber after trip, bingo get paid 2x surge for the out of area trip.

I only do lyft lux, and I do towncar taxi. Most of my regular riders met up via hotel front desk, with a few from lyft. Your comparing livery service to ups truck ? Not a good comparison, but I understood what your saying.
The agreement from 2015 has no meaning.

This is more of a know your market thing. I'll take a long pickup on Lyft (who, unlike Uber, doesn't have a long pickup fee) only to certain towns as I know there is nothing there and 90%+ its going to be a $25+ ride back into town. They are just happy someone came that far out to get them.

SuzeCB

Don't start the trip until they tell you the destination. This should be part of your verification process anyway. They give you the name and destination.

If it's someplace far, where you're not going to get any rides, and it's a financial loss for you, explain that to the pax. DO NOT ASK FOR MORE MONEY... wait for them to take the hint and offer. If it's enough to make you happy, make sure to get it in cash up front. You can also get a Square reader and run CCs. Put "Tip" in the reason for the charge.

Make sure the entire exchange is recorded on your dashcam and keep the footage for at least 6 months. Upload it to the cloud somewhere or put it on a zip drive at home.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
NORMY Toronto 10
D-River Melbourne 28
nurburgringsf San Francisco 17