1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Super-cheap rides are making Lyft less reliable

Discussion in 'News' started by touberornottouber, May 30, 2018.

1. touberornottouber

touberornottouber

Driving:
    UberX
    https://qz.com/1291573/cheap-rides-are-making-lyft-less-reliable/

2. driver gets $4 minimum fare after gas/expenses $2 a 1971 minimum fare

uber spends zero gas or expenses, doesn't risk their life & gets $4.40

and government doesn't see a problem & lets them operate?

$2 is what someone gets to deliver my bottle of beer or plate 50 feet?

yet the rider so obtuse they know driver getting robbed & not willing to tip lol of everyone tipped least $5 like they do at a restaurant theyd all get picked up, acting like they care

how many will still use service when minimum fare is $15 driver gets least $10 a legal fare that after costs is still just minimum wage ( 2 rides an hour about $14 after gas/expenses)

3. touberornottouber

touberornottouber

Driving:
    UberX
    One thing I note is that the media often seems to think it is that the fares are too low. That isn't necessarily the case anymore. The real issue is the amount the driver takes is too low. Here a short trip that costs the rider $7.50 only gets us $3. That is the real issue. Uber and Lyft are increasingly taking more of the fare for themselves.

Also from the linked article:

Someone needs to inform the reporter that it has changed. Uber no longer gives the driver most of the surge. In fact it seems often the driver gets NONE of the surge and the company just pockets it for themselves. There are some really big stories here for members of the media and once they catch on it could cause a lot of PR issues for these rideshare companies.

4. rex jones

rex jones

In the big cities if you use Uber and Lyft for short rides, you are just an *******. They know what they are doing. It's like calling a plumber to put more toilet paper in your bathroom.

5. The problem IMO, is many people in the main stream media,are a bunch of Cheap F'sssssss, and many of them take Uber,so that's why they don't report this exploitation of the drivers, Media is more interested in reporting how Illegals are getting a raw deal while citizens of the US are treated as Non Gratta, JMO
    PS as more of these stories get out there, the Gov will take notice,and by the way, if enough people wrote there elected officials, tell them you vote, and want some standards be put on app co's things will get done quicker, but we are a long way off from that point,jmo

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  6. JimKE

JimKE

The reporter doesn't care. They had a deadline, they wrote a story. The headline mentioned Uber, so the story will get clicks. Nothing else matters.

7. Actually a good comparison.. But I admit, if the plumber did it for only $3.30, i’d do it too!

8. rex jones

rex jones

Yeah it's a good point. Anything salacious, you just throw Uber in the headline and it will get clicks. Not to downplay sexual assaults or any other criminal behavior, but it is literally going everywhere in this country outside of Uber.

I was really just going for hyperbole, when I made the comparison. I guess it kind of works. Make sure to make the plumber bring up all his tools to the 9th floor too!

9. And of course, since i’m such a great customer I will be sure to “tip him in the app”..

10. JimKE

JimKE

You know the motto plumbers live by...right?

"Pool Pax flow downhill!"

11. MoreTips

MoreTips

I say bravo to any reporter willing to say drivers should be paid a fare wage. He was certainly off on a few facts but anyway glad to see anything in the media at least acknowledge the drivers side.

12. I wrote a while back that by not offering the usual bonus programs Lyft was giving drivers a pay cut and engaged in an experiment to see how little they can pay drivers. I guess drivers have had enough finally.

13. Rakos

Rakos

Driving:
    UberXL
    Does anyone remember the time...

When Uber supplimented the fare...

So it made the trips worthwhile...

Oh damn...must be my memory...

Going bad again...8>O

How long have I been driving now...???

Rakos
    vintage-man-mourning-photo-2759236.jpg

Cynergie, KellyC, Jo3030 and 3 others like this.
  14. = 3rd world living for Uber Drivers,jmo

15. touberornottouber

touberornottouber

Driving:
    UberX
    Got a ping today which was nothing but a digit number (probably the building number I am guessing?). I figured oh well I'll just go to the ping. As I got closer I realized it was a local slum apartment complex with 20+ buildings laid out like a maze. Then as I pulled in to one of the entrances I saw that apparently they fixed their gate (acfter years of it being down) so I couldn't get in without a gate code.

I just canceled the ride and left. It was about 45 minutes after so that usually means it is a short ride for someone who is going to work and has to be there on the hour. I'm not dealing with this crap for $3. I find even if I do call some will penalize you for doing that with a bad ratings or they could always say something like "try the other entrance" (the fare isn't worth driving all over for).

I think a lot of the quality issues passengers face are actually caused by the low pay and the rating system. I know for a $5+ guarantee pay and not being held hostage by ratings and the potential for false reports I would get every customer where it is even possible. I know I would because that is exactly what I did when I drove a taxi.

I agree. I was very happy to see the article. I hope more members of the media follow up on this sort of reporting. It would be very easy to sign up as a driver and do it for a few days to see what we are talking about.

tomatopaste, Termie, KellyC and 2 others like this.
  16. I thought the whole idea of Uber/Lyft was so their drivers could complain about taxi's being too expensive while bragging about how little TNC drivers were willing to work for? What happened? I guess when you flood the market with 10's of thousands of other drivers (your competition ) driving for a buck a mile (if you're lucky) wasn't so smart afterall?

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Dontmakemepullauonyou likes this.
  17. I can understand if you aren't making money on them, but in the cab racket, the short rides were where it was at.

Most people in big cities don't need to go long distances, but if its too long or too dangerous to walk, they need a ride. A 6 block walk through Atlanta at night could be a problematic journey.

Rakos likes this.
  18. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber

Driving:
    UberX
    Except the plumber would rightfully receive a well-paid “service call fee” right off the top, just for showing up.

19. touberornottouber

touberornottouber

Driving:
    UberX
    The difference is cabs tend to get tipped more. Also the drop is usually high enough to cover expenses. Tips are much more rare with rideshare and we all know how crappy the driver pay is. The other thing is the per minute/wait time charge. It tends to be 2-4 times higher in cabs so traffic is less of an issue.