Summernats - who's in?

Who likes the idea of picking pax up at Summernats?

• Yes - Cash money player!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A terrible idea

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Driver Zero

I've got my doubts about this being a good opportunity for drivers for a number of reasons.
The inevitable traffic changes, parking nightmare and a host of intangibles make me think it could be more trouble than it's worth trying to pick up pax from around EPIC.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...tators-and-2000-cars-for-20151203-glfarc.html
Admittedly, I've never had to attempt it before in a private vehicle so I'm only speculating.
What could go wrong? Thoughts?

Last edited:

DeafUber5

Perhaps, learn where the best places are and if they are in a bad area, better of to notify the passenger to meet you at X due to road closures etc?

Driver Zero

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
UPDATE! I see there are now dedicated Taxi drop off and pickup/drop off zones. That should make the experience a bit easier. just tell your pax to be there!

Skyring

Author
As a cabbie, the security guards would let me onto the (cramped) rank. As a private car, maybe not. Might be worth displaying the Uber logo.

Driver Zero

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's no way you'll be allowed at the cab rank unless you want to be stoned to death by agitated cab drivers. That's why they've created a separate pick up drop off zone..

Skyring

Author
There's always been dedicated taxi zones at Summernats. Are you saying there are now Uber zones as well.

Skyring

Author
January is traditionally a quiet month in Canberra. As a cabbie, Summernats was pretty much the only game in town. Always good money to be made, especially to and from the brothels and the Mitchell strip joint. Many attendees would leave their cars at the hotel so they could drink at EPIC.

As passengers, I found those over forty to be great people, fair dinkum enthusiasts who knew their stuff and behaved well. Anyone within a shout of twenty, not so much.

Northbourne Avenue and nearby is constantly patrolled by police "Q-cars". Hotted up V8s with dark windows and no visible police markings. At least until they turn on the lights.

So Tuggers was the place to be if you wanted to shave the speed limit close.

Skyring

Author
I'll give it a miss. I get back from my Sanskrit week in Sydney late on Saturday. Won't feel like driving that night, and probably have stuff to catch up on on Sunday.

So make a fortune, drivers!

Perhaps Uber will have some sort of promotion going?

DeafUber5

I'll give it a miss. I get back from my Sanskrit week in Sydney late on Saturday. Won't feel like driving that night, and probably have stuff to catch up on on Sunday.

So make a fortune, drivers!

Perhaps Uber will have some sort of promotion going?
you sir, are making excellent advice for us, canberra uber drivers.

Skyblue6

From past experience the best place to stop for pick up or find a cheeky kerb mounted parking spot was to go for the petrol station. It's not shell anymore but the new Caltex does have a nice exhibition park gate where people can go in and out of :smiles:

Beware of the bogans though.

Skyring

Author
Well, hogans are people, too. I've had some excellent rides with Summernats folk in a cheerful mood.

But they can be handfuls, wanting you to speed or go through the corners sideways...

Right. They won't be paying the fine.

Generally speaking, the ones who are taking cabs (or Ubers) are showing some responsibility by not driving with a few drinks on board, or the prospect thereof. The ones who are less thoughtful dive themselves. They ALL have cars.

Skyblue6

Well, hogans are people, too. I've had some excellent rides with Summernats folk in a cheerful mood.

But they can be handfuls, wanting you to speed or go through the corners sideways...

Right. They won't be paying the fine.

Generally speaking, the ones who are taking cabs (or Ubers) are showing some responsibility by not driving with a few drinks on board, or the prospect thereof. The ones who are less thoughtful dive themselves. They ALL have cars.
Show us your chest !!!! Haha definitely not a female friendly environment

Mavis

Is it Thurs - Sunday? I wonder if a lot of people will take the EPIC camping option or do you think we'll be doing runs from city hotels? What about locals? Any thoughts?? I noticed the UBer incentive for 7am - 10am Fri - what's all that about?