Study on Replacing Some Arlington Buses with Uber, Lyft Wrapping Up Soon

RickGnVa

How many of those bus riders are underage kids that take it to/from school? They are going to have a hard realization that Uber/Lyft is not going to work for them assuming drivers fall in and don't give rides to U/A school kids...

HPClays

Another great post. I love to see how the tax and spend community engineers experiment with people's lives like it's a game. It's refreshing to see that they've finally discovered what everyone already knows.....an empty mass transit system doesn't save the environment or reduce road congestion. (They might pass this information on to all of the empty streetcar fanatics.)

The circular firing squad will get entertaining when the Arlington Co government forces Uber and Lyft to train and vet rideshare drivers properly. I'm sure a lot of these bus routes will be long gone before some dolt-headed ant get on the news and forces an over-reaction

blondebaedc

Anyone remember this gem, the $1 million bus stop on Columbia Pike. It doesn’t even offer any weather protection. I pass it every day. Someone’s pocket got fat on this project and it was when they were pushing the failed street car idea. Trying to pass U/L off as an alternative to mass transit will never work. Why not just set up (free) slug lines to metro stops in that instance?

New2This

Anyone remember this gem, the $1 million bus stop on Columbia Pike. It doesn’t even offer any weather protection. I pass it every day. Someone’s pocket got fat on this project and it was when they were pushing the failed street car idea. Trying to pass U/L off as an alternative to mass transit will never work. Why not just set up (free) slug lines to metro stops in that instance?

I'm 5 minutes from that. I laugh every time I see a homeless person sacked out there.* My tax dollars at work.

*Before some snowflake gets their panties in a bunch, let me clarify. I volunteer at a homeless shelter. Not laughing at someone's misfortune. Laughing at the symbol of government waste being used as an open air bed.

blondebaedc

I'm 5 minutes from that. I laugh every time I see a homeless person sacked out there.* My tax dollars at work.

*Before some snowflake gets their panties in a bunch, let me clarify. I volunteer at a homeless shelter. Not laughing at someone's misfortune. Laughing at the symbol of government waste being used as an open air bed.
We must be neighbors. ?

That bus stop is a joke when you know it cost $1 million. Complete front for local government kickbacks.

Nats121

We must be neighbors. ?

That bus stop is a joke when you know it cost $1 million. Complete front for local government kickbacks.
That boondoggle is an excellent advertisement for everything that's been wrong with Arlington govt for years...

Arlington needs to reduce the power of its inept and/or corrupt county board with term limits, and it needs to throw the position of County Manager into a trash can and replace it with an elected County Executive, who has to answer to ALL the people of the county, not just the county board who appointed him/her.

nutzareus

When has any public mass transit system ever run at a profit? 100% of them run at a loss, subsidized by local taxpayers. I don’t use Metro or Montgomery County Ride-On, but I subsidize the people that ride the system. They should be happy with that, because door-to-door taxi service costs a lot more.

Jo3030

I visited a friend one day in Arlington County.
Parked my car as a visitor in her garage.
A few weeks later, I get a letter from Arlington County stating that since I garage my car regularly in Arlington, I must be mindful to make sure to report that I live there and to make sure I am paying taxes.

I wrote them a letter stating that, undo NO terms will I EVER move to Arlington County.
EVER. If that's their way of making sure they get their tax dues. By harassing people visiting friends assuming they are residents.

New2This

I visited a friend one day in Arlington County.
Parked my car as a visitor in her garage.
A few weeks later, I get a letter from Arlington County stating that since I garage my car regularly in Arlington, I must be mindful to make sure to report that I live there and to make sure I am paying taxes.

I wrote them a letter stating that, undo NO terms will I EVER move to Arlington County.
EVER. If that's their way of making sure they get their tax dues. By harassing people visiting friends assuming they are residents.

You probably parked in a neighbor's spot.

Arlington has a tax snitch line for reporting those that don't have a county tax sticker.

EnergeticSparseHammerkop-size_restricted.gif

Arlington has really changed over the last 20 years.

Also worth noting is that ART routes are redundant.