• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Street Hail Entrapment

Seamus

Everyone knows street hails are illegal. If you see someone is trying to hail you like a cab (with luggage) why would any Uber/Lyft driver pull over. (I can hear someone saying they thought they needed help and were just trying to help). Please, you get caught doing something you know is wrong be mad at yourself, not Law Enforcement.

JohnnyBravo836

It's really hard to believe that this is an intelligent use of limited police resources. Don't the LA police have better things to do? If this is a problem, that's because it harms the financial interest of taxi companies, or Uber if the driver is doing cash rides off the app. But it's hard to see how there is any general public or safety interest at stake here.

Disgusted Driver

It's really hard to believe that this is an intelligent use of limited police resources. Don't the LA police have better things to do? If this is a problem, that's because it harms the financial interest of taxi companies, or Uber if the driver is doing cash rides off the app. But it's hard to see how there is any general public or safety interest at stake here.
The man ain't getting paid if they let you do street hails. There are safety considerations as well but I agree, poor use of resources given the amount of violent crime in most cities.

JimKE

From that short video, there is not much you can learn except don't interfere with a police operation. And if you do, DON'T CONFESS on your own stupid video and then broadcast it to the world!

We don't know whether he actually got arrested or cited for that interference, but it's never a really clever idea. It's the kind of thing that happens when dumb people get too wrapped up in themselves.

We also don't know what the purpose of the sting was. We assume it was just to cite illegal street hails, but I'm not so sure.

The two undercover officers certainly had quick uniform backup for a mundane little Uber operation. And that was a routine response; if they'd been in a hurry, they would have been there much quicker. That makes me wonder if there wasn't a problem in that area with fake drivers doing robberies or other violent crimes.

Also, a busy city street is not where I would do a sting if I were trying to snag Uber drivers. I'd do it at the airport...where it's a problem.

People who get caught doing wrong always whine about the police having more important duties than making them obey the law, lol!

TomTheAnt

While we don't know what the police operation was all about and whether it was effective use of taxpayer money, I'd say the dude is a freaking dumbass for first of all taking a street hail and then doing the stupid video. No sympathy from me.

Seamus

While we don't know what the police operation was all about and whether it was effective use of taxpayer money, I'd say the dude is a freaking dumbass for first of all taking a street hail and then doing the stupid video. No sympathy from me.
He is lucky he didn't do it in NYC where they do stings all the time, especially at the airport. $1500 fine AND they can tow your car. Usually they don't tow your car if you cooperate but if that dude did that here he definitely would have got his car towed! LOL. Take the ticket and drive away or it only gets worse!

JimKE

Where this happens? Popo got lots of free time to this. And look how lady cop showing off, she is ready to fire for nothing.
I think that was Los Angeles PD.

Which lady officer was gonna shoot Dumbass? The only officer who pointed anything at Einstein was the one recording his silliness on her phone.

JohnnyBravo836

Cat recording is a hero! He screwed up and helped another poor schlub not repeat his dumb mistake!

The purpose of the sting isn’t safety. It’s revenue for the city. Period!
Just out of curiosity, where's the revenue for the city of LA? Are there local taxes for Uber rides there? When I look at the itemized Fare Details info, I don't see any item like that, or at least there isn't one here in upstate New York.

100hoursuber

I think that was Los Angeles PD.

Which lady officer was gonna shoot Dumbass? The only officer who pointed anything at Einstein was the one recording his silliness on her phone.
The one in the uniform. Look at her face and hand move. I've been dealing with polices quiet often. She is not the one people wanna deal with.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Chicago 0
IR12 San Francisco 1
DrinkSoda Chicago 6