Strategies for using both Uber and Lyft

jbourne84

Hi everyone - I'm wondering if any of you have thoughts on using both Uber and Lyft at the same time. More specifically, if there are any strategies that you employ to effectively maximize $$ while using both apps simultaneously.

Mikejay

I would like to know as well. I haven't signed up for Lyft and I hear it is just getting bad anyways. I have stayed busy with Uber but during the week I might use it.

Awesomeness101

I use them both. If uber is surging big time I turn off lyft. Not enough lyft requests in St Cloud to do the reverse.

jbourne84

If I have both turned on, I will almost always get an uber request and then get stacked pings that keep me in uber. every once in awhile i get angsty about that and stop accepting new requests, and then turn lyft back on for a bit. What I'm trying to figure out is when and where it makes sense to sit and wait on lyft, etc.

jbourne84

I'm in the Cities, and unlike STCL, I'll usually get continuous uber requests if i don't stop new requests. Because lyft pays better, i'd like to pick up some of those rides too, if not the majority.

PTUber

Typically when it is quieter like weekday nights I will turn on both. Usually Uber hits first but not always. The key is to remember to turn off the other as soon as you accept. If Uber is surging Lyft is off. If either has some sort of boost I will turn off the other although in Lyft's case if I don't get any action after a bit I will turn on both. I'd rather be driving then waiting for a possible boost hit. Don't chase Lyft's PDB it is an exercise in futility!

nightoweluber

Started driving for Lyft this weekend. Most of the passengers for Lyft seem to be Uber rejects who "Don't know why they got kicked out of Uber" I really needed to fill my time in between Uber calls. I did pretty well Saturday doing both. Unfortunately in this area Lyft is not as readily used. I had to drive a lot just to get to my Lyft passengers. Some paid off some didn't. I have a current 4.7 rating with Lyft and a 4.97 with Uber. I don't get it. I do the same thing for my Lyft passengers as I do for my Uber passengers. I do not like the navigation with Lyft, since you have to use Waze or Google which takes you out of the lyft app for that. Too many buttons to push on Lyft to start and complete rides. I had the same passenger cancel me several times. Decided I wouldn't accept his requests then my acceptance rate lowered. I was the only Lyft driver out there at the time. I felt if I left the Lyft app on it would really hurt my acceptance rate. Dude wouldn't stop. He was at least 25 mins away so I really didn't want to take it but again I was the only one out there. Also, had some glitches with the Lyft app regarding connectivity, but I never have problems with the Uber App regarding connectivity. I don't know, Lyft was just very frustrating to use. There was a time when Uber was surging majorly, but nothing was coming in until something came in from Lyft not surging. Anyway, I still don't know what to think about using both.

jbourne84

I was in Midland/Odessa once for work and I took the shadiest Uber i've ever had in my life.

Don't chase Lyft's PDB it is an exercise in futility!

Yeah; I've figured that much out already. Any particular areas of the cities you avoid?

#1husler

I also added Lyft driving, in addition to Uber, recently and...im in my opinion either have advantages and disadvantage.

Uber- Better app, more market, less $$ per ride
Lyft- More $$ per ride, less user friendly app and less market

I concur that the Lyft app keep going offline (while Uber stays online) and the schedule rides does work out because you dont need stick to any schedule with app bases rides (so why bother, right?, just leave when I want).

Some drivers have observed that Lyft pax are like Uber "rejects", which I havent noticed, but I will say that Ive noticed more cancellations on Lyft, like 3 or 4 out of 10 cancell out.

Uber and Lyft are simliar in that they are just a ride platform and dont go too deep into driver/PAX disputes..and if they weight in, they will of course come down on the side of the PAX (AKA -the paying costumer).

jbourne84

Thanks, husler. These are good tips regarding the differences between the apps, which I agree on all accounts. But my question is slightly different. My question relates to the strategies ya'll employ to most effectively utilize both here in the TC market.

#1husler

Gotcha, well....for one, I'll overlap Uber and Lyft slightly so...as I near the last minutes of one ride then Ill turn back on which ever (ie, Uber or Lyft) I had off...so they overlap slightly to better stack rides..at times both (Uber and Lyft) them ping at the same time, in which case i go with the shortest distance and decline the longer distance (I've been getting auto complaints from Lyft about low acceptance rate, because Lyft has fewer drivers so tends to send them out farther and farther, to the point that it makes no sense). Lyft can be annoying in that way, that they will keep sending through the same unreasonable requests (ie, drive 25 minutes to pick up a pax) even after you decline, so my advice for that is to just go offline for a while until the pax or Lyft give up and move on, then go back online when the coast is close.

mcj

I do both like many others.

I liked Lyft a number of months ago, but lately I can't get a lyft to save my life. It would be really long hrs with no rides on just one. I have an Android phone so I have have the luxury of using Mystro. It automatically toggles between both lyft and uber and you can setup criteria in each. So, you are not picking up pax that have low ratings or are long distances away.

I blew through a stop sign at 1am once when I first started. Luckly no one was around. Never again, the app keeps my eyes on the road. Specially with MN laws on distracted driving. Be super carefull if you do both.

AlexCom

Gotcha, well....for one, I'll overlap Uber and Lyft slightly so...as I near the last minutes of one ride then Ill turn back on which ever (ie, Uber or Lyft) I had off...so they overlap slightly to better stack rides..at times both (Uber and Lyft) them ping at the same time, in which case i go with the shortest distance and decline the longer distance (I've been getting auto complaints from Lyft about low acceptance rate, because Lyft has fewer drivers so tends to send them out farther and farther, to the point that it makes no sense). Lyft can be annoying in that way, that they will keep sending through the same unreasonable requests (ie, drive 25 minutes to pick up a pax) even after you decline, so my advice for that is to just go offline for a while until the pax or Lyft give up and move on, then go back online when the coast is close.
I've noticed that uber PAX are more patient especially when you overlap Lyft/Uber , maybe it has something to do with recent 2 minute cancellation window introduced bg uber

AlexCom

Need your help guys!

Accepted a lyft ride 17 min drive
Got there, ride just disappeared from the screen , with no cancelation message from lyft .
Need to get my cancellation fee

#1husler

Huh...ive never gotten a cancellation fee (unlike Uber) when pax cancel as I'm in route...my best advise is to minimalize future loses -dont accept ride which are more than 10 minutes away