Uber Drivers Forum banner

Strange situation...any explanation?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  uberparadise 
#1 ·
So this happened around 515 AM on Friday. I was at Holiday in Edina and about to grab some food and head home. I turned on passenher app and noticed every area was surging (particularly DT). I turned on driver app and was IMMEDIATELY pinged...2 minutes away. I accepted without thinking (although 2x downtown I knew it was 1.5 where I was) and proceeded to drive 1/4 mile to pax house. I noticed that it didn't have the 1.5x next to his name...WTF?? How did he get around this...while waiting a bit I opened up pax app and noticed it was now 2.1x where I was...shit what I do...now it goes up to 2.8...I say **** it and cancel ride and take off...got pinged immediately picked up pax a mile away and got a 2.8 ride to airport for 54 bucks...the best part is I got paid the 5 bucks...didnt realize I'd been there 5 minutes.

Now here is the question...how did the original pax get around the surge? I have never taken an uber as passenger so I don't know the tricks...is it possible that he requested a ride when it wasn't surging and it took 15 minutes for someone (me) to accept? Or is there a scam involved?

#3 ·
You misunderstood, or I didn't explain well. He pinged me when it was surging, but somehow he got around surge. When I accepted, it had no surge indicator on waybill. I went to his place and then cancelled (because surge increased) so hopefully he did have to pat up, unless he has some trick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.