Storm's Coming

old-boat-in-storm.jpg

Today was my son’s birthday. He was born in a hospital just outside the City of Toronto on March 31, 2003. This was the first day where hospitals in Toronto, and the surrounding area, initiated isolation and tracing protocols for a deadly corona virus that caused acute respiratory distress: SARS. Doctors and nurses wore N95 masks. You could see they did so uncomfortably, unused to this level of protection in open parts of the hospital. Patients and visitors wore disposable surgical masks. Protocol and procedure changed rapidly. It was utter chaos.

It was difficult to even get into the hospital while my wife was in labour. There were forms upon forms, hastily-assembled, and administered by awkward hospital bureaucrats. This was just to get us through the front door. When inside, and in the labour ward, it was worrisome that if I left to go home and get anything (during her 20+ hours in labour) that I would not be allowed back into the building. Quarantine measures were changing, seemingly, by the minute.

We were all fortunate that SARS blew itself out by the Summer of 2003. Even as cities like Hong Kong and Toronto faced a challenging financial recovery to their local economies in the aftermath, the global story of a deadly pandemic faded quickly. However, the stage was set for a bigger, badder, sequel.

What has changed in the past few decades? Countries who went through SARS, Ebola, MERS or the various strains of HxNx Epidemics and Pandemics — South Korea, Canada, and The City-State of Hong Kong — have done marginally better in the case of SARS-CoV2 (which causes COVID-19, or more generally referred to as the Novel Corona Virus). Even in the best response cases globablly, these countries have lost many of their elderly and immunocompromised citizens to the disease.

Countries who were spared previous outbreaks, however, have been woefully unprepared. Insufficient testing capability, a lack of clear protocols (i.e. a good national or even regional set of plans), funding, and personnel who specialize in this type of problem was a common issue. Furthermore, many of these ill prepared countries have an acute case of cultural individualism (this encompasses most of the democratic West). In most times, this is a positive attribute, but currently it prioritizes the immediate social circle, at the cost of of their neighbours, and farther up the scale, the nation.

The lightning-quick spread of social media, algorithm-dictated news filtering, and informational troll-farms (Fake News) of the past 10 years has amplified conspiracy theories and eroded respect for national institutions. The voice of big government and public heath bodies has been sorely diminished. Jonathan Swift, back in 1710 wrote, "Falsehood flies, and the truth comes limping after it.” This was later adapted by Roosevelt’s Secretary of State, Cordell Hull, who wrote: "A lie will gallop halfway round the world before the truth has time to pull its breeches on.” Eventually, this quote was just filed (ironically) on the internet as, ‘Smart Stuff Winston Churchill Said.’ No matter, for over 300 years, we are well aware that sensational B.S. gets traction with the credulous, and incredulous alike. This is long before scientific, spin-free, fact (if the latter ever arrives) gets its time on the world stage.

The United States is currently in a perfect storm of its own making. I predict it will be hurt the worst — yes worse than Italy or Spain, or China. China had the ‘benefit’ of Extreme Social Control, to impose a lock down in Wuhan, and beyond, to minimize the effect on its 1 Billion+ population. An unfortunate other side of the equation is that with the current government in China, we may never know the extent of the real numbers, due to State Media Control and other unpleasant Authoritarian measures.

Rest assured, however, the United States is going to be far, far worse. Boneheaded leadership that prioritizes political victories above facts. A massive and systemic defunding of all their key organizations to handle a situation of this kind. A public eduction system that has been on the brink for decades. A for-profit health care system that is reactionary to medical conditions rather than preventative or proactive policies. And, a population weened on reality television, conspiracy theories, a depraved worship of guns, erosion of labour laws, and more people than ever living paycheque to paycheque.

The slow asphyxiation of the middle class in America, as capital takes flight into the foreign bank holdings of the 1%, may now fully display its ugliness. Murphy (the owner and proprietor of that famous law) is sitting back with a Budweiser watching Fox News, with a closet full of toilet paper, and N95 masks. Now is the time for unity, not individualism, but the country has never been more polarized.

The lions are already running free in the Coliseum. They are eating the Christians, the Muslims, and the Gladiators indiscriminately, while the rest of Rome burns, and the college students bacchanal on the Beach.

As the 3rd-World Field-Tent Hospitals are erected on the most expensive parcel of undeveloped land in the world (Manhattan’s Central Park) there is no shortage of Uber and Lyft drivers, Amazon Flex delivery persons, and other gig workers who risk exposure and unaffordable future hospital visits. This, to make pennies for their corporate masters who have seen fit to not give them health benefits or any employee safety net. They corporate bosses use nearly all of the 25% (and higher) commissions to fight tooth and nail in courts around the United States and the world for the right to classify their Driver-Partners (i.e. employees) as Independant Contractors. The share-cropping practice of putting all the financial risk on the drivers has come to this: The first across-the-board life-and-death test at a time when workers’ rights are fully minimized. If you are driving, a generous use of common sense, and strict enforcing your own personal vehicle rules, has never been more important.

Some good news. Kind of. The FEMA deployments in LA and NYC are full steam ahead, and the Army Corps in the USA is an impressively massive machine. This will be all for naught, however, if the USA citizens cannot put down their “Give Me Freedom or Give Me Death” cultural attitude. Extreme personal freedom, in these times, compromises everyone else’s safety. Decades of ‘freedom first’ gun legislation on this does not give me hope. But then, sly NSA and corporate surveillance, raises all sorts of alarms as well. It will be a real needle to thread, to not surrender liberty at the promise of safety, while still preserving as much quality of life (or just life) as possible.

The official projections of 100,000 deaths for the USA alone, is appallingly high, when taken out of context. However, against the 50,000,000 deaths in the 1918-1921 H1N1 Pandemic (~675,000 of those in the USA) it seems like progress. That is until you consider the 100,000 a ‘best-case’ estimate (and a fluid one as models change). This only includes COVID-19 deaths, and there will be some ‘trickery’ on what is filed where; I have no doubt.

The strained infrastructure that prevents other surgery and health care, and lack of essentials in times of hoarding, will cause many more. And this doesn’t even address the mental health, homeless, opioid crisis and suicide rates climbing in times where people feel hopeless. This is currently Italy’s situation. The system got overwhelmed, and the death toll skyrockets, both Covid-19 and other serious non-Corona surgeries and treatments are put on hold. Italy has not even peaked yet!

Nonetheless, if the USA holds things back to ‘just a bad flu season,’ that would be a testament to the Trump Administration and the ever-diminishing notion of American Exceptionalism. And yet, this is an administration famous for its bald-faced lies, so all bets are off in most arenas, including data accuracy. History will judge who wins this war, America or China, on several fronts: The Economy, Big Government response & accountability, and Social stability going forward in the months ahead.

Perhaps other nations will arise to fill the void of Super Power in the aftermath. The Summer Olympics may be postponed, but every day I visit the global statistics of COVID-19: Cases. Deaths. Recoveries. And the more it starts to look like the Olympic World Medal Standings. China and the USA, the two super-powers morbidly ‘top’ the chart, each with their own extreme political pathologies. While Italy and South Korea having narratives that are 180 degrees apart. There will be many stories to be told after all this has passed.

As we celebrate my son’s birthday, my family is in the middle of our own 14 Day Lockdown. We are following to the letter, as we have seen what chaos in our otherwise highly professional hospitals look like. I give some small thanks, that my own country, Canada, had the good sense to have a (somewhat) robust national health care service. Fortunately, we do not have the worries of unknown medical bills or crushing expenses, as it is borne by the collective tax payer for the greater health of the country. Also, the average person has good access to education, and understands this: that there is a time for pushing back at policy and government advice, and a time for coming together in national unity. This is for the benefit of our fellow citizens, particularly the elderly, their personal support workers, and our health care professionals.

Even then, the Canadians, South Koreans, and Germans, who have fared better than most so far, are in for tough times ahead. Perhaps even Post-War Britain times. After the second World War, one of the chief architects of victory, the UK, required a stiff upper lip and lived on butter instead of jam. When you 'win' a global war, there is a long recovery period where the cost, the cost of victory, must be borne, even it if means aiding your own adversaries who suffered defeat. The United States (and Canada) has forgotten these lessons. We are about to be educated, as they say, in ‘real time.’

In the mean time, which may be many months, stay safe! Listen to fact based and scientific sources, and self-distance, isolate and quarantine where appropriate. Resist the emotionally-laced sensationalism and fog-of-war punditry offered by the media (Mainstream, Fringe, or Blogosphere - yes, even TikTok celebrities).

Tamp down the urge to work in the Gig Economy, if you can avoid it. Your health is not worth a few shekels in the long run. Neither is the risk towards the health of your parents or grandparents. Now is not the time for selfishness, or ‘proving a point’ to the Libtards, the Sheeple, or the Cuckservatives. Now is the time for sacrifice, unity, levelheadedness and empathy. Do not hug your neighbours, rather, gently nod from 2 metres away.

Stay Healthy.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
Kurt Halfyard
View attachment 440748

Today was my son’s birthday. He was born in a hospital just outside the City of Toronto on March 31, 2003. This was the first day hospitals in Toronto and the surrounding area initiated isolation and tracing protocols for a deadly corona virus that caused acute respiratory distress: SARS. Doctors and nurses wore N95 masks, uncomfortably and not used to this level of protection in open parts of the hospital. Patients and visitors wore disposable surgical masks. Protocol and procedure changed by the minute. It was utter chaos. It was difficult to even get into the hospital while my wife was in labour; forms upon forms, hastily-assembled and administered by awkward hospital bureaucrats, just to get through the front door. Even when inside and in the labour ward, it was worrisome that if I left to go home and get anything during her 20+ hours in labour that I would not be allowed back into the building due to unclear Quarantine measures that were changing by the minute. We were fortunate that SARS blew itself out by the Summer of 2003, and even if cities like Hong Kong and Toronto faced a trying financial recovery, it was not quite the global story for long, the stage was set for a bigger, badder, sequel.

What has changed in the past few decades? Countries who went through SARS, Ebola, MERS or the various strains of HxNx Epidemics and Pandemics — South Korea, Canada, and The City-State of Hong Kong — have done marginally better in the case of SARS-CoV2 (which causes COVID-19, or more generally referred to as the Novel Corona Virus). Nonetheless, they have lost many of their elderly and immunocompromised citizens.

Countries where these previous diseases were spared have been woefully unprepared, through insufficient testing capability, a lack of clear protocols (i.e. a good national or even regional set of plans), funding, and personnel who specialize in this type of problem. Furthermore, many of these ill prepared countries have a selfish or individualism streak (most of the West) that prioritizes immediate social circle, over the good of their neighbours, and farther up the scale, the nation.

The lightning-quick spread of social media, algorithm-dictated news filtering and informational troll-farms (Fake News) of the past 10 years has amplified conspiracy theories and eroded respect for national institutions, particularly Government, but sadly also public heath bodies. Jonathan Swift in 1710 wrote, "Falsehood flies, and the truth comes limping after it.” This was later adapted by Roosevelt’s Secretary of State, Cordell Hull, who wrote: "A lie will gallop halfway round the world before the truth has time to pull its breeches on.” Eventually, this quote was just filed (ironically) on the internet as, “Smart Stuff Winston Churchill Said.” No matter, for over 300 years, we are well aware that sensational B.S. gets traction with the credulous and incredulous alike, before scientific, spin-free, fact (if in fact the latter ever arrives) gets its time on the world stage.

The United States is currently in the perfect storm, and I predict it will be hurt the worst, yes worse than Italy or Spain, or China - the latter had the ‘benefit’ of Extreme Social Control to impose a lock down in Wuhan and beyond to minimize the effect on its 1 Billion+ population. The unfortunate side effect is that with the current government in China we may never know the extent of the real numbers due to State Media Control and other unpleasant Authoritarian measures.

Rest assured however, the United States is going to be far, far worse. Boneheaded leadership that prioritize political victories above facts, massive and systemic defunding of all their key organizations to handle a situation of this kind, a public eduction system that has been on the brink for decades, a for-profit health care system that is reactionary to medical conditions rather than preventative or proactive, and a population weened on reality television, conspiracy theories, a depraved worship of guns, erosion of labour laws, and more people than ever living paycheque to paycheque.

The slow asphyxiation of the middle class in America as capital takes flight into the foreign bank holdings of the 1% may now fully show its ugliness. Murphy, the owner of that famous law, is sitting back with a Budweiser watching Fox News with a closet full of toilet paper and N95 masks. Now is the time for unity, not individualism, but the lions are already running free in the Coliseum. They eating the Christians, the Muslims and the Gladiators indiscriminately, while the rest of Rome burns, and the college students bacchanal on the Beach.

As the 3rd-World Field-Tent Hospitals are erected on the most expensive parcel of undeveloped land in the world (Manhattan’s Central Park) there is no shortage of Uber and Lyft drivers, Amazon Flex delivery persons, and other gig workers who risk exposure and unaffordable future hospital visits to make pennies for their corporate masters who have seen fit to not give them health benefits or any employee safety net as they use all of the 25% and up commissions to fight tooth and nail in courts around the United States and the world for the right to classify their Driver-Partners (i.e. employees) as Independant Contractors. The share-cropping practice of putting all the financial risk on the drivers has come to this: The first across-the-board life and death test when workers rights are fully minimized. If you are driving, generous use of common sense and enforcing your own personal vehicle rules has never been more important.

Some good news. Kind of. The FEMA deployments in LA and NYC are full steam ahead, and the Army Corps in the USA is an impressively massive machine. This will be all for naught, however, if the USA citizens cannot put down their “Give Me Freedom or Give Me Death” cultural attitude. Extreme personal freedom, in these times, compromises everyone else’s safety. Gun legislation on this does not give me hope. NSA and corporate surveillance, less so. It will be a real needle to thread to not surrender liberty at the promise of safety, while still preserving as much quality of life (or just life) as possible.

The official projections of 100,000 deaths for the USA alone, is appallingly high, when taken out of context, but against the 50,000,000 deaths in the 1918-1921 H1N1 Pandemic (~675,000 of those in the USA) it seems like progress. That is until you consider the 100,000 a ‘best-case’ estimate, and only includes COVID-19 deaths. The strained infrastructure that prevents other surgery and health care, and lack of essentials in times of hoarding, will cause many more. And this doesn’t even address the mental health, homeless, opioid crisis and suicide rates climbing in times where people feel hopeless.

The Italy situation, when the system gets overwhelmed the toll skyrockets, has not even peaked yet. Nonetheless, if the USA holds things back to ‘just a bad flu season,’ that would be a testament to the Trump Administration and the ever-diminishing notion of American Exceptionalism. This is administration famous for its bald-faced lies, so all bets are off in most arenas, including data accuracy. History will judge who wins this war, America or China, on several fronts: The Economy, Government response and accountability, and Social Stability.

Perhaps other nations will arise to fill the void of Super Power in the aftermath. The Summer Olympics may be postponed, but every day I visit the global statistics of COVID-19, cases, deaths, recoveries, the more it starts to look like the world medal standings. China and the USA, the two super-powers morbidly ‘top’ the chart, each with their own extreme political pathologies. With Italy and South Korea having narratives that are 180 degrees apart. There will be many stories

As we celebrated my son’s birthday, in the middle of our own 14 Day Lockdown, which my family is following to the letter, as we have seen what chaos in our otherwise highly professional hospitals look like. I give thanks that my own country had the good sense to have a (somewhat) robust national health care service, that leaves out the worries of unknown medical bills or crushing expenses. That the average person has good access to education, and understands this: that there is a time for pushing back at policy and government advice, and a time for coming together in national unity, for the benefit of our fellow citizens, particularly the elderly, their personal support workers, and our health care professionals. But even then, the Canadians, South Koreans, and Germans who have fared better than most so far, are in for tough times ahead. Perhaps even Post-War Britain times that required a stiff upper lip and butter instead of jam. Even when you 'win' a global war, there is a period where the cost must be borne. The United States (and Canada) has forgotten these lessons. We are about to be educated, as they say, in ‘real time.’

Stay Safe. Listen to fact based and scientific sources, and self-distance, isolate and quarantine where appropriate. Resist the emotionally-laced sensationalism and fog-of-war punditry offered by the media (Mainstream, Fringe, or Blogosphere - hell, even TikTok celebrities). Tamp down the urge to work if you can avoid it. Your health is not worth a few shekels in the long run, neither is the health of your parents or grand parents. Now is not the time for selfishness or ‘proving a point’ to the Libtards or the Sheeple, or the Cuckservatives. Now is the time for sacrifice, unity, level headedness and empathy. Do not hug your neighbours, rather, gently nod from 2 metres away.

Stay Healthy.
Good Luck.
Nice post, you touched all the bases and pulled on all the emo strings... and bashed Americans multiple times, go stuff yourself and your own. You don't know crap about what is happening any more than anyone else.

and ignore

View attachment 440748

Today was my son’s birthday. He was born in a hospital just outside the City of Toronto on March 31, 2003. This was the first day hospitals in Toronto and the surrounding area initiated isolation and tracing protocols for a deadly corona virus that caused acute respiratory distress: SARS. Doctors and nurses wore N95 masks, uncomfortably and not used to this level of protection in open parts of the hospital. Patients and visitors wore disposable surgical masks. Protocol and procedure changed by the minute. It was utter chaos. It was difficult to even get into the hospital while my wife was in labour; forms upon forms, hastily-assembled and administered by awkward hospital bureaucrats, just to get through the front door. Even when inside and in the labour ward, it was worrisome that if I left to go home and get anything during her 20+ hours in labour that I would not be allowed back into the building due to unclear Quarantine measures that were changing by the minute. We were fortunate that SARS blew itself out by the Summer of 2003, and even if cities like Hong Kong and Toronto faced a trying financial recovery, it was not quite the global story for long, the stage was set for a bigger, badder, sequel.

What has changed in the past few decades? Countries who went through SARS, Ebola, MERS or the various strains of HxNx Epidemics and Pandemics — South Korea, Canada, and The City-State of Hong Kong — have done marginally better in the case of SARS-CoV2 (which causes COVID-19, or more generally referred to as the Novel Corona Virus). Nonetheless, they have lost many of their elderly and immunocompromised citizens.

Countries where these previous diseases were spared have been woefully unprepared, through insufficient testing capability, a lack of clear protocols (i.e. a good national or even regional set of plans), funding, and personnel who specialize in this type of problem. Furthermore, many of these ill prepared countries have a selfish or individualism streak (most of the West) that prioritizes immediate social circle, over the good of their neighbours, and farther up the scale, the nation.

The lightning-quick spread of social media, algorithm-dictated news filtering and informational troll-farms (Fake News) of the past 10 years has amplified conspiracy theories and eroded respect for national institutions, particularly Government, but sadly also public heath bodies. Jonathan Swift in 1710 wrote, "Falsehood flies, and the truth comes limping after it.” This was later adapted by Roosevelt’s Secretary of State, Cordell Hull, who wrote: "A lie will gallop halfway round the world before the truth has time to pull its breeches on.” Eventually, this quote was just filed (ironically) on the internet as, “Smart Stuff Winston Churchill Said.” No matter, for over 300 years, we are well aware that sensational B.S. gets traction with the credulous and incredulous alike, before scientific, spin-free, fact (if in fact the latter ever arrives) gets its time on the world stage.

The United States is currently in the perfect storm, and I predict it will be hurt the worst, yes worse than Italy or Spain, or China - the latter had the ‘benefit’ of Extreme Social Control to impose a lock down in Wuhan and beyond to minimize the effect on its 1 Billion+ population. The unfortunate side effect is that with the current government in China we may never know the extent of the real numbers due to State Media Control and other unpleasant Authoritarian measures.

Rest assured however, the United States is going to be far, far worse. Boneheaded leadership that prioritize political victories above facts, massive and systemic defunding of all their key organizations to handle a situation of this kind, a public eduction system that has been on the brink for decades, a for-profit health care system that is reactionary to medical conditions rather than preventative or proactive, and a population weened on reality television, conspiracy theories, a depraved worship of guns, erosion of labour laws, and more people than ever living paycheque to paycheque.

The slow asphyxiation of the middle class in America as capital takes flight into the foreign bank holdings of the 1% may now fully show its ugliness. Murphy, the owner of that famous law, is sitting back with a Budweiser watching Fox News with a closet full of toilet paper and N95 masks. Now is the time for unity, not individualism, but the lions are already running free in the Coliseum. They eating the Christians, the Muslims and the Gladiators indiscriminately, while the rest of Rome burns, and the college students bacchanal on the Beach.

As the 3rd-World Field-Tent Hospitals are erected on the most expensive parcel of undeveloped land in the world (Manhattan’s Central Park) there is no shortage of Uber and Lyft drivers, Amazon Flex delivery persons, and other gig workers who risk exposure and unaffordable future hospital visits to make pennies for their corporate masters who have seen fit to not give them health benefits or any employee safety net as they use all of the 25% and up commissions to fight tooth and nail in courts around the United States and the world for the right to classify their Driver-Partners (i.e. employees) as Independant Contractors. The share-cropping practice of putting all the financial risk on the drivers has come to this: The first across-the-board life and death test when workers rights are fully minimized. If you are driving, generous use of common sense and enforcing your own personal vehicle rules has never been more important.

Some good news. Kind of. The FEMA deployments in LA and NYC are full steam ahead, and the Army Corps in the USA is an impressively massive machine. This will be all for naught, however, if the USA citizens cannot put down their “Give Me Freedom or Give Me Death” cultural attitude. Extreme personal freedom, in these times, compromises everyone else’s safety. Gun legislation on this does not give me hope. NSA and corporate surveillance, less so. It will be a real needle to thread to not surrender liberty at the promise of safety, while still preserving as much quality of life (or just life) as possible.

The official projections of 100,000 deaths for the USA alone, is appallingly high, when taken out of context, but against the 50,000,000 deaths in the 1918-1921 H1N1 Pandemic (~675,000 of those in the USA) it seems like progress. That is until you consider the 100,000 a ‘best-case’ estimate, and only includes COVID-19 deaths. The strained infrastructure that prevents other surgery and health care, and lack of essentials in times of hoarding, will cause many more. And this doesn’t even address the mental health, homeless, opioid crisis and suicide rates climbing in times where people feel hopeless.

The Italy situation, when the system gets overwhelmed the toll skyrockets, has not even peaked yet. Nonetheless, if the USA holds things back to ‘just a bad flu season,’ that would be a testament to the Trump Administration and the ever-diminishing notion of American Exceptionalism. This is administration famous for its bald-faced lies, so all bets are off in most arenas, including data accuracy. History will judge who wins this war, America or China, on several fronts: The Economy, Government response and accountability, and Social Stability.

Perhaps other nations will arise to fill the void of Super Power in the aftermath. The Summer Olympics may be postponed, but every day I visit the global statistics of COVID-19, cases, deaths, recoveries, the more it starts to look like the world medal standings. China and the USA, the two super-powers morbidly ‘top’ the chart, each with their own extreme political pathologies. With Italy and South Korea having narratives that are 180 degrees apart. There will be many stories

As we celebrated my son’s birthday, in the middle of our own 14 Day Lockdown, which my family is following to the letter, as we have seen what chaos in our otherwise highly professional hospitals look like. I give thanks that my own country had the good sense to have a (somewhat) robust national health care service, that leaves out the worries of unknown medical bills or crushing expenses. That the average person has good access to education, and understands this: that there is a time for pushing back at policy and government advice, and a time for coming together in national unity, for the benefit of our fellow citizens, particularly the elderly, their personal support workers, and our health care professionals. But even then, the Canadians, South Koreans, and Germans who have fared better than most so far, are in for tough times ahead. Perhaps even Post-War Britain times that required a stiff upper lip and butter instead of jam. Even when you 'win' a global war, there is a period where the cost must be borne. The United States (and Canada) has forgotten these lessons. We are about to be educated, as they say, in ‘real time.’

Stay Safe. Listen to fact based and scientific sources, and self-distance, isolate and quarantine where appropriate. Resist the emotionally-laced sensationalism and fog-of-war punditry offered by the media (Mainstream, Fringe, or Blogosphere - hell, even TikTok celebrities). Tamp down the urge to work if you can avoid it. Your health is not worth a few shekels in the long run, neither is the health of your parents or grand parents. Now is not the time for selfishness or ‘proving a point’ to the Libtards or the Sheeple, or the Cuckservatives. Now is the time for sacrifice, unity, level headedness and empathy. Do not hug your neighbours, rather, gently nod from 2 metres away.

Stay Healthy.
Good Luck.
Nature.
Thins the heard.

Life.
Designed to Kill you.

• Article Author Article Author
  • Article Author Article Author
Nature.
Thins the heard.

Life.
Designed to Kill you.
This is part of the reason why the whole 'If only the Chinese stopped eating bats and other unsafe animals' argument is a fallacy. When the number of people on Earth starts bumping up against 10 Billion, Mother Nature will continue to escalate her response to culling the culture (be it deer in the north, or bacteria in a petri dish). When the population gets too high, everyone dies, or nearly everyone, so the cycle can start again.
Post automatically merged:

We have entered a brave new world, where perhaps all those things people are saying is being melded into this new reality. I do not think we will see a return to what was as it was, but rather the large rearrangement of money will leave more than a mark. Everyone should get their box cutters out and start hacking at those box sides you have walling you in. Everything is going to change.

We have entered a brave new world, where perhaps all those things people are saying is being melded into this new reality. I do not think we will see a return to what was as it was, but rather the large rearrangement of money will leave more than a mark. Everyone should get their box cutters out and start hacking at those box sides you have walling you in. Everything is going to change.
Smaller Boxes are coming.

WORLD WIDE.

We will all have Globalist " Health Chips" in our " "REAL I.D.'s "!

They will use this.
To tighten the noose.

To " Sew the Bag Up ".

Smaller Boxes are coming.

WORLD WIDE.

We will all have Globalist " Health Chips" in our " "REAL I.D.'s "!

They will use this.
To tighten the noose.

To " Sew the Bag Up ".
Only if you allow that. Listen , most Americans live in tiny little boxes with extremely high sides. That is to say we ( modern humans not just Americans) tend to believe only the lies they are taught to believe. Independent thought has fallen by the wayside long ago. You can allow yourself to be stuffed into a smaller box, but that is your choice.

All change brings opportunity. Do not run and hide from this change, but rather figure out how to make it work best for you.

Only if you allow that. Listen , most Americans live in tiny little boxes with extremely high sides. That is to say we ( modern humans not just Americans) tend to believe only the lies they are taught to believe. Independent thought has fallen by the wayside long ago. You can allow yourself to be stuffed into a smaller box, but that is your choice.

All change brings opportunity. Do not run and hide from this change, but rather figure out how to make it work best for you.
" FREE WILL " !

YES, but even beyond that. Making better choices. Choices that will lead you toward your goals and not away from them. Diversifying income and becoming aware of not just your current circumstances, but the opportunities that are around you that will help you find your way forward.

Everyone should be reassessing their goal boards and what the branches of that trees look like, and making alternate plans.

Yesterday is gone, and tomorrow is still unknown.
Everyone has Free will. Most just do not know what to do with it.

View attachment 440748

The slow asphyxiation of the middle class in America as capital takes flight into the foreign bank holdings of the 1% may now fully show its ugliness. Murphy, the owner of that famous law, is sitting back with a Budweiser watching Fox News with a closet full of toilet paper and N95 masks. Now is the time for unity, not individualism, but the lions are already running free in the Coliseum. They are eating the Christians, the Muslims, and the Gladiators indiscriminately, while the rest of Rome burns, and the college students bacchanal on the Beach.

The Italy situation, when the system gets overwhelmed the toll skyrockets, has not even peaked yet. Nonetheless, if the USA holds things back to ‘just a bad flu season,’ that would be a testament to the Trump Administration and the ever-diminishing notion of American Exceptionalism. This is an administration famous for its bald-faced lies, so all bets are off in most arenas, including data accuracy. History will judge who wins this war, America or China, on several fronts: The Economy, Government response & accountability, and Social Stability.

Perhaps other nations will arise to fill the void of Super Power in the aftermath. The Summer Olympics may be postponed, but every day I visit the global statistics of COVID-19, cases, deaths, recoveries, the more it starts to look like the world medal standings. China and the USA, the two super-powers morbidly ‘top’ the chart, each with their own extreme political pathologies. With Italy and South Korea having narratives that are 180 degrees apart. There will be many stories to be told after all this has passed.

Stay Safe. Listen to fact based and scientific sources, and self-distance, isolate and quarantine where appropriate. Resist the emotionally-laced sensationalism and fog-of-war punditry offered by the media (Mainstream, Fringe, or Blogosphere - hell, even TikTok celebrities). Tamp down the urge to work in the Gig Economy, if you can avoid it. Your health is not worth a few shekels in the long run, neither is the health of your parents or grandparents. Now is not the time for selfishness or ‘proving a point’ to the Libtards or the Sheeple, or the Cuckservatives. Now is the time for sacrifice, unity, level headedness and empathy. Do not hug your neighbours, rather, gently nod from 2 metres away.

Stay Healthy.
Good Luck.
Unbelievable what has just happened to the entire global community. This will be as disruptive as the events leading up to WWII and its' gruesome aftermath. A person who frequents the county and is a scientist and not a doctor, has a friend who is an ER Physician and he sent this are way yesterday. Please consider carefully before showing to your family. Also best not to pass it on until I can be absolutely assured this is legitimate accounting. I see that FB has quickly taken this down.

I am an ER MD in New Orleans, Every one of my colleagues have now seen several hundred Covid 19 patients and this is what I think I know.

Clinical course is predictable.
2-11 days after exposure (day 5 on average) flu like symptoms start. Common are fever, headache, dry cough, myalgias(back pain), nausea without vomiting, abdominal discomfort with some diarrhea, loss of smell, anorexia, fatigue.

Day 5 of symptoms- increased SOB, and bilateral viral pneumonia from direct viral damage to lung parenchyma.

Day 10- Cytokine storm leading to acute ARDS and multiorgan failure. You can literally watch it happen in a matter of hours.

81% mild symptoms, 14% severe symptoms requiring hospitalization, 5% critical.

Patient presentation is varied. Patients are coming in hypoxic (even 75%) without dyspnea. I have seen Covid patients present with encephalopathy, renal failure from dehydration, DKA. I have seen the bilateral interstitial pneumonia on the xray of the asymptomatic shoulder dislocation or on the CT's of the (respiratory) asymptomatic polytrauma patient. Essentially if they are in my ER, they have it. Seen three positive flu swabs in 2 weeks and all three had Covid 19 as well. Somehow this ***** has told all other disease processes to get out of town.

China reported 15% cardiac involvement. I have seen covid 19 patients present with myocarditis, pericarditis, new onset CHF and new onset atrial fibrillation. I still order a troponin, but no cardiologist will treat no matter what the number in a suspected Covid 19 patient. Even our non covid 19 STEMIs at all of our facilities are getting TPA in the ED and rescue PCI at 60 minutes only if TPA fails.

Diagnostic
CXR- bilateral interstitial pneumonia (anecdotally starts most often in the RLL so bilateral on CXR is not required). The hypoxia does not correlate with the CXR findings. Their lungs do not sound bad. Keep your stethoscope in your pocket and evaluate with your eyes and pulse ox.

Labs- WBC low, Lymphocytes low, platelets lower then their normal, Procalcitonin normal in 95%
CRP and Ferritin elevated most often. CPK, D-Dimer, LDH, Alk Phos/AST/ALT commonly elevated.
Notice D-Dimer- I would be very careful about CT PE these patients for their hypoxia. The patients receiving IV contrast are going into renal failure and on the vent sooner.

Basically, if you have a bilateral pneumonia with normal to low WBC, lymphopenia, normal procalcitonin, elevated CRP and ferritin- you have covid-19 and do not need a nasal swab to tell you that.

A ratio of absolute neutrophil count to absolute lymphocyte count greater than 3.5 may be the highest predictor of poor outcome. the UK is automatically intubating these patients for expected outcomes regardless of their clinical presentation.

An elevated Interleukin-6 (IL6) is an indicator of their cytokine storm. If this is elevated watch these patients closely with both eyes.

Other factors that appear to be predictive of poor outcomes are thrombocytopenia and LFTs 5x upper limit of normal.

Disposition
I had never discharged multifocal pneumonia before. Now I personally do it 12-15 times a shift. 2 weeks ago we were admitting anyone who needed supplemental oxygen. Now we are discharging with oxygen if the patient is comfortable and oxygenating above 92% on nasal cannula. We have contracted with a company that sends a paramedic to their home twice daily to check on them and record a pulse ox. We know many of these patients will bounce back but if it saves a bed for a day we have accomplished something. Obviously we are fearful some won't make it back.

We are a small community hospital. Our 22 bed ICU and now a 4 bed Endoscopy suite are all Covid 19. All of these patients are intubated except one. 75% of our floor beds have been cohorted into covid 19 wards and are full. We are averaging 4 rescue intubations a day on the floor. We now have 9 vented patients in our ER transferred down from the floor after intubation.

Luckily we are part of a larger hospital group. Our main teaching hospital repurposed space to open 50 new Covid 19 ICU beds this past Sunday so these numbers are with significant decompression. Today those 50 beds are full. They are opening 30 more by Friday. But even with the "lockdown", our AI models are expecting a 200-400% increase in covid 19 patients by 4/4/2020.

Treatment
Supportive

worldwide 86% of covid 19 patients that go on a vent die. Seattle reporting 70%. Our hospital has had 5 deaths and one patient who was extubated. Extubation happens on day 10 per the Chinese and day 11 per Seattle.

Plaquenil which has weak ACE2 blockade doesn't appear to be a savior of any kind in our patient population. Theoretically, it may have some prophylactic properties but so far it is difficult to see the benefit to our hospitalized patients, but we are using it and the studies will tell. With Plaquenil's potential QT prolongation and liver toxic effects (both particularly problematic in covid 19 patients), I am not longer selectively prescribing this medication as I stated on a previous post.

We are also using Azithromycin, but are intermittently running out of IV.

Do not give these patient's standard sepsis fluid resuscitation. Be very judicious with the fluids as it hastens their respiratory decompensation. Outside the DKA and renal failure dehydration, leave them dry.

Proning vented patients significantly helps oxygenation. Even self proning the ones on nasal cannula helps.

Vent settings- Usual ARDS stuff, low volume, permissive hypercapnia, etc. Except for Peep of 5 will not do. Start at 14 and you may go up to 25 if needed.

Do not use Bipap- it does not work well and is a significant exposure risk with high levels of aerosolized virus to you and your staff. Even after a cough or sneeze this virus can aerosolize up to 3 hours.

The same goes for nebulizer treatments. Use MDI. you can give 8-10 puffs at one time of an albuterol MDI. Use only if wheezing which isn't often with covid 19. If you have to give a nebulizer must be in a negative pressure room; and if you can, instruct the patient on how to start it after you leave the room.

Do not use steroids, it makes this worse. Push out to your urgent cares to stop their usual practice of steroid shots for their URI/bronchitis.

We are currently out of Versed, Fentanyl, and intermittently Propofol. Get the dosing of Precedex and Nimbex back in your heads.

One of my colleagues who is a 31 yo old female who graduated residency last may with no health problems and normal BMI is out with the symptoms and an SaO2 of 92%. She will be the first of many.

I PPE best I have. I do wear a MaxAir PAPR the entire shift. I do not take it off to eat or drink during the shift. I undress in the garage and go straight to the shower. My wife and kids fled to her parents outside Hattiesburg. The stress and exposure at work coupled with the isolation at home is trying. But everyone is going through something right now. Everyone is scared; patients and employees. But we are the leaders of that emergency room. Be nice to your nurses and staff. Show by example how to tackle this crisis head on. Good luck to us all."

You must not be following real news and you are a fake news addict, the spread in USA has slowed down, and with warm weather coming there is a good chance the curve will flatten. Keep fantasizing and dreaming about the demise of America, watch us americans prove you wrong over and over and over again and again like we have been doing for the past few centuries.

You must not be following real news and you are a fake news addict, the spread in USA has slowed down, and with warm weather coming there is a good chance the curve will flatten. Keep fantasizing and dreaming about the demise of America, watch us americans prove you wrong over and over and over again and again like we have been doing for the past few centuries.
I have never seen you on UP forum and have no idea what your intentions are but we are a tight collective of drivers and past drivers who are for the most part very science literate and vet to the best of our abilities. My 31 years in science and medical publishing along with my colleagues here called this as early as mid January. If you have anything that is science based feel free to contribute but to this point the epidemiology is very clear and precise, this is an unprecedented pandemic. If you really want to delve into the complexity please note how complicated this will be with the most recent accounting as of yesterday morning of 2,434 full #SARSCoV2 genomes now @GISAID, sorting as 3 clades plus "others." •S clade 565 genomes •G clade 1,064 •V clade 230 •Other clades 575 North America is overwhelmingly S clade. Europe & nor West Africa are G clade. There's clear geographical COVID19 distribution.

" FREE WILL " !
That's how the Donald ended up in power during Americas worst crisis ever..

Geez.. what's wrong with you and some of your fellow Americans. Why do you think Canada fantasizes about Americas demise? What happened to you as a child to skew your thought process so drastically?

Canadians have family and friends in the US. We enjoy your media and benefit from trade.

And most importantly, who's mistakes are we going to learn from if not Americas? "You guys seem to be the absolute best, doing a tremendous job at screwing up...:

Ok. Let's get to the meat and potatoes of this argument. The spread has not slowed down. If you don't believe science then at least read the following article about how selfish and stupid people can be

Here is some food for thought on American humanity.

Ps. I bet Americans are missing Obama right about now

Last edited:
---------------------------------
Exactly what news are you referring to ??? Please produce the news link that states that this virus is slowing down or even close to flattening out. I watch world news and American news 3X a day and it is grim.

Kurt --- thank you, Well written. Be safe !!

This is part of the reason why the whole 'If only the Chinese stopped eating bats and other unsafe animals' argument is a fallacy. When the number of people on Earth starts bumping up against 10 Billion, Mother Nature will continue to escalate her response to culling the culture (be it deer in the north, or bacteria in a petri dish). When the population gets too high, everyone dies, or nearly everyone, so the cycle can start again.
So where does this exactly originate from? And is there soemthing to show that it will fly from animal to animal organically?

better question is since the existence of this type of viruses are known, even if it’s a new strain, what education and preventative measures have been taught to folks in rural areas or just collectively as a whole?