1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Stop posting your weekly numbers

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Julescase, Jul 8, 2018.

1. I'm giving advice in this thread, not asking for it.

Please - I beg of you- try to fight the overwhelming urge to post your weekly earnings on this site when you do unusually well. I get it, and I am jealous. :eek: High numbers don't come easily and it's obvious anyone making good money doing the rideshare thing is working very hard; it's truly commendable.

That being said, all you're doing when you post your unusually high week's pay on UP.net is guaranteeing 3,000 new drivers will be signed up in your market by Monday. Essentially you just cemented the fact that you'll never see those numbers again.

It also gives any pax reading this site (and pax DO read this site) the false idea that every driver is bringing in numbers like yours regularly, hence lowering the chance of them tipping on their next ride since drivers are "making bank" (which we all know is laughable). I've had conversations with pax who had been told by previous drivers of theirs that making $8,000 per month driving Uber X was the norm. This pax truly thought it was easy for drivers to make $2,000 a week and told me about how past drivers talked about huge bonuses (quests) and the surges drivers receive..... I laughed out loud when this guy told me that he thought $2000 per week was an average amount for an X driver to make. And shockingly (not really) this pax didn't tip. Why would he?

Next time you feel the need to post screenshots of your week, remember that you're just encouraging every Tom, Richard and Harry to become an Uber driver because it's "easy money". Which is essentially like taking money out of your wallet and putting it in someone else's. :confused:o_O

2. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber

Driving:
    UberX
    I've seen it with my own eyes. I call them the "paper-plate ants." They finance new vehicles, and before they even have permanent plates on their vehicle they jump into the airport queue thinking the big money is going to roll in. Three months later their vehicle is being repossessed.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  3. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Welp, I'm guilty. Slap the cuffs on me and let's go for a ride. Just don't pull my hair, it hurts

4. T&W

T&W

Agree 100%! Worse than the pax asking how much I make is hearing the stories of the brother in law of the pax who is making “six figures” or the “last guy who drove me has a whole fleet of cars.” BS. I make six figures, too, counting decimals. Who actually believes you can make more driving strangers around than you can in most professions?

5. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust

Earnings being posted are generally an anomaly. They usually represent holidays or high demand time periods and don’t represent their average earnings over a long period of time. Jules point is well made.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  6. Don't forget Sally o_O

7. Listen41

Listen41

Driving:
    UberX
    Lies and lies and more lies.

jgiun1 likes this.
  8. Who is John Galt?

Who is John Galt?

Driving:
    UberX

I just spoke to Richard and he said to tell you, don't be a wiener, call him Dïck.

9. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    Hey, there's a reason the French call it "La Petite Mort"....

10. My ears are burning...

jgiun1, Ad nauseam and Cableguynoe like this.
  11. steveK2016

steveK2016

Driving:
    UberXL
    I'm in Los Angeles and I make $2,500 a week EASY with just 30 hours of driving on X only, no surge!!!

I'm evil, I know, dont forget to welcome those 3000 new drivers in your market JulescaseJulescase !!!

12. oldfart

oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    Those big weeks are either pure luck or the guy (or gal) really knows what he is doing.

I don’t see those posts helping or hurting me. And I don’t see them influencing new drivers anymore than the doom and gloom posts I see here, do

Gotta tell you though, when I have my first $2000 week I’m goung to tell everyone

13. I think most of the drivers signing up dont have the brains or the work ethic to make $2K plus a week. If you are smart and willing to hustle for 40 a week its pretty straightforward. Not great money IMHO but it gets me by

too many newbies refuse to go to the action and want to only work mommie hours moving white people. Its a job not a diversiom

14. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    How many new riders do you think found this site prior to signing up with Uber? Most drivers I meet never heard of UPN.

15. touberornottouber

touberornottouber

Driving:
    UberX
    This forum comes up as the #1 result in Google when searching "uber forum". It also comes up on the first page when searching for "Uber daytona". Likely it is the same for your city as well.

edit: This forum comes up as result #18 for me in Google when searching for "Uber chicago". That's still the first page for me due to my settings but I think most might have it set to 10 results per page. Either way that is the prime term but for "uber driver chicago" this forum comes up as the #5 result which is definitely the first page for all settings.

16. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I guess what I am saying is, most looked for a forum after driving for a bit, rather than reading UPN and deciding driving was a good idea. Think about it. If you never drove, but came here and read half of the posts complaining about how riders suck, the company sucks, the pay is low, so and so is scamming me... would your first, second or even third thought be, "hey, I think I'll get me some of that"?

I believe most drivers thought to sign up after seeing ads about side hustle, and such.

let me ask, why did you all sign up? I did so to cover car payments on a new car.

17. Goduckies

Goduckies

I post my earnings as a guide to what is possible. I do it as a service to other drivers or possible drivers like me who didn't know what was out there. I also post you have to work hard for those numbers and be smart.

jgiun1 and Grand Lake like this.
  18. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    I've seen a number of drivers post outrageous earnings here and I simply don't believe most of them. Not unless you can show me cities where it surges 24/7.

jgiun1 and Julescase like this.

19. I read the site for a few months before signing up to drive. I had been a Pax for years. All it takes is a quick Google search about anything Uber-related; if the topic was mentioned anywhere on this site, a link to the specific thread comes up. That's how I learned of the site - I googled a couple of Uber topics that I was curious about as a passenger and I've been addicted ever since.

Right - this is literally EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

First off, many drivers post their weekly earnings and claim that they were only working for 40 or 50 hours per week, when in reality they actually put in about 70 or 80 hours a week, 40 or 50 of those being online. Hence, you have people thinking they can make great numbers if they drive for 40 or 50 hours a week - which anyone who drives X knows is untrue.

It seems like drivers are doing nothing more than reducing their earnings with all those posts - all it does is give people the wrong idea. Next thing you know, thousands more are on the streets competing for a quickly shrinking dollar amount.

tirewear and jgiun1 like this.
  20. Zebonkey

Zebonkey

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Most of the times, when I see high earnings for a week, I also see some crazy hours online. Like in the neighborhood of 80. And 7 days of straight anting.
    I barely have any life doing 40-50 hours tops. So I'd rather make a little less working half the time.
    So when they try to brag, I'm, like, no, thanks. I am not that ambitious. And, actually, feel kinda sorry for them, steadily driving towards an eminent heart attack or a stroke.

jgiun1 and Julescase like this.