1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Stop asking pax preffered route!!

Discussion in 'Ratings' started by MR5STAR, Jun 2, 2015.

1. MR5STAR

MR5STAR Well-Known Member

Be in charge of the situation. Asking this makes u seem weak and pax will feel that you are inexperienced. I have never asked pax this in 1k+ rides. You think asking them will boost your ratings but it wont.

stephan likes this.
  2. Emp9

Emp9 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    i agree i dont ask , i only follow along if they tell me a different route to take.

Bart McCoy likes this.
  3. duggles

duggles Well-Known Member

I don't ask as a rule of thumb. However, if the Lyft/Uber suggested route is questionable, and I don't agree, I'll quickly explain to them the two route options and why I think the other is my preference.

Yesterday a girl was giving me standard directions to a location, however, it was in the middle of rush hour and we would have sat in an extra 10-15 minutes of traffic with her route. I said, "If you trust me, xxx route will be more efficient and we can avoid sitting in traffic." She was a-ok with it.

Ziggy and Actionjax like this.
  4. Emp9

Emp9 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    bhaa if i get a smart alec taking a longer route then i roll with it. 80 percent of their "short cuts" take longer and i make more.

5. UberHammer

UberHammer Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Asking a pax for their preferred route is like asking your wife to determine how to spend your income.

6. Nick tardy

Nick tardy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I ask occasionally when there's a couple different routes, or if the shortest route miles wise is 10+ of surface streets. I'll ask if the freeway is ok so that way they can't complain about how I milked the miles

7. DrJeecheroo

DrJeecheroo Well-Known Member

I"ll do it on occasion, if there are a couple of ways to go that are close in distance. As long as they know that you know where you're going and not trying to long-haul, you should be okay.

zMann and ReviTULize like this.
  8. ReviTULize

ReviTULize Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I will ask if my preferred route is longer distance but faster.
    Also, whenever a toll road is involved so that they will be aware of the extra. I have to email Uber to have them manually added each time.

9. DrJeecheroo

DrJeecheroo Well-Known Member

One of the best comments on here. I have to admit I was a bit put off by the way the OP worded the title, but I'm glad I took the time to read other comments like yours.

ReviTULize likes this.
  10. MR5STAR

MR5STAR Well-Known Member

I have seena lot of posts recently where people think asking pax preffered route will help their ratings. It won't help thats all im saying.

11. DetroitMichael

DetroitMichael New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I still keep my GPS app on. I use Waze. If the pax wants their own route, it typically ends up costing them more, but I still keep Waze on. I've been ride-sharing for some time; I also use recording, and the notice is posted in my car per MI law. The "ideal" route is recorded in the background. I started recording for puke damage and uncontrolled pax. It has proven to my advantage for pax preferred routes. Even though the pax had to type in the surge differential on the app, I mention it again when they get in and have a recording of the pax acknowledging the surge from the start of the ride. Honestly, it does little to help my ratings, but at least I can sleep at night with proof available.

Adieu and Ziggy like this.
  12. Lidman

Lidman Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I agree. Some of these pax (who don't know the area) make the mistake of thinking that all cab drivers will automatically suggest a route that's the longest way possible. What usually happens? They end up paying more because of what you mentioned, thinking their route must be better. I have no problem feeding their ego, if it puts more money in my pocket.

13. ARIV005

ARIV005 Well-Known Member

I don't ask and I also do Stop, Drop and Roll...

14. UberXking

UberXking Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I've asked over 3,000 times. Who knows how to get to their home better than the person living there. On average it's a good question 1/2 the time. You have no need to worry nor try to improve something you have no control over. Work hard and do the right thing. Nobody has been deactivated for donating their car and working for peanuts. NOBODY

15. frndthDuvel

frndthDuvel Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It doesn't hurt. Sometimes riders do know the shortcuts. And like others have said,often times it results in a longer trip listening to riders. Works for me.

ReviTULize likes this.
  16. Emp9

Emp9 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    what i find is its mostly the females. there can be 3 guys 1 girl or a couple and like clock work the female will hint the route is too long or inefficient. pay attention sometimes its subtle like (oh this is a different view from this way, or i guess you could go this way. even if its a straight shot to highway and off it. smh

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  17. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Definitely... Worst case, stuck in traffic and on a long trip, ask Waze for alternatives and offer "would you like more miles and faster, or stay in traffic longer?"

18. TBone

TBone Well-Known Member

I almost always decline to take the route a pax suggests. I just tell them I prefer to take the route provided by Uber, even if it is may seem out of the way, because that is the approved route and may save them time or money. In reality, it mostly saves me time and I can get them out of the car faster in hopes of another fare. 5-10 minutes of additional time for one pax translates to a lost ride on a busy Friday night. Listen to several people and now your down multiple rides over the course of the evening.
    WE ARE THE ONES IN CHARGE and riders must remember that. In the last two weeks, I have told one pax to "F*** Off" after I went to the wrong address and he called and told me he was in a park and didn't know the name or location. The second woman got hung up on and her ride cancelled after I called her to tell her I was at the corner, instead of in front of the building (because it was more convenient for me), and she responded in a *****y voice with "I am not walking." She continued to talk but the next thing she heard was me hanging up. I am not taking grief from anyone for a $2.40 ride.

19. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    When the 92-yo boss of a truck depot tells me which exit is navigable, and which one is a fubar'd tire killer, I LISTEN....

When some stoned out of her mind coed, who explodes in wheezing laughter every time I shift gears (Idfk, do I look like a substance abuse counselor?), belatedly tells me where to turn - on a route that lies within 1 mi of 3 houses I've grown up in, two of my staging spots, my old high school, the lot I learned to drive in, and the park where I first got a taste of baaaaaad blonde girls - this back when said coed was in diapers, I have to suppress my laughter.

And then I complain to support about these people.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  20. Tequila Jake

Tequila Jake Well-Known Member

I will ask the best way to get to a main street from a maze of suburban side streets. But then I find if a passenger offers directions, 80% of the time they will be worse than Google or Apple maps.