Still no ABNs?

CP2

Hey guys, long time listener first time caller.

So I'm an avid Uber user and social Uber driver. As a driver I try to keep up to date with most of the Uber news, so it's always fun talking to drivers as a passenger and hearing their responses about certain things. Since Aug 1, my favourite topic has been GST and ABNs.

I've taken at least 10 trips since that time. Not a single person has a had an ABN or registered for GST. Not one.

Some have said they just started driving for uber, so they didn't even know about it. Some have been driving for over a year and have eaten up the company line about Uber going to fed court to overturn the decision so they are waiting on that.

I feel like ATO are going to have a field day after the first BAS is due and they use their data matching software.

What's everyone else's experiences? I'm registered for ABN and GST, but now I feel like I'm the only one?

anOzzieUber

I'm registered for GST, but haven't driven for Uber since the Aug 1 deadline.

You are right about the first BAS instalment deadline - the juice will start running on those who haven't registered an ABN with GST after Oct 30 (think that is the deadline for the 1st Qtr BAS for the 2015/16 FY?). Pretty sure you could still register for both and back date without penalty, the ATO is fairly forgiving if you are honest with them.

I lay major blame at Uber though - they know full well what the current situation is. Sure they are fighting the ATO in court, and for all we know, they may win. But that doesn't change the fact that for now the ruling states Uber drivers must register for both and pay GST. Uber will not "got your back" when you cop a $660 fine for late lodgement of a BAS, nor the interest payable on GST and PAYG being paid in time.

TheSnowman

I lay major blame at Uber though - they know full well what the current situation is. Sure they are fighting the ATO in court, and for all we know, they may win.
On that point, I hear Ray Hadley state on 4BC Brisbane 2GB Sydney, that IF they (UBER) are successful with that court case, the taxi companies have their lawyers lined up to charge right in there and submit their case!!!

anOzzieUber

On that point, I hear Ray Hadley state on 4BC Brisbane 2GB Sydney, that IF they (UBER) are successful with that court case, the taxi companies have their lawyers lined up to charge right in there and submit their case!!!
And if they want to have their case be heard that they no longer need to be registered for nor pay GST, then I'd fully back them in that claim, but if they are hoping for previous GST paid to be refunded they are no chance.

But as I've said previously, I think Uber should be charging GST. The big trouble with this is that Uber's price is not regulated, so Uber will just drop rates (as they already did) and let the Uber driver take it up the ass to pay for it.

Instyle

I've reported 23 and counting active Uber drivers since 1st Aug to ATO with full details, No one from this board.

Happy Ubering!

Sydney Uber

Hey guys, long time listener first time caller.

So I'm an avid Uber user and social Uber driver. As a driver I try to keep up to date with most of the Uber news, so it's always fun talking to drivers as a passenger and hearing their responses about certain things. Since Aug 1, my favourite topic has been GST and ABNs.

I've taken at least 10 trips since that time. Not a single person has a had an ABN or registered for GST. Not one.

Some have said they just started driving for uber, so they didn't even know about it. Some have been driving for over a year and have eaten up the company line about Uber going to fed court to overturn the decision so they are waiting on that.

I feel like ATO are going to have a field day after the first BAS is due and they use their data matching software.

What's everyone else's experiences? I'm registered for ABN and GST, but now I feel like I'm the only one?
Can I guess the demographic of the typical non-ABN holding UBER driver?

Would young overseas Student / newly arrived immigrant be over-represented in your survey of 10 drivers?

Folk who have Visa's or little "invested" in this country will not think twice about avoiding paying Tax to a country they have little connection with.

Uber itself is quite happy to waltz into Australia, have its staff, executives and drivers PROFIT from the social system and infrastructure of the country without contributing one dollar. So that is the attitude it happily passes on in its business model.

I hope that the ATO a can retain its independence from Treasury (who are starting to look like lick-spittles for UBER) and nail them with back taxes and a huge fine.

Why does UBER think IT shouldn't contribute to the upkeep of Australian society?

CP2

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Would young overseas Student / newly arrived immigrant be over-represented in your survey of 10 drivers?

Folk who have Visa's or little "invested" in this country will not think twice about avoiding paying Tax to a country they have little connection with.

Uber itself is quite happy to waltz into Australia, have its staff, executives and drivers PROFIT from the social system and infrastructure of the country without contributing one dollar. So that is the attitude it happily passes on in its business model.

I hope that the ATO a can retain its independence from Treasury (who are starting to look like lick-spittles for UBER) and nail them with back taxes and a huge fine.

Why does UBER think IT shouldn't contribute to the upkeep of Australian society?
It's been about 60/40, international/domestic. Usually the domestic guys have used the "I haven't heard anything about it" excuse and the international used the "Ubers got our back and fighting for us in court so I'll wait it out" excuse.

Sydney Uber

It's been about 60/40, international/domestic. Usually the domestic guys have used the "I haven't heard anything about it" excuse and the international used the "Ubers got our back and fighting for us in court so I'll wait it out" excuse.
60/40 ! So UBER's business model even attracts a higher percentage of transient/ non-invested folk to be their workforce. On a whole they don't represent more than 15-20% of of the general population

anOzzieUber

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-17/multinational-tax-avoiders-could-be-named-and-shamed/6701550

Not that I think Uber will give two shits, but I'm sure they will be in this list when the legislation passes. The Australian government really needs to grow a pair and say to all multi-nationals that if they aren't willing to pay corporate tax on their earnings here in Australia then they can no do business here. It's one thing for an american company to sell stuff to Australian citizens (Amazon) but it's another for them to set up here and sell their products and/or services and not pay tax (Uber/Apple).

leadcurescancer

I've reported 23 and counting active Uber drivers since 1st Aug to ATO with full details, No one from this board.

Happy Ubering!
There is no need to report anyone Instyle, the ATO will catch every single one of them as they have stated, use your time to enjoy your life and let the ATO round up the ignorant and stupid. Uber have so much to answer for, it may not have any legal requirement to inform Uber drivers but surely they have a moral requirement but here I am contradicting myself. Uber do not understand the law and Uber is not a person, if it was it would be Paul Keating without the brains and his loving personality. Think of the old political cartoons.

hostertully

The ATO's guidance for 'Ridesharing' participants are all here:
https://www.ato.gov.au/business/gst...e-sourcing-and-your-tax-obligations/?sbnride2

It would be irresponsible for the driver to not take heed of the ATO advice. It is irresponsible of Uber to not point out these requirements to new drivers.

whats not in the ATO's page in the link above are the fines applicable for 'Ridesharing' drivers who have not registered for ABN and GST by 1st Aug. I found that in news articles here:
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/t...ber-drivers-who-avoid-gst-registration-2015-7

Drivers without registering ABN and GST are risking a $3600 fine if caught without an ABN and GST registration. And it's very likely they will get caught.

cpt.awesome

Actually this isn't even possible. To drive for Uber in Australia you need to have held an open Australian licence for at least 1 year.

Anyone who hasn't registered for GST should either do it or sign up for partnerpeople immediately. (sorry, too new to link)
If you don't, you will be caught. The same thing happened to ebay sellers who dodged tax for years.
In 6 months time when there's a news headline reading: '780 Uber drivers fined/audited for tax evasion!', you will be relieved that you did the right thing.