1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Still have not seen 1099 on line

Discussion in 'Taxes' started by filldebasket, Jan 31, 2018.

1. paulmsr

paulmsr Well-Known Member

even last year the 1099-MISC was only for money paid to us directly by uber (i.e. promotions and referrals). even tho they say we're contractors they dont even treat us like that, they act as a third party, it's why they only send the 1099-K

2. jjsohio

jjsohio New Member

I sure would like to know when I can expect the 1099 in whatever version they elect to use.

3. paulmsr

its been posted many times if you've earned under 20k in gross, you will not get the 1099-K and if they havent paid you more than $600 in bonuses then you won't get the 1099-MISC

4. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Driving:
    Lyft

Is this just an Uber policy / difference ? Because i drove for both PT last year in CA, I earned around $3800 from lyft and received a 1099-K , I earned around $2300 from uber (after their nearly $1200 cut...), yet did not receive a 1099 .

i keep logging in expecting one , but if should stop , let me know . just curious if i am the only one confused by this .

i had heard that in CA , if you earn over $ 600 as a freelancer / untaxed worker that you are supposed to get an official tax form .

(side note , their fees listed some $ 600 as an Uber Service Fee/Other Adjustments , then an additional $550 for a Booking Fee... anyone know what that is all about ?? Isn 't the whole purpose of Uber / Lyft that they are Booking the rides for us ? So why the extra Service Fee ?? )

5. hello it is sue

hello it is sue New Member

I am so confused. Tax report area says IF I DIDNT sign up for electronic it will come in the mail but I cannot find an area to determine what choice I picked. So I of course have updated my address. But I am confused as to if I will get a 1099. They have some bogus yearly summary that is useless on the webpage. So do I get a 1099 if my GROSS earning are above $600? Mine are $2234. My net earnings say $1429. Can I use these numbers? Also I kept my gas receipts and such from when I was driving, can I declare all that on my taxes? What did you all do?

6. NUBER-LE

NUBER-LE Well-Known Member

Schedule C using the sunmary uber sent you. Only report the earnings you received and deduct mileage. I did mine like that, uber will not give 1099 unless u made over 20,000 dollars. So IRS doesnt even know you earned the money. But schedule C using the summary. I paid like 300 in taxes for 7000 earnings.

7. hello it is sue

hello it is sue New Member

But they say if you make more than $600 you will get a 1099 Misc....and only over $20,000 do you get a 1099 K. So which is it? This is very confusing!
    I see the below listed, so seems like I should of gotten one. Also, yes we deduct mileage, but also gas and expenses too right?

As an independent contractor, you may receive a 1099-K and/or 1099-MISC form.
    We will provide you with a 1099-K if you earned at least $20,000 in gross unadjusted payments, and you provided at least 200 trips. If you do not meet both of these thresholds, you will not receive a 1099-K.
    We will provide you with a 1099-Misc if you received at least $600 in non-rider payments (i.e. referrals, on-trip promotions)
    If you meet these requirements and opted to receive your forms electronically, these documents will be on your Partner Dashboard by January 31, 2018. If you did not opt in for electronic delivery, you'll receive your tax forms via mail after February 1, 2018.
    If you don't qualify for either type of 1099, you'll still receive an Uber Tax Summary. This Tax Summary will give you the annual earnings information you need to easily file your taxes.

Has anyone one of you gotten a 1099misc? Thanks

8. paulmsr

did you make over 20k gross??? No? Then no 1099-K

did Uber pay you over $600 in promotions (i.e. boost, quest, etc?) No? Then no 1099-MISC.

not that confusing

yes Uber decided to just follow the guidelines.. Last year I received a 1099-K with only about 8k in earnings.. This year I did not receive one it looks like they decided to do the bare minimum this year.

9. Michael Alan Basore

Michael Alan Basore New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Hi all:

I think the real question here is: "How do I file my uber income without a 1099?"
    Why you didn't get a 1099-K or 1099-Misc has already been covered. If you're still not clear on this, please re-read in detail..

If you really want to know how to file without a 1099, go back to the Tax forums and read a post from CamrySE, titled: How to file 2017 Uber Tax Summary w/ Turbo Tax. In this message, CamrySE explains HOW to file income without a 1099. Which is really your question here.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

paulmsr likes this.
  10. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen New Member

That's the position I'm taking. My only concern is I can't get a "yes" or "no" answer from Uber on whether Uber is going to report the income to the IRS. If they're not, fine, but I want a written "no" so my backside is covered with the IRS. Calling their telephone support is pointless. I have no ill-will to the people working Uber's phones, but it's difficult to communicate with them, and they will not pass you on to the next level of phone support. I had a bit more luck addressing them through Facebook Messenger (!), but again, no solid confirmation of whether Uber is reporting to IRS or not. I think I'm done with Uber.

11. ncnealncn

ncnealncn New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I still don't have my 1099-Misc. All I see on Uber is the Summary.

12. paulmsr

if you didn't earn over $600 in promotions, meaning, boost, quest, etc. then you will not receive a MISC

Uber doesn't have to report if it doesnt meet the threshold but you're obligated to file taxes on money that you earn. Uber saying no they won't report wont cover your backside at all with the IRS. if you were audited best believe they'll find out you earned that money and ask why you didn't report it.

13. HRD2UBER

HRD2UBER Member

Just left Uber Hub because i didnt get a 1099 they said anybody that made over 20,000 are the only ones that get them..that's some BS
    They made it easier for them not for us. Once again they **** their Drivers. I got my Lyft one right away on there website and I didn't make 20,000 with them. .

14. paulmsr

yes they made it easier for them, but it's not screwing us over in any way. you've got the summary you can still file your taxes..

HRD2UBER likes this.
  15. HRD2UBER

HRD2UBER Member

Thank you so Much. I just didn't want to get to the tax person and they ask for a 1099. Plus I knew we got one for 2016 to file 2017. After all the stuff they into I just wanted to be sure...Have a Awesome day