still contemplating

cheesy

Ok, so I have recently been approved to drive for Uber. When I read the forum and things, I read a lot of negativity that makes me reconsider. on the other hand, when I talk with Uber drivers, I get a lot of encouragement to drive.

I would need to use Ubers vehicle solutions to drive, so I realize that there is an expense that I wouldn't need to incur if I had a nicer vehicle, but alas, I don't have a nicer vehicle. I have a full time job that pays me averagely, but could stand to make another 150- 250 a week. I am willing to drive the bar scene (12:00-2:30/3:00) on weekends, early mornings rush hours most of the week ( I don't start my job till 11:00 am), maybe even one of my days off, and if it was really making money I wouldn't be opposed to driving some on my other day off.
Does anyones experience say whether this is viable or would I just be committing to another bill (Lease, Maintenance, gas, ins. etc.) that I couldn't afford.

Undecided in The ATL.

Ayalprojam

Profit wise. Assuming your driving x. You might can make 18-20$ an hour if you hussle. If that's worth it to you then go ahead. Odds are u will prob end up 12 an hour after everything.

cheesy

ayalprojam, thank you for your reply. $18 an hour for friday and sat nights plus what i can make on early morning rides and one or two days a week should cover my expenses and put a few dollars in my pocket. im not trying to make a living just trying to live better than bare necessities.
Anyone else with input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

UberHoax

Current drivers do not want to receive a negative rating so they say encouraging things

Past drivers have a memory of good money so they positive things

Don't expect more than minimum wage after expenses and you will not be disappointed

why not give it a try

haveus33nm3

Honestly, the volume is not there anymore. The market is oversaturated with new drivers. Surge pricing is all pretty much dead. I hustle on the weekends, week days, week nights and after I take away gas, dead head mileage, sanity, and sleep, I really only have extra chump change. Driving barely got me through from the loss of my full time job until the new one I start last week.

Only you know what's best for your situation, but my experience so far doing both uber and Lyft is that the pings are fewer now and when you do get them, it's a crap shoot. You're going to have to hustle a sh*tload of mostly minimum fare rides to break even on your Uber Solutions vehicle. There really is no way you can pull off their ride requirements to keep the car and work a full-time job.

negeorgia

I would never recommend Ubering with a car payment or in a car you actually need. For me, January was the good old days. I would rather do 2 minimums per hour for $8.00, but Uber did not ask me and now I do 2 minimums per hour for $6.40.

Last edited:

negeorgia

Your pay scale is determined by how many other cars are available at the moment you are willing to drive. Surge rates may lower your request totals.

negeorgia

I had to learn the hard way, but if I don't buy a car with 100% down, I don't buy it; especially to wear out on a low income business venture like Uber.

RightTurnClyde

$18 - $20 per hour is a pretty high estimate for the X platform given the current conditions.
OP, I think this is a very high estimate as well; but I must add that this is before expenses also. In fact, it's minimum wage and below if you need a honest number from me. I won't ever tell people here what they should or should not do. My only advice is to really ponder what people have written so far, and take a lot of extra time thinking / budgeting / and contemplating about doing this. Also search these forums for other people's experiences doing exactly what you propose to do as there's a lot of threads about it (most I've read aren't pretty).

Last edited:

PTCGUY

I would need to use Ubers vehicle solutions to drive, so I realize that there is an expense that I wouldn't need to incur if I had a nicer vehicle, but alas, I don't have a nicer vehicle.
Your best bet for a vehicle is to find a relative older car (07-09) in really good shape with low mileage and pay cash if at all possible. I would not recommend using the Uber leasing as the cost is greater than even payments at a buy here pay here lot or at least the same and you have an asset instead of a liability. You get a newer vehicle through the leasing but a newer vehicle is not necessary to drive and put some coin in your pocket. PM me and I will put you in touch with a friend of mine who might possibly be able to help.

negeorgia

Are you speaking from research or are you just regurgitating what others have posted in the past?
I'm guessing it is all those 'isn't it great Uber helps people get a car'; but then Uber lowers the rates so it takes more time and miles to earn the payment and now you have to live in the car stories.

PTCGUY

Profit wise. Assuming your driving x. You might can make 18-20$ an hour if you hussle. If that's worth it to you then go ahead. Odds are u will prob end up 12 an hour after everything.
I drive on average 50 hours a week with 2/3 of this coming on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I average $14-$15/hr after fuel expense. I have been driving for 6 months now and have over 2000 rides. These are real, hard facts from my experience. Others may have different numbers but these are mine. It is hard to find real, hard numbers on this forum.

As a side note: I enjoy what I do and being out there with riders. I have had maybe 10 riders I would not like to give another ride to, so I can live with those odds. Do I think Uber can do a better job for the drivers? Absolutely!

Last edited:

Schweisshund

Are you speaking from research or are you just regurgitating what others have posted in the past?

Worked for Toyota in new car sales. Also Ed Voyles. But having that experience really isn't necessary to tell this Uber Lease is a bad deal.

But hey, I warned him. It's his life, his decision. If he can make it work, more power to him.

PTCGUY

Worked for Toyota in new car sales. Also Ed Voyles. But having that experience really isn't necessary to tell this Uber Lease is a bad deal.

But hey, I warned him. It's his life, his decision. If he can make it work, more power to him.
My question dealt with you researching Uber's plans before commenting? Sorry for the confusion.

Schweisshund

My question dealt with you researching Uber's plans before commenting? Sorry for the confusion.

Of course I researched it. That is what car salesmen are trained to do. It is drilled into us on day numerous uno and becomes a natural reflex.

Sorry for the confusing answer. $400 a month on a base Corolla with unlimited miles ..... Why not just buy one and actually own something?