1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Still confused about insurance coverage.

Discussion in 'People' started by Dana T, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Dana T

Dana T Member

Am I supposed to notify my insurance company that I will be driving for Uber? Is it recommended? Is it necessary? I don't want them to drop me or have my rates go through the roof. Am I supposed to get commercial insurance? I have heard that Uber will cover only when you have an accident with a passenger.

Sorry, I hope I'm not asking a question that has been asked 100 times already. I could not find the answer I was looking for on here. I look forward to your advice.

2. Jvc21

Jvc21 Well-Known Member

Why would you want to tell your insurance that your are driving for uber or lyft? Many policies will not allow you to drive for profit on your personal insurance. The minute you do, don't be surprised to be denied your policy or be cancelled.

Drive at your own risk.

3. Dana T

Dana T Member

Well I've heard Uber has a problem taking responsibility during accidents.

Huberis likes this.
  4. Jvc21

Jvc21 Well-Known Member

You're right. They will try to defer to your personal insurance.

But, most likely, your personal insurance will deny your claim because you broke the rules on the policy of driving for profit. You can get commercial insurance, but be prepared to pay more premium for a short term gain/long term loss.

Again, drive at your own risk.

5. Huberis

Huberis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Find a question which hasn't been asked 100 times already. So no worries. You need to take that process one step at a time. First off, have a look at your insurance policy and read what it says. You are in Connecticut, has Uber/James River accepted the role of primary provider for liability during phase 1 driving? Phase one being app on, no commitment. If anyone tries to tell you people don't drive during phase one, I wouldn't believe it. If James River's liability coverage is contingent during phase one, it means you would need to go through your insurance provider first should you hurt someone with the app on.

Most of the biggest concerns have to do with collision coverage and whether or not your policy would be invalidated. Those are real concerns, if you get caught, pleading ignorance is only likely to get you so far. Is your car paid for or financed? If your car is financed, and your provider lets you drive Uber part time as is becoming more common, again check for gaps in your coverage. If you finance, you don't want gaps.

What your insurance company is or isn't going to do is beyond your control. Jvc21Jvc21 keeps mentioning to "Drive at your own risk". What does that mean exactly and how good is that advice? However good or bad advice that happens to be, I suppose that ignoring the concerns expressed in your OP would be the first step to driving at your own risk.

All your questions, no matter how redundant are good questions. Driving for Travis tends to be rather short term and casual. That doesn't lessen the need to have your car protected. Proper insurance (Sorry I don't know your options up there) is part of the expense of doing business. Travis paints a very simple picture. Hourly wages are before Travis takes his cut and you fuel your car. Money set aside for upkeep are obviously ignored too. Don't be like Travis.

Spend some time looking at all the costs. KeJornKeJorn is a great resource here for you to figure out what your running costs might be. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction for such concerns. It is real tempting, given the casual nature to assume innocence through ignorance. You are asking the right questions.

Good luck.

KeJorn likes this.

6. brhlcommish

brhlcommish Active Member

Call your insurance company. Tell them you're considering driving for Uber. And ask for rideshare coverage.

Here in Colorado Geico and Allstate don't have coverage. I had to switch to Farmers. The rideshare insurance is about $500 a year here.

If you DONT tell your insurance you are driving for Uber, and get in an accident. You will NOT be covered, and will be personably liable for your own medical costs, and anything above and beyond what Uber provides for the others. You also will be cancelled by your insurance carrier, and have a next to impossible time ever getting insurance again.

Don't be stupid, do the legwork, and cover yourself.

Dana T, KeJorn and Huberis like this.
  7. KeJorn

KeJorn Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    There are a few companies who will allow you to keep your personal insurance and offer unique coverage when driving for Uber or Lyft (depending on your state).
    If you are not currently using one of them, you may be at risk of being dropped if you tell your existing carrier that you drive for Uber.
    Many have not jumped onto the bandwagon yet and are letting others sort things out first (and take the liability risks).
    Consider switching to one of these and check what policies are available in your state:

Metromile
    https://www.metromile.com/uber/

Farmers Insurance
    http://www.farmers.com/auto/

Geico
    https://www.geico.com/getaquote/ridesharing/

USAA (prior military requirements)
    (Rideshare Gap coverage in TX and Colorado for certain)
    https://www.usaa.com

Neither Liberty Mutual nor Allstate seem to have any rideshare coverage... but it is possible they are running pilot programs or just letting other others take the risks for now.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Dana T likes this.
  8. UberReallySucks

UberReallySucks Well-Known Member

This should answer some of your questions about the risk of driving for UBER:

https://uberpeople.net/threads/eye-opening-report-on-uber-by-nbc-san-francisco.36123/

Dana T, Huberis and KeJorn like this.
  9. Dana T

Dana T Member

I got myself commercial insurance from Geico. My insurance only went up $100 a year. Not bad at all and now I have peace of mind. :D

KeJorn likes this.
  10. Dana T

Dana T Member

Took your advice and got commercial insurance from Geico. Very reasonable!

Huberis and KeJorn like this.
  11. KeJorn

KeJorn Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Is it actually commercial insurance or the Ridesharing Insurance they offer, which is essentially gap coverage... filling in the gaps that Uber's umbrella coverage does not address?

12. Dana T

Dana T Member

Well, maybe it's the Ridesharing insurance. I applied through the link you gave me. The limits are raised at bit and they know it's going to be for personal use as well. What ever it is called, I feel confident and safer knowing my butt will be covered. I had Geico for my personal insurance in the first place, they were able to easily switch it over.

13. KeJorn

KeJorn Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    No problem. I was just asking, as $100 extra is very cheap for commercial insurance - well unless you had expensive insurance to begin with.
    The additional coverage for ridesharing insurance should be enough to help you sleep better at night. I was glad to add it to my coverage through USAA.
    I like USAA because I can easily adjust my limits online and see what the difference in cost will be immediately. However they had just added rideshare gap protection in my state recently, so it took some time on the phone to finally get that added to my coverage.

Dana T likes this.
  14. Huberis

Huberis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Better than riding at your own risk.

15. Dana T

Dana T Member

Absolutely!

16. MoneyUber4

MoneyUber4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I think you have to double ck.

Yes, Geico sells Commercial Insurance thru a third party, but there are different Commercial Insurance Liabilities/coverage.

The proper policy must cover: "for hire/taxi/limo liability" other wise you have the wrong policy and you might find out after you get an accident.
    After the accident, the insurance carrier has the right to deny paying for the wrong declaration/policy.

Please let us know.

17. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    At least you can buy that in Connecticut. Those of us who live in the District of Columbia can not buy any insurance that covers TNC work.

18. Dana T

Dana T Member

Mine is specifically for ride share drivers.

19. MoneyUber4

MoneyUber4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I see it, Insurance is not available in all States. Got it. Thank you.

20. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    you just said your insurance went up $100/yr.
    I think that depends on how much your personal insurance was.and what liability you had before buying rideshare insurance.
    Uber/Lyft 1M insurance covers you once you go online even if you have no trip and no riders, your insurance covers you when you're offline.
    https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/ridesharing-insurance/
    So if your personal insurance liability was 100k/300k/100k, plus 1M from Uber, how much could be your rideshare insurance liability?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017