• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Stealth Pool Ping?

Angler72

Ok I am not a fan of Uber/pool pings. I drive at night and I’m pretty sure it’s just cheap pax trying to save a couple of bucks. I had a couple of fares from Bellevue to Renton and Tukwila to Queen Anne without picking up additional pax, it’s just annoying. So I stopped picking up pool rides and call me crazy but I would get X pings and pick up a pax only to get a pick up another pax ping while I’m driving. What the hell? The first time it happened to me I thought I just wasn’t paying close enough attention and I accepted a pool ride but I was watching real close the second time and I know my X ride was a stealth pool ride.
Last night I went out about 8pm my first ping was a pool ride in Bellevue. I think Uber is messing with me.

Risab1981

Ok I am not a fan of Uber/pool pings. I drive at night and I’m pretty sure it’s just cheap pax trying to save a couple of bucks. I had a couple of fares from Bellevue to Renton and Tukwila to Queen Anne without picking up additional pax, it’s just annoying. So I stopped picking up pool rides and call me crazy but I would get X pings and pick up a pax only to get a pick up another pax ping while I’m driving. What the hell? The first time it happened to me I thought I just wasn’t paying close enough attention and I accepted a pool ride but I was watching real close the second time and I know my X ride was a stealth pool ride.
Last night I went out about 8pm my first ping was a pool ride in Bellevue. I think Uber is messing with me.
You sure it wasnt a stacked ping? As in once you drop off your 1st pax, go pickup next?...did it actually want you to pickup someone while you had your X pax in your car?

Angler72

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You sure it wasnt a stacked ping? As in once you drop off your 1st pax, go pickup next?...did it actually want you to pickup someone while you had your X pax in your car?
Good point. I asked the pax if he requested a pool ride and he said yes. Also, the ping sound to pick up a second pax has a different sound and rerouted me to showbox on my way to Queen Anne. Pax didn’t show up to add insult to injury lol. My app was acting funny all night, giving me weird routes to destinations. It wanted me to take my Tukwila to queeen Anne fare up Rainier ave instead of of I-5, it was like 9pm and I-5 was wide open.

mark_mark

stack ping brah! if you on google map, then they will ping you with a Pool, I cancel if it’s pool.... suck it uber! yo robot an’t shit and driving X is really starting to suck

Angler72

Go to your earnings and click on that trip does it say X or pool
The second time I remember the trip and I looked it up and yes it's a pool. But I'm 90% certain it came up as an X because I was denying pool trips after after I accepted the pool ride to renton.

Martin Kodiak

The second time I remember the trip and I looked it up and yes it's a pool. But I'm 90% certain it came up as an X because I was denying pool trips after after I accepted the pool ride to renton.
Soooo...

I had a similar situation yesterday. I rolled into the UD around 4 to work the Husky game. I declined three trips off Ravenna for x and pool and I swear I accepted an XL, but when I got there it was a pool ride. I was looking for XL rides exclusively, and I was declining Pool rides exclusively.

You might be onto something here.

Risab1981

Soooo...

I had a similar situation yesterday. I rolled into the UD around 4 to work the Husky game. I declined three trips off Ravenna for x and pool and I swear I accepted an XL, but when I got there it was a pool ride. I was looking for XL rides exclusively, and I was declining Pool rides exclusively.

If you're hunting XL only, why dont you set your app to XL only so Pool pings dont come through ?

Martin Kodiak

If you're hunting XL only, why dont you set your app to XL only so Pool pings dont come through ?
Quite honestly, I didn't know I could? Can you just block all Pool requests? All X requests? In that situation I know groups are going to the game from The UD, and I do well with this tactic. What about Lyft Line requests?

Risab1981

You have to turn off both X and pool
On Lyft Reg/Line
On Uber, It's right inside the app
On Lyft You have to go to your dashboard in a Web browser change it in there

Angler72

Soooo...

Alright I’m going to watch this closer. My first ping of the day was a pool and I accepted it thinking the Uber powers that be are letting me know who is in charge.

Skinny1

Alright I’m going to watch this closer. My first ping of the day was a pool and I accepted it thinking the Uber powers that be are letting me know who is in charge.
So who is in charge? You whine about a pool potentially being a stealth.... and now today you bow down and take one voluntarily ... showing them who is in charge.

Well done.... uber owns you until you stop. Say that in the mirror 3 times...

Angler72

So who is in charge? You whine about a pool potentially being a stealth.... and now today you bow down and take one voluntarily ... showing them who is in charge.

Well done.... uber owns you until you stop. Say that in the mirror 3 times...
No whining, just asking if anyone is experiencing the same phenomenon. I Uber as a side thing for personal reasons no way Uber owns me I work full time as a machinist and make great money. Trying to dissuade me from going out is pointless, I do what I want when I want.

Skinny1

My point was just don’t do pool? Why bother the next regular X ping will come just exercise some patience.
That is all... once you see that it all makes sense.
Same goes for far away base rides , don’t chase be selective.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Me:

1st Pool ping = Nope!
2nd Pool ping = Nope!

Goes offline

Waits 2 minutes til cheap pax gets a rookie to accept his request.

Goes back online.

Another Pool ping/ same pax
Go offline another minute or 2

Goes back online

Pool ping again, whether same pax or not

Goes offline and moves to different hunting grounds.

Only time I take a pool is when I've exhausted a high surge, it's now dying, there's nothing but pools coming in now, and I'm elbow to elbow with Ants.

Martin Kodiak

Me:

1st Pool ping = Nope!
2nd Pool ping = Nope!

Goes offline

Waits 2 minutes til cheap pax gets a rookie to accept his request.

Goes back online.

Another Pool ping/ same pax
Go offline another minute or 2

Goes back online

Pool ping again, whether same pax or not

Goes offline and moves to different hunting grounds.

Only time I take a pool is when I've exhausted a high surge, it's now dying, there's nothing but pools coming in now, and I'm elbow to elbow with Ants.
Hi Lissetti, I really like you and think you are doing a great job as mod here, but this post does nothing to address the actual subject. The OP believes that "Pings" are being misrepresented to the Ants, and I think he may be right. While I only mentioned the one occasion, I fully believe that this happened once before to me.

That is the topic and I do wish to explore it more fully. Is it a newbie thing? Are we wrong? Have other ants also experienced this phenomenon too?

Let's stay on topic here. I am certain this is happening.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
I'm not sure what's going on with stealth pings, but I definitely will ask Uber about this at the dinner Tuesday. I was only responding to the later post where he said he did accept a pool ping thinking Uber was messing with him.

Never give in!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Fight the power!

BTW I have told the Western Regional manager of Uber face to face why I don't do pool and why it's not a good thing. This is the look and response I got:

20180218_170521.jpg

"We understand this is a concern for many of our partners and we are so sorry you are experiencing a less than successful experience while using the Pool platform."

20180218_170554.jpg

.......and a "Trust me, we are working hard on improving the Pool division so both partners and riders alike, are able to gain a positive experience out of utilizing the service."

(BTW ....I'm not the only driver who spoke to this manager about the pool situation.)

Once again, I will Definitely bring up any possibility of Stealth Pool Pings to Uber management on Tuesday.

Last edited: