Stay out of downtown?

billm

Short answer - Yes. Practically, it's not really possible, as that is a lot of people's destination because of Broadway. However, there's some things you can do to lessen your chances of getting trapped there. If the weather's decent, you can negotiate to drop off on Commerce. I usually show them the difference in traffic, come down Broadway to 7th then turn to Commerce. I also tell them that Commerce is a better spot to get a pickup from, as I'm dropping off. Over by Bridgestone isn't bad either if they don't have 5th closed for a game or concert, you can drop and split. When all else fails, and you have to go in there, stop accepting trips by stopping new requests while on the trip in, then get out and go back online when you've gotten clear to an area where you feel more comfortable about getting a trip.

HonkyTonk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I started doing that.

Curious: is Uber unaware of this problem? And that drivers may be doing exactly this? Why do they not "surge" short trips in hellish traffic, like downtown Nashville on a Saturday night?

billm

Uber doesn't really care about that as long as pax are getting picked up. Also, I would guess that the rider app might be showing surge, or there may be enough drivers there to keep it from surging - there are a lot of drivers who like to pick up downtown. I'm not one. Since I am only part time at this, I pretty much gave up on nights because of that mess. Sooner or later, you will get sucked into it, even if your strategy is to be in Franklin. Someone will eventually take you down there, unless you pass on it or cancel the trip.

HonkyTonk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uber doesn't really care about that as long as pax are getting picked up. Also, I would guess that the rider app might be showing surge, or there may be enough drivers there to keep it from surging - there are a lot of drivers who like to pick up downtown. I'm not one. Since I am only part time at this, I pretty much gave up on nights because of that mess. Sooner or later, you will get sucked into it, even if your strategy is to be in Franklin. Someone will eventually take you down there, unless you pass on it or cancel the trip.
But...... if I go offline every time a trip takes me downtown, the Broadway PAX are not getting picked up. True? Or are there enough suckers other drivers waiting in that horrible traffic to pick up the partiers?

billm

But...... if I go offline every time a trip takes me downtown, the Broadway PAX are not getting picked up. True? Or are there enough suckers other drivers waiting in that horrible traffic to pick up the partiers?
Seems like there is enough willing to fight thru it, or it would surge more.