• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Stay Mobile Or Stay Put

zebra1niner

I am new,like one day new to driving.I am trying to determine is it best to stay stationary or drive around to get trips?Thanks!

Uruber

Well you will find out on your own what is more profitable for you since varies from city to city but two things to keep in mind, 1: the kind of vehicle you drive since driving around will increase your gas expenses. 2: the kind of Insurance you carry, make sure that if you are going to be driving around with your app on to have a Rideshare Policy since if you don't you will be driving with no coverage.

Stygge

If your car requires fuel, maintenance, and repairs you should aim at driving as little as possible. Don't move more than 1/4 of a mile after a drop off unless you're in a completely dead area.

Also, if you don't have TNC insurance you should avoid driving around with the app online until you have a requested ride.

A good benchmark is to drive less miles than the payout dollars.

lyft_audi

It varies by your area really. I normally pull over 1/4 mile after my drop off and wait. If I don't get a ping within say 5 minutes... I head back to my original pick up location.

SEAL Team 5

Well you will find out on your own what is more profitable for you since varies from city to city but two things to keep in mind, 1: the kind of vehicle you drive since driving around will increase your gas expenses. 2: the kind of Insurance you carry, make sure that if you are going to be driving around with your app on to have a Rideshare Policy since if you don't you will be driving with no coverage.
Very well said. Drive smart. It also helps to know of upcoming events especially events where alcohol is frequently consumed. Like concerts, sporting events and the like.

LondonONTdriver

Stay put. Don't chase anything. Let the pings come to you. After dropping a pax off try and pull over or park in a parking lot and wait for another ping.

If you have to wait mote than 15 mins for a ping turn the app off and try again another day. The good days are always busy. Stacked pings and surges only happen when it's busy.

zebra1niner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah this whole insurance thing is utterly confusing and somewhat deceptive in there description.To me it is not cost effective part time to have to get new,more expensive insurance.I'm very disappointed,as I had fun on my first day!I went to there office on Sat and I thought the way they explained the insurance coverage we were covered by them,but I guess that is only when there is a pax in the car.I thought it was as long as I was working for them,logged in.

Last edited:

bluedogz

Yeah this whole insurance thing is utterly confusing and somewhat deceptive in there description.To me it is not cost effective part time to have to get new,more expensive insurance.I'm very disappointed,as I had fun on my first day!I went to there office on Sat and I thought the way they explained the insurance coverage we were covered by them,but I guess that is inly when there is a pax in the car.I thought it was as long as I was working for them,loggef in.
Do some more homework re: insurance. There's a lot more to it than that.

If you are in busier areas of MD (Howard,/AA county, Balto) you shouldn't need to drive around to find a ride. After a little while you'll get the idea of the best places to sit.

zebra1niner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can only find one place that will insure me and its a $100 more a month,and I don't know if its worth it.I have some thinking to do.

jordan314

I think you're more likely to get rides if you're in a popular area, so hanging out downtown or by an airport might be a better bet if your home is in a residential area.

Uruber

Yeah this whole insurance thing is utterly confusing and somewhat deceptive in there description.To me it is not cost effective part time to have to get new,more expensive insurance.I'm very disappointed,as I had fun on my first day!I went to there office on Sat and I thought the way they explained the insurance coverage we were covered by them,but I guess that is only when there is a pax in the car.I thought it was as long as I was working for them,logged in.
Be careful with the Insurance thing,most driver don't quite understand it, this is how it works, in order for Uber's commercial Insurance cover you either when you take a ping or when you have a passenger in your car, you do have to have your own Insurance (Coverage) even if is not going to be used,but what happens is that if something happen and even if you are on stage 2 or 3 covered by Uber, once your Insurance find our about this, they will void your policy and denied coverage since you broke the agreement that says that you only can use your vehicle for "Personal use" and Rideshare doesn't fall in that category.So your company drop you witch leaves you without the requirement that Uber has for you of being cover, in other words,Uber will say "well you don't have coverage,so our Insurance won't cover you" The only way to avoid all this is to have a Rideshare policy that of course it is more expensive and just offered by a few companies.
This that I just described to you has actually happen to other drivers and you can find posts about this in our forums, do some research and be careful out there :wink:

Oscar Levant

I am new,like one day new to driving.I am trying to determine is it best to stay stationary or drive around to get trips?Thanks!

There are so many factors to consider insofar as making such decision, an a lot of it depends on experience, knowing your city, knowing the rhythm and flow of biz cycles etc.

But, if I haven't gotten a ping in an hour, I'm inclined to move, try something different. Sometimes, after sitting a spell, I'll ju;st drive,
like a fish trawler trawling for fish. I'll even get on the freeway, and damn the gas, just go for it, I get lots of pings doing this.

In other words, there is no right answer to your question.

Fireguy50

My rule as a part timer:
After 15 minutes, if I can drive home without a ping, I'm done for the night. Or if the surges disappear I'm done immediately!

Frontier Guy

Depends on the area I drop my pax at, if I'm in the downtown area, I'll usually park at a meter (and keep an eye out for meter maids) or sometimes in an alley and wait for a ping. If I'm in the 'burbs, I'll start heading back to areas that I know are busy. But it can be totally random, I got stuck in suburban hell one night, dropped a pax at home, started to head back downtown, and then spent 4 hrs all over the suburbs doing fares. The upside, they were all $10 to $15 fares, the downside, everyone was a 10 to 15 minute drive to pick the pax up. Also, I find that sometimes, just heading back to downtown on certain major arteries can be beneficial.