Stats on cancelled riders...

blondieokie

When I became an Uber partner I started out driving OKC area and decided after Uber kept telling me there were great incentives in Norman, to head south. After a few weeks of doing exclusively Norman-based rides I have to point out that no other area in central OK has the amount of cancelled riders that Norman does. I will get a request, and it is either cancelled within the first 30 seconds or after I am at least halfway to the destination, it always seems! The ratio of these cancelled rides and my successful ones has to be 20/80 on average, and on a bad night 30/70. It is amazingly frustrating, especially when you are trying to get those hourly guarantees.

Since Uber likes to give us incentives to ride certain places at certain times, because they monitor activity, it only seems fair to me that they monitor which areas have the greatest prevalence of riders ordering and then cancelling rides, and add a "cancel tax/fee" for riders who order an Uber and cancel after a certain period of time. Let's say 1/4 of the way there and on they can cancel but must pay the distance I went from my original location on my way to pick them up. Again this is only a suggestion for areas plagued by "serial cancellors".

I asked one of my friendlier Norman riders, a young lady who went to OU and was very sympathetic to the plight of drivers, why so many in Norman cancel. The reason she said? There are a few. 1. a group of friends needs an uber and so without telling one another "hey i got this" they order more than one, and cancel the one(s) except for a single one they originally needed. 2. Girls late at night riding alone don't want a male driver and so they cancel any uber that appears as a man on their profile picture and continue to do so until they get a woman driver. 3. They drunk-order uber before they are actually leaving a location and cancel after they finally realize they did so.

So what are your thoughts on Norman? Do you get more cancelled rides here like me? Should we ask for Uber to advocate for us when it comes to "cancel surge areas"?

TomDewey

Stop wasting your time and energy on stupid things and concentrate on something more productive.

blondieokie

Stop wasting your time and energy on stupid things and concentrate on something more productive.
I think having the assurance that at a certain point a cancel will still compensate us for our time is beneficial to everyone driving. And it would make riders think twice before requesting a ride they really didn't feel committed to. College towns especially need some additional structure to keep the system stable.

RightTurnClyde

Try a different area and see how that's works for you for starters. If your new it's trial and error until you figure things out. Ubers never going to change their ways or their system in the foreseeable future regarding driver frustrations (it's your time and gas not theirs) so you have to find a way to make things work for you. Never take anything (guarentees, incentives, places to drive) at face value from Uber. They are looking out for their business model not your well-being. As an independent contractor its all up to you and you have to play the game as smart as you can.

Last edited:

blondieokie

Try a different area and see how that's works for you for starters. If your new it's trial and error until you figure things out. Ubers never going to change their ways or their system in the foreseeable future regarding driver frustrations (it's your time and gas not theirs) so you have to find a way to make things work for you.
Yeah I hear you. Norman is always pretty active any time of day so it is hard to get away from that security but at the same time those damn rating drive me nuts! I have customer ratings at my primary job as well so they may mean more to me than the average Joe....

TomDewey

I think having the assurance that at a certain point a cancel will still compensate us for our time is beneficial to everyone driving. And it would make riders think twice before requesting a ride they really didn't feel committed to. College towns especially need some additional structure to keep the system stable.

Stop looking things from driver's perspective. Uber only cares about passengers.

Agent99

Most (but not all) places in the country have a five dollar cancellation fee if the cancellation is after five minutes. Are you saying that your area does not have a cancellation fee?

If your area does not have a cancellation fee, Uber took it away. The only immediate solution is 1) I would try to be more selective and decline passengers with low ratings, and 2) call the passengers to determine their level of seriousness about the ride request.

Last edited:

Alex Glover

If I'm in Norman, I'll drive it, but otherwise, I avoid Norman just because of the cancellations and the little self absorbed snots I seem to get that want me to take them through a drive thru at 2am. Spend 30 minutes with a rider that only pays a few bucks. Total waste of time. I start out each night in Nichols Hills, their rides are longer usually. Then I just go where the night takes me.