• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

State senator wants to get rid of Hillsborough Public Transportation Commission

iMakeTheMaps

http://mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews13/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2015/8/17/state_senator_wants_.html

Caught this on the news last night. Something to keep in mind when election time rolls around, your vote should go to those that actually have your interests in mind.

From the article: "Frankly, residents are demanding these types of options, and we have an entity that’s fining drivers, threatening to arrest drivers," he said. "At some juncture we need to stand up and say enough is enough."

Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about this Senator besides what I have read in this article, he could be a raging D-Bag on all other issues.

Last edited:

The PTC is losing ground and being exposed for who they are- they have too much power-no oversight- and have been exploiting taxi drivers for a long time-
A year from now they will be dismantled or have their wings severely clipped-
Id like to drive independent from uber or taxi without the current crazy start up county fees- coming soon

The FAA doesnt regulate airfare fees -the competitive free market does- that was done in 1978-the airline anti regulation act- thats why there are so many airlines today -versus 3 then

Walkersm

Limo and Taxi guys been fighting them for years. Corruption is deep in that one. Don't expect them to go down easy.

Very true- their intimidation and bully tactics failed-theres too many of us-uber/lyft drivers-
It will take a minute for the ptc to be declawed-it will happen-

naplestom75

Very true- their intimidation and bully tactics failed-theres too many of us-uber/lyft drivers-
It will take a minute for the ptc to be declawed-it will happen-
Yeah so I guess doing your job and enforcing what is on record as the law is bullying now. You just get back from a black lives matter rally?

Snowtop

The FAA doesnt regulate airfare fees -the competitive free market does- that was done in 1978-the airline anti regulation act- thats why there are so many airlines today -versus 3 then
3 Airlines. Hell deregulation lost more than that. Eastern, Pan AM, TWA, Braniff, and Northwest just to name a few. Now with mergers there are even less airlines than before.

naplestom75

3 Airlines. Hell deregulation lost more than that. Eastern, Pan AM, TWA, Braniff, and Northwest just to name a few. Now with mergers there are even less airlines than before.
Yeah, and the "FAA doesn't regulate airfare fees" So 72499 you are saying that the transportation commissions regulate fees? I haven't seen too many of those.

observer

"The competitive free market".

You mean as in Uber?

How do you like Uber regulating your fares?

There a company -im willingly working for them -as a contractor- id like to make more money -theres a lot of things i would like

A judge said it is legal for uber to drive in tampa-that is law- the ptc website shows all the crazy fees and fare rates- it also shows their budget -
I think all lives matter - i would go to a black lives rally-
I dont see where race has anything to do with this issue

Snowtop

A judge said it is legal for uber to drive in tampa-that is law- the ptc website shows all the crazy fees and fare rates- it also shows their budget -
I think all lives matter - i would go to a black lives rally-
I dont see where race has anything to do with this issue
Do you actually read anything. No judge has declared Uber legal. All the judge did is refuse to issue a an order requested by the PTC to shut Uber down. He did not say they have to quit issuing citations. On what planet does that make us legal?

CommanderXL

Do you actually read anything. No judge has declared Uber legal. All the judge did is refuse to issue a an order requested by the PTC to shut Uber down. He did not say they have to quit issuing citations. On what planet does that make us legal?
Umm, planet Earth. What planet are you on? If a judge decides to not declare something illegal, as in this case, what does that make it in your mind? To me, and I think everyone else, "not illegal" = "legal."

Last edited:

Snowtop

Sorry, not declaring something illegal does not make it legal. It just means it is still in limbo. If the judge wanted to make us legal he would have enjoined the PTC from issuing citations. The PTC is still permitted is issue those citations so how could we possibly be legal.

Just like not guilty does not equal innocent.

CommanderXL

Sorry, not declaring something illegal does not make it legal. It just means it is still in limbo. If the judge wanted to make us legal he would have enjoined the PTC from issuing citations. The PTC is still permitted is issue those citations so how could we possibly be legal.

Yes, it does. For example, when the Supreme Court ruled that laws prohibiting same-sex marriages were unconstitutional, it made what was once illegal, not illegal and therefore legal. When Judge Huey ruled that Ubers are not Taxicabs and not subject to PTC regulations, his ruling had the same effect. Huey couldn't have enjoined the PTC because no one asked him to (though I expect Uber will file for that ruling soon.) And the PTC can give out all the citations they want to. Just because they write you a citation (wasting time and resources) doesn't mean you did anything illegal, especially since they can't be enforced/collected because they won't stand up in court. At least not for now.

Snowtop

You are entitled to your opinion. But, the judge did not rule we were not a taxi company nor did he rule we were not taxicabs. He actually made no rulings as to our status. All he did was NOT stop us from operating. Far cry from declaring anything legal.

If the judge had decided we were not under the control of the PTC he would have ordered them to quit issuing citations.

CommanderXL

I will give you that there is a technical difference between "legal" and "not illegal." "Legal" implies there's a statute/law specifically allowing something. Whereas "not illegal" implies that there is NO statute/law specifically prohibiting something.

But both terms have the same effect.

So right now Uber may not be "legal," in that there are no laws allowing it, according to Judge Huey, it is "not illegal," in that there are no statutes/laws, including the PTC's regulations, that prohibit it from operating.