1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

state business license?

Discussion in 'Las Vegas' started by bennybot44, Sep 12, 2015.

1. bennybot44

bennybot44

Do we need a license to drive in las vegas , i just got an email saying to get one form uber.

2. GrandpaD

GrandpaD

Technically, yes. Uber is referring to a State business license which, of course, includes Las Vegas. But I'd hold off for a few days next week to see what transpires. Lyft hasn't said anything about requiring one.

FYI, a State business license costs $200 and requires quarterly online income statements. I know first hand that they're strict on the income statements, too. They'll send a few letters if you missed reporting, then send an investigator to your house. In my case, it was an error in classification...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Casuale Haberdasher likes this.
  3. bennybot44

bennybot44

thanks grandpad

4. Larry Berry

Larry Berry

Driving:
    UberX
    If you read AB 175 Section 44, Part 3 , the Assembly bill clearly states "3. The provisions of this chapter do not exempt any person from the requirement to obtain a state business license issued pursuant to chapter 76 of NRS. https://www.leg.state.nv.us/.../78t.../Bills/AB/AB175_R2.pdf

5. GrandpaD

GrandpaD

Thanks Larry Berry. I missed that. Makes perfect sense now.

I personally will wait a few days as I'm certain the Secretary of State will issue a statement since their server was inundated over the weekend.

It'll be interesting, if the State does license, how aggressive they'll enforce. TNCs are required to submit a list of active drivers. It wouldn't take much to use that database to see whom has licensed.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  6. Subberone

Subberone

I am wondering about the links underneath with red stars. One being workers compensation. Red stars make it look required. So what will that mean? Anyone know?

7. GrandpaD

GrandpaD

I don't see any stars in my copy. But, at the top of the document, blue indicated addition/amended and red was a deletion. What section are you referring?

But, drivers being an independent contractor and not an employee, I seriously doubt if workman's comp applies.

8. Michael-MS

Michael-MS

Driving:
    UberX
    The rules in that PDF allow for either the drivers or uber/lyft to be required to have a business license. But it doesn't specify which it is. I think that's yet to be decided, which is why news reports say it could be until late October before drivers are on the road. The state/County still has to decide and create regulations on who needs a license.

9. Michael-MS

Michael-MS

Driving:
    UberX
    Also, it appears that Clark County is requiring Uber/Lyft to have the business license.

"The Clark County Commission plans to introduce an ordinance Tuesday that will begin the process of creating the business licenses for the ride-sharing companies. Perez said that final approval would take until late October, although the NTA would likely give final approval to Lyft and Uber on Monday."

If that is true, then one could assume that the state would also treat Uber/Lyft as the business and not the drivers. Maybe? Of course, they could make both drivers and lyft/Uber have licenses to tax all the revenue.

10. GrandpaD

GrandpaD

Michael-MS, the County head of Business Licenses was, for the County regulations, the County license was for the TNCs and NOT the drivers. She has nothing to do with State business licenses. That's why I'm going to wait to see what the Secretary of State says regarding State licensees.
    Here's the quote and link - In an article last week- "In a related matter, Clark County Business License Director Jacqueline Holloway clarified that it's transportation network companies, not their drivers, that would have to secure a business license to operate in the county."

The quote is in the latter half of this article http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/t.../call-uber-drivers-creates-traffic-jam-photos is about licensing and meeting timelines.

The October "start" is Clark County delays. It involves not only the licensing but also operations at the airport, etc. However, posted in this city thread was a statement that the County was not allowed to add onto the State laws. I'm sure there'll be a lot of clarification by mid week.

11. Michael-MS

Michael-MS

Driving:
    UberX
    Right, but if the state considers a driver to be a business then so would the County. So a license should be required in either both or not at all, right? Why would they miss out on that opportunity?

12. GrandpaD

GrandpaD

Michael-MS I edited my post above with the Clark County quote.

13. Subberone

Subberone

Right before checking out are multiple links with red stars. One is to register with naic code and then workers compensation e version. The workshop stated two dates which was dragging this into November. The woman with Arias last name was on committee. I wrote uber about delay in car inspection approved and got email stating it was approved. He started that they didn't know start date yet but anticipated very soon. I am unsure whether to check out because there was talk of four counties combined and I don't want to throw money away. Although, I feel Uber is basically saying get Clark county and they will activate you because they know this dragging it out is wrong and probably illegal.

14. Michael-MS

Michael-MS

Driving:
    UberX
    If it is true that County is not requiring a business license for drivers then I feel that the state should not either. It doesn't make sense for the state to call you a "business" and the county to call you "not a business" , does it?

15. GrandpaD

GrandpaD

That's why I'm waiting for a while to do anything. Per the law, the State has the right to license. But that doesn't mean they will require it for drivers. They might view it as Clark County, making just the TNCs get a license. I'm pretty sure the Secretary of State will issue a statement this week.

16. Subberone

Subberone

My inspection only got approved today and I went Tuesday. It could be waiting cost you time that you could be driving. I still didn't check out though. I am hoping it not a mistake.

17. GrandpaD

GrandpaD

Makes no difference on the inspection. Uber doesn't get their license until tomorrow. So no-one could drive until then anyway.

18. Subberone

Subberone

And then thousands are trying to log on. And when you finally get it you upload to review who are back loaded. Hence, could be week or more.

19. bennybot44

bennybot44

How come taxi drivers don't pay the license fee, or is that the TA card we had to buy?

20. Michael-MS

Michael-MS

Driving:
    UberX
    Because taxi drivers are employees so they don't need a business license.

State business license of $200 is required for each driver. It was answered directly in the meeting today. Nobody asked if there are exemptions available if you plan to make less than 66% income from Uber, as that is a possible exemption, which makes the license free.

I didn't hear anything about a county license, but I missed the first 3 hours.