Starting Uber W/ Tesla - Help & Tips Please

EthanCW

Hello, I was thinking about starting Uber or Lyft or some sort of ride service with a Tesla Model S. I just barely quit my job so I am looking for something to pay the car payment & then some, so just $1,000 a month would be fine starting off(I'm hoping to get those numbers not going full time).

So, really quick, just some general questions:

Right off the bat, is this a smart idea?

Does the Model S qualify for UberLux/Black/Select? Anything above standard?

How much (on average) should I expect to make working x amount of hours a week? For example, 10-20 hours? (I'm trying to do this on the side for enough to pay bills, but if its profitable enough I may go full-time for a little)

I have never done Uber or anything else before, (which is why I'm asking these questions) so what would I expect from the customers? Would you say the customer experience is better or worse than, say, your average retail job?(just because I hear retail is usually the worst for that)

Any hidden costs, fees, rules, ect I may be overlooking? Again, total newbie, so I only have a basic understanding of what is going on.

Finally, for days I'm out of town (but have someone who can run it for me), would renting my car out on Turo or something like that for ~$125/day be worth it? Technically it would be almost "free" money right? Plus I'm not using my car anyway if I'm away.

Thank you for any help! Keep in mind, like I said, I've never done this before! So, the more information the better!

TransporterX

What color is your car? Is it black out n black in?
Def it's qualified for Select.. Lux and Lux Black if it's black on black.
I don't recommend you doing Uber with Tesla by just depending on those 3 platforms alone.
Post automatically merged:

If you don't drive it much.. return it. You don't lose much rather than driving Uber with it juat to make it's payments.

EthanCW

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What color is your car? Is it black out n black in?
Def it's qualified for Select.. Lux and Lux Black if it's black on black.
I don't recommend you doing Uber with Tesla by just depending on those 3 platforms alone.
Well, I guess it doesn't qualify for black since its a white car, but why shouldn't I rely on Lux or Select? Too little of a customer base? I'd like to avoid the basic platforms if possible, just for the sake of $, but of course smaller amounts of money is better than none if I'm not getting rides.

If I need to I can do this full time, but I'd just RATHER do this part-time until I find another job. What should I expect to be making?

TransporterX

X is the busiest and yet the smallest $.
Select is the highest plaform in Vegas.. not sure why but unfortunately we don't have Black, Lux or Suv in Uber Vegas.
Select or Lyft Lux demand is out there but not busy. You are lucky to get one ride in 1 or 2 hours.
The Select pay is 3.06/mile compared to 80c/mile on X.

but of course smaller amounts of money is better than none if I'm not getting rides.
The top reason drivers failing once they have this kind of thoughts.
You downgrading your rate by driving expensive vehicle. You will be hurting yourself n other drivers in the long term because the passengers will tell their friends and the world, just to order X as nice luxury vehicles will show up.

LVC

My car is only eligible for Uber X so this where my experience comes from. You can gross a little more than $20/hr, minus all your expenses, IF you drive during the most profitable hours. The least profitable hours will be normal Mon-Thu daytime excluding holidays and major events.

You will have to get two business licenses to operate in Clark County, a State of Nevada ($200) and a Clark County ($25) business license. Check with your insurance provider to see if they provide ride share gap coverage, if they don’t definitely change to a company that does and get the ride share gap coverage added.

EthanCW

I read somewhere that Uber Select gets you about $40 an hour on average, would anyone here say that's true? If not, what should I expect? I'm really trying to see the exacta mount of how much I could make per hour and how often I can hit that amount.

With those two things in mind: Is it worth it? Can I make enough to pay the bills?($1000 m/o or more)

*edit* also, is it true that I'd need 50 rides with Uber to be able to do Select?

LVC

With those two things in mind: Is it worth it? Can I make enough to pay the bills?($1000 m/o or more)
You can make $1000/wk just doing X IF you are willing to drive 50+ hours a week. So yes your can make $1000/mo doing it part time. If only doing X plan on driving at least 50+ hours during the most profitable hours.

EthanCW

You can make $1000/wk just doing X IF you are willing to drive 50+ hours a week. So yes your can make $1000/mo doing it part time. If only doing X plan on driving at least 50+ hours during the most profitable hours.
I'd be able to do it from 11am-9pm mon-fri & more on sat, but 0 on sun.

Does anyone know how much extra(if at all) it costs to have insurance cover uber? Also, if anyone knows about Turo or any other rental service, any fees there?

Spider-Man

Hello, I was thinking about starting Uber or Lyft or some sort of ride service with a Tesla Model S. I just barely quit my job so I am looking for something to pay the car payment & then some, so just $1,000 a month would be fine starting off(I'm hoping to get those numbers not going full time).

So, really quick, just some general questions:

Right off the bat, is this a smart idea?

Does the Model S qualify for UberLux/Black/Select? Anything above standard?

How much (on average) should I expect to make working x amount of hours a week? For example, 10-20 hours? (I'm trying to do this on the side for enough to pay bills, but if its profitable enough I may go full-time for a little)

I have never done Uber or anything else before, (which is why I'm asking these questions) so what would I expect from the customers? Would you say the customer experience is better or worse than, say, your average retail job?(just because I hear retail is usually the worst for that)

Any hidden costs, fees, rules, ect I may be overlooking? Again, total newbie, so I only have a basic understanding of what is going on.

Finally, for days I'm out of town (but have someone who can run it for me), would renting my car out on Turo or something like that for ~$125/day be worth it? Technically it would be almost "free" money right? Plus I'm not using my car anyway if I'm away.

Thank you for any help! Keep in mind, like I said, I've never done this before! So, the more information the better!
If you want a 1,000 a month its Super attainable. and you dont want to do this FT just PT. so at 15+ an hour you can do 100$ in 6 hours. X 3 driving days = 300$ -50$ for gas = 250x4= 1k a month. and all Under 20hrs a week.
If you want that $ in a week than itll be 4x the work and you can have it under 80hrs a week

JC17

If you want a 1,000 a month its Super attainable. and you dont want to do this FT just PT. so at 15+ an hour you can do 100$ in 6 hours. X 3 driving days = 300$ -50$ for gas = 250x4= 1k a month. and all Under 20hrs.
If you want that $ in a week than itll be 4x the work and you can have it under 80hrs a month
Tesla are electric so no gas deduction

You can easily do 1k a month that’s only 250 a weekthats only 50 $ a day min-fri I usually do 50 in about 3 -4 hours you will need business license from state and county I do not know about turo 100 a day is easy once you learn the ropes best of luck

justfacts

If you want a 1,000 a month its Super attainable. and you dont want to do this FT just PT. so at 15+ an hour you can do 100$ in 6 hours. X 3 driving days = 300$ -50$ for gas = 250x4= 1k a month. and all Under 20hrs a week.
If you want that $ in a week than itll be 4x the work and you can have it under 80hrs a week
Work the strip at the right hours and you will be fine. Easy to make $1000 per month with x, good luck with honest replies about higher end service rides like xl, come sept I’ll be doing xl on fri, sat night and I’ll prolly make $350 to $400 overnight, work it and you’ll make momey

EthanCW

Would you guys recommend getting an inward dash cam or something like that?

Drewsnutz

I do xl and premium(lux,select) during conventions, yes you get selext/lux. Demand Is not high otherwise besides on a busy weekend. It is not viable to do just premium. I am slow at times even with xl running as well. As per turbo. It can be good. Can be bad. If someone wrecks your car it is a pain in the ass. Just go on Google and search turo accident payments and you will see. If you do x and premium, you have a people talker car. Aka work for your tips. As per 1k a month. with no fuel cost and no worry for depreciation, 20 hours a week should more than cover that. average on x is about 15 ph before exspenses and taxes which your 1099

LVC

Does anyone know how much extra(if at all) it costs to have insurance cover uber?
Ride share gap coverage will vary depending on a lot of factors, like any insurance policy. My ride share gap coverage with USAA is an additional $11.39/mo added to my regular coverage. Prior to USAA I had Farmers and they were charging me $27.00/mo for the ride share gap coverage.

Hater

Work the strip at the right hours and you will be fine. Easy to make $1000 per month with x, good luck with honest replies about higher end service rides like xl, come sept I’ll be doing xl on fri, sat night and I’ll prolly make $350 to $400 overnight, work it and you’ll make momey
He’s the expert.. referee all questions to him please...

UbeRoBo

Select is hit or miss. I haven't driven in a while but when I was a regular grinder an average day for me would be 10 rides with 4 of them being select and the rest of them x. After 10 rides over about 4 hours I usually had enough and would rendezvous at Ellis Island for happy hour.

Would you guys recommend getting an inward dash cam or something like that?
Not only yes but hell yes! Only a fool would drive TNC without a forward/reward looking dash cam. Even more important if you have assets to protect.

Signal Twenty

X is the busiest and yet the smallest $.
Select is the highest plaform in Vegas.. not sure why but unfortunately we don't have Black, Lux or Suv in Uber Vegas.
Select or Lyft Lux demand is out there but not busy. You are lucky to get one ride in 1 or 2 hours.
The Select pay is 3.06/mile compared to 80c/mile on X.
You will be hurting yourself n other drivers in the long term because the passengers will tell their friends and the world, just to order X as nice luxury vehicles will show up.
This has happened to me. Passenger at the airport summoned my little UberX car. He had 8 people including himself and a boatload of luggage for his family to spend spring break. He actually asked me why they didn’t send a minivan. I canceled (rookie mistake; shoulda had him cancel) and he re-requested another X and got a Toyota Camry. I left, so I didn’t watch them stuff all that luggage and people in the car.