1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Starting trip question

Discussion in 'Advice' started by A_Driver, Dec 22, 2016.

1. A_Driver

A_Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Quick question, curious what everyone else does. Say you arrive at a pick up. Pax is standing in driveway BS'ing with his buddies and smoking. He says just a minute while we finish smoking. Do you start the trip while waiting or wait until then enter the car to start the trip.

2. MikesUber

MikesUber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Confirm they are your passengers, "Are you waiting for an Uber? What's the name under?". Once they confirm and tell you the above wait for them to enter before starting the trip. Starting the trip early gets you a whole $.15 (or whatever your per minute rate is). Starting a trip early can also get you flagged by Uber if repeatedly noted, although the consequences of such haven't really been spelled out to my knowledge.

My opinion, wait patiently (with the interior air circulation on). If it's getting close to the 5 minute cancellation mark (if applicable) inform the pax that they must enter and start the trip or you'll have to cancel due to the 5 minute wait window. In my experience most pax who are smoking upon arrival enter immediately or within a few seconds.

3. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Yes. If he says wait,he is paying.

4. A_Driver

Driving:
    UberX
    It's been a weird night. First Pax dropped the pin a long way from is actual location. He proceeded to get a little smart with me on then phone. I parked at the pin and waited for 5 mins. He canceled at 5:03. Gimme my $5 sucka.

5. 105398

105398 Well-Known Member

Err - I would exercise my third option.

6. JoeyA

JoeyA Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    This actually happened to me just last night. 3 people, one gets in and says her name, but I have to wait for her 2 friends to come out. I ask if I may start the trip, she said no. I waited 2 minutes for the friends to come in and then before I start the trip one says "I forgot my cell". I said, I should really start this trip, she says no. The lost cell chick jumps out to run inside, and I ask how long this will be. the other rider opens the door and says your phone is right here on the seat and gets out, and she says "he wants to start the trip". I hear, "forget it, call another Uber and f**c this driver". I was like "f**c this driver?" and she said yeah "F**c YOU" and slams my door. So I canceled the trip. But only cause she was calling another driver and I didn't know what to do. I should get my cancellation fee! Rudeness from these entitled teens shouldn't be tolerated. Abuse to my car should not be tolerated. Why does Uber allow them to do this to us? I contacted Uber, waiting for my text on how they can't do anything for me. Why are the PAX allowed to mistreat ussssss?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  7. tradedate

tradedate Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    My vote is no. Once you start the trip, power shifts to the customer. They can now one star you for any reason.

Don't start the trip until everyone is in your car, you look them over, and you're comfortable. If you need to cancel the trip before it starts, pax can't rate you, and you can collect a cancel fee if its been 5 minutes waiting.

The few cents per minute you get waiting isn't worth it.

8. JoeyA

JoeyA Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    You have a point. I had ultimately started that trip, and when they got out they rated me and my rate dropped right in front of my eyes. I knew it was them, and that's why i'm contacting uber explaining and hoping it works in my favor. I know it won't but I still don't want this to go unnoted.

9. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    It won't work in your favor. Just accept the 1 star and move on...

10. GoatLove

GoatLove Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
  11. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston Well-Known Member

So you arrive, pax makes you wait and pax will smell your car up with smoke. Hit cancel no charge to pax. Then drive away.

12. JoeyA

JoeyA Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    But that still counts as a cancel to us right, that's what sux?

13. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston Well-Known Member

Yes. That is a cancel by driver and counts against you. It is an individual decision as to what to do. However if you start the trip early, and they know about it, you will most likely get a bad rating.

14. A_Driver

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah canceling would be best I suppose. Problem is it's super slow here. I had 3 riders in 4 hours last night. 10-2am, and 7 cancelations, 2 of them I collected the fee on. Hardly worth it right now. I've seen it surge one time since we got Uber here, when it was snowing.

negeorgia likes this.
  15. 105398

105398 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

I break it down into three categories:

1) If it's something that's a hard rule: Too many riders, underage rider (was asked this week to pick up one ALONE waiting at a school), or similar, I tell them flat out "You need to cancel" (and order UberXL, UberSchoolBus, whatever). They made the mistake, they cancel.

2) If it's YOUR rule: i.e. no Taco Bell, no girls wearing glitter, no smokers, then I cancel (if I can't get them to). I don't overdo my cancels, but use them when necessary.

3) If there's drama en route: i.e. Customer calls complaining, is late, demanding and rude on the phone, I just don't show up. They'll figure it out and can cancel. Take a Lyft ride while waiting.

If it's a really high surge and I'll miss out, then I'll sometimes immediately cancel on 1 and 3 so I don't miss peak surge. I don't cancel often and have never been above 10%, but use the tool when necessary. If it's that busy I'm not going babysit and argue with messy groups - time is money.

Also not accepting low rated passengers, and being selective about where you pick up (avoiding trashy bars or blocks with terrible clubs) helps mitigate this.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  16. Dontmakemepullauonyou

Dontmakemepullauonyou Well-Known Member

If any pax gets in your car you start trip right away, no matter what she/he says. Tell them once you start the trip the uber insurance starts and if anybody were to rear end you, maybe a drunk driver, you both will be covered.

17. 105398

105398 Well-Known Member

Not for me. What happens when their three friends stumble down with their red solo cups, you enforce the rules, they get rude about it then the entire ride is a mess? Or you kick them out and they can still rate you.

If concerned about insurance then don't let anyone in until all parties are ready. Get out and make small talk I suppose.

I agree with above poster: I never start the ride until I've assessed everybody.

18. JoeyA

JoeyA Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Dude, that's so on point! When you think about it, that could be a real situation! Thanks man.

Dontmakemepullauonyou likes this.
  19. Dontmakemepullauonyou

Dontmakemepullauonyou Well-Known Member

Actually now the app won't let you end the ride because it didn't reach the minimum distance of 3 blocks I think. So when you try to end ride, it won't let you but you'll get an option to cancel. Cancel it tell them to gtfo, well it's better if you threaten them a little like "I'm reaching for my bear mace or tazer". And they won't be able to rate you cause ride is cancelled.

UXDriver likes this.
  20. 105398

105398 Well-Known Member

Awesome thanks. That's good to know if things go awry quickly!

I attempt not to escalate it, (only have had to kick someone out once), - I'll just look at my phone and say "Sorry emergency, let's get you another ride." - in hopes that my phrasing thinks I'm on their side and helping them somehow. Have done this multiple times before they enter (if they're a bunch of trainwrecks.)

It may be passive but that's fine: Whatever achieves the end result of getting them out calmly and and me on to the next one.