Starting a Small Business vs. Driving?

Have you ever thought about starting your own business?

• Total voters

Gord B

Sponsor
How many have thought about starting a small business in the past, but went the route of driving for Uber or Lyft instead?

I lost my small business. Hopefully, driving for Uber will save my house, and help me figure out how to get me back on my feet.

IMHO, go for it! Uber was a small business once. As well as Apple and Microsoft, etc.

HERR_UBERMENSCH

You drive for either, you are the owner of a small business, you have become self employed. You pay taxes like a sole proprietor, you deduct expenses, you have a business. Uber is NOT employment.

HERR_UBERMENSCH

I lost my small business. Hopefully, driving for Uber will save my house, and help me figure out how to get me back on my feet.

IMHO, go for it! Uber was a small business once. As well as Apple and Microsoft, etc.
Wow, you are hoping Uber will save you? No wonder you lost your small business.

So your advice is....wait you haven't given any.

A lot of people look down on Uber drivers, and think they have no class. I can assume that they have gotten a ride from you.

As long as you pay to drive under a corporations logo and contract. They tell you where to go. They dictate how much you get payed. You are an employee. While you are logged in and have pax in your car. You are their employee. An independent contractor, yes. Still an employee.
Self employed, sure. Small business owner. No.

Maybe Herr Who Cares can tell us how to run an Aerospace Machine Shop. Or can he give helpful advice? Maybe he just shut up and drive.

HERR_UBERMENSCH

A lot of people look down on Uber drivers, and think they have no class. I can assume that they have gotten a ride from you.

As long as you pay to drive under a corporations logo and contract. They tell you where to go. They dictate how much you get payed. You are an employee. While you are logged in and have pax in your car. You are their employee. An independent contractor, yes. Still an employee.

Maybe Herr Who Cares can tell us how to run an Aerospace Machine Shop. Or can he give helpful advice? Maybe he just shut up and drive.
Wrong, according to the IRS you can be one, or the other. You are NOT employed by Uber, you are an Independent Contractor and thus Self Employed.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/smal...ependent-contractor-self-employed-or-employee

You want advice, get a real job and leave the running of businesses to people who know what they are talking about.

the rebel

You cannot be a employee and independent contractor at the same time. It also has nothing to do with how people view Uber drivers, it has much more to do with the fact that unless you are driving select in the right market it is damn hard to make any real money. You are planning to save you house and finances with a job that by design is for side money, and that even those that do it full time are working 70 hours a week and struggling to keep up on their bills, without being behind. UBer is not what I would call a good plan to get out of financial trouble, more a plan to delay financial trouble while you figure out a better plan.

However based on the fact that you do not even understand basic employment rules, and are in financial trouble already, I would say you probably should not start a real small business either.

Illinoisdriver

How many have thought about starting a small business in the past, but went the route of driving for Uber or Lyft instead?
People choose Uber because most people already have a vehicle and a drivers license. No real skills or training involved, investment is low unless you need a car. Realistically take a look at how successful people are driving Uber or similar contractor positions. Most do it for a little extra money and not as a sole income provider. Starting a small business is much different, you have investment, possible a need for a storefront, equipment, training, marketing, employee's possibly. A much different scenario over just signing up to drive a car and pick up people. But since the skill level is low, the pay is not so great either. You won't get rich driving what amounts to a discounted cab service.

the rebel

Okay here is another way to explain it to you OP.

Let's say a guy has a bad knee that is always giving him pain and he needs ACL surgery. He comes to you and says he cannot take the pain anymore. He says he has 2 options he can go down to the hospital and they will cut his leg off in a nice room quickly and with little pain, or he can fly to Mexico and have a doctor cut it off with an old rusty bone saw and questionable anasteshia. Now both will solve the problem by eliminating it, but with a couple of months of pain he can have the knee repaired and still have his leg.

You see that is what you are asking us, your knee if you home and financial trouble. Starting an underfunded true small business (not a contractor position) without reserves is like having the leg amputated in the hospital, your problems will be gone quickly as with the ups and downs of a small business you will lose everything very quickly. Uber is like going to the mexican doctor, you are going to lose financially but it will be slow and painful. Or you can go get a job and drive Uber on the side while you save money and decide what to do.

You see I have owned small businesses as I am sure others have as well, I drive for Uber and Lyft as most posters here do, we know how this stuff works, neither one of them are something you want as your only income when you are already in financial duress.

Squirming Like A Toad

Uber is fine as a supplemental income. By supplemental, I mean it's great for a guy with a real job who wants to make money on the side. It's great for a guy who owns a livery and wants more business in addition to his contracted business.

As a full-time job driving X/XL sounds like it might be difficult, but there may be some people in some markets who can do it.

I've had many small businesses and I treat Uber just like any of the rest. You have your investment (vehicle in this case), operating expenses (gas), and then your time. The nice thing about Uber is the lack of time constraints, I can go out at 4 PM or 4 AM and do the same thing. If I have 2 hours to spare I can take fares instead of watch TV.

HERR_UBERMENSCH

People choose Uber because most people already have a vehicle and a drivers license. No real skills or training involved, investment is low unless you need a car. Realistically take a look at how successful people are driving Uber or similar contractor positions. Most do it for a little extra money and not as a sole income provider. Starting a small business is much different, you have investment, possible a need for a storefront, equipment, training, marketing, employee's possibly. A much different scenario over just signing up to drive a car and pick up people. But since the skill level is low, the pay is not so great either. You won't get rich driving what amounts to a discounted cab service.
Really, no skills required, how about customer service skills? Driving safely and navigating to/from places you have never been to in your life requires no skill?

Self Employment is very much small business ownership and driving for Uber is a small business, we are Uber more so than Uber is. We provide the actual service that allows Uber to exist. Uber without drivers is nothing.

Last edited:

UberDick

Really, no skills required, how about customer service skills? Driving safely and navigating to/from places you have never been to in your life requires no skill?

Self Employment is very much small business ownership and driving for Uber is a small business, we are Uber more so than Uber is. We provide the actual service that allows Uber to exist. Uber without drivers is nothing.
You haven't riden in an uberX recently, have you?

I would absoluty say it's no skill required. 2 weeks ago the newbie driver I got ran two stop signs, I made him stop the car and end the ride. Lucky for us at that point we were 2 blocks from the girls house I had taken out.

Try riding for uber and not just driving, you'd be suprised at how many shitty X drivers there are.

HERR_UBERMENSCH

You haven't riden in an uberX recently, have you?

I would absoluty say it's no skill required. 2 weeks ago the newbie driver I got ran two stop signs, I made him stop the car and end the ride. Lucky for us at that point we were 2 blocks from the girls house I had taken out.

Try riding for uber and not just driving, you'd be suprised at how many shitty X drivers there are.
Did you 1 star him so you wouldn't see him again?