Started Lyft Yesterday

Tenchains

Yesterday I started Lyft because of reports of higher pay and better riders. I took 5 rides yesterday for $35 and no tips. I had three cancellations yesterday alone one was 12 minutes on my way there. I had two cancellations today one after I already arrived. Two rides today no tips. I still have not seen the cancellations over 5 minutes paid onto my balance. Maybe they don't pay for cancellations. Most of my trips have been more than 15 minutes away. It takes me longer to get there than than the actual ride. I guess on the good side Lyft riders have been better. Not sure how. But they have been running me ragged and there are many cancellations. I have almost had as many cancellations with Lyft in two days as I had with Uber in three weeks. Then I opened both apps at the same time and got pinged for both in unison. The I missed both in my confusion. Going very well in SE Michigan. Not. I am not making enough money after fuel and driving 20 minutes to pick someone up.

Uber48208

You're under the $350 for 30 in 30 promo I presume? If so, remember there's a carrot you're chasing. The second that 30th ride is done, you can cash it out.

Uber48208

I do not drive past 7 minutes, I let it pass
Not worth the time
I've given 42 Lyfts in Detroit... I can count on one hand how many times the request was under 7 mins away. This area is very tough to get close rides outside of certain sections at very specific times.

Tenchains

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have to do 50 rides for $450. And I need to keep 90% acceptance rate. It fell to 93% yesterday. I simply stopped and did Uber the rest of the day and the longest pick up was 11 minutes. Plus only one cancel on Uber. Had 5 cancels in two days on Lyft most likely because the riders did not want to be waiting 20 minutes. To the point now I am scared to go online with Lyft because I can't refuse a ride or I'll go under 90% and I don't want 20 minute pickups that cancel after 15 minutes driving.

Last edited:

Another Uber Driver

The second that 30th ride is done, you can cash it out.
When I was working for the Lyft sign--on bonus, I did similarly. I took the trips, but, once the bonus went into my account, it has pretty much been Lyft OFF! and Uber On! It did not hurt that Uber's incentives and bonuses generally are better than Lyft's. Any more, I use Lyft for when Uber sends me to stand in the Virtual Corner for refusing too many Uber Pools. This allows me to keep active the account.

As for the cancellations, I would e-Mail Lyft. It has been my experience that Lyft takes forever and fifteen days to answer if you are a peon such as I am. Others disagree with me, however.

MSUGrad9902

Yes - Lyft in metro Detroit is rough. Friends of mine wanted a ride - so I set them up on a pax referral. Figured I'd do one more ride after them to get to the $50 express pay feature. Next ping is Lyft plus and 20 miles from me. Called ahead to make sure they wanted to wait. Worked out that time ($15 tip) but really the only time I do Lyft now here is for pax referral fees to my friends.

Aaron Beauchamp

I left Uber to go to Lyft. Was happy. Now Lyft is getting on my **** list. I have had five rides cancel, just as I pulled up. Lame. Did I get any compensation for it? Naw. I checked Lyft's "cancellation policy" and they claim to charge the rider $5 if the driver is within 5 minutes of arrival. I have never seen a penny of this.

I will keep driving, because the benefits do outweigh the negative. But I never thought I'd say I'm staring to like Uber more than Lyft again. Never thought I would say that! Lyft has way, way too many cancellations....and they dont' compensate you for them.

Do nan tram

Today I drove lyft , pick a guy from Burlington mall to dorchester at 2.30pm = $64.50, i have 2 phone, uber rider taken me to lyft surge zone, lyft rider took me to uber surge zone. Don't work hard but works smarter.

Attachments

Oscarthegrouch

I started driving for Lyft in Grand Rapids, Mi. a few weeks ago when they started here. Most pings here are over 20 minutes as well. Now that I received my bonus, I no longer take anything over 10 minutes. As for tips, over half of my pax tip, only a $1 for the most part though. I do agree pax are nicer than Ubers.

Tenchains

I started driving for Lyft in Grand Rapids, Mi. a few weeks ago when they started here. Most pings here are over 20 minutes as well. Now that I received my bonus, I no longer take anything over 10 minutes. As for tips, over half of my pax tip, only a $1 for the most part though. I do agree pax are nicer than Ubers.
Do you get into any trouble for not taking the rides under 10 mins??

Oscarthegrouch

Do you get into any trouble for not taking the rides under 10 mins??
Not yet. It's only been a few days since I received my bonus, plus I haven't driven much. So I've only ignored a couple of pings thus far. I plan on driving a lot this weekend, I'll keep you posted.

Tenchains

Oh I just did some searching online. It looks like Lyft will deactivate you for a low acceptance rate. They will send you a warning email first though. Uber supposedly does also. Although they temporarily block you. With Uber you also get a warning. My Lyft mentor says he calls the Pax and gets them to cancel due to distance blah blah. Which is smart, but I am not able to manage that.

snarekick

I get tons of cancellations through lyft. I've started taking screenshots of the pick up address before I start my journey so that I can write into support and get my cancellation fee. Lots of 20+ minute requests so I think pax's are cancelling because of that.

MSUGrad9902

Oscar - how is Grand Rapids for Uber? My in laws live out that way and when we visit I might have to escape a while to go drive.

Oscarthegrouch

Oscar - how is Grand Rapids for Uber? My in laws live out that way and when we visit I might have to escape a while to go drive.
Friday and Saturday nights are the best. The college crowd will be back in a few days, so things should be picking up again. Driving between 10pm and 3am fri and sat nights during the summer my average was $100 give or take each night. Last winter I'd usually bring in $150 to $200. The rest of the times around here are hit and miss.

MSUGrad9902

So I only started in May, and a Friday night to 330 am usually gets me 150-200 in the summer here if I start at 9. So it sounds like I can visit the in laws once in a while and still keep my part time gig up without missing a weekend of extra income. Thanks!

Tenchains

Not yet. It's only been a few days since I received my bonus, plus I haven't driven much. So I've only ignored a couple of pings thus far. I plan on driving a lot this weekend, I'll keep you posted.
I was wondering how it worked out with your cancellations.