1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Standard Mileage Deduction

Discussion in 'Taxes' started by clayinaustin, Jul 11, 2018 at 12:07 PM.

1. clayinaustin

clayinaustin New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I am new to the forum. In fact, this is my first post. I have been reading all of the (confusing) posts about taxes and deductions, so I went to the Uber webpage and found this:

Who gets it? Every Uber driver and delivery-partner will receive a tax summary.

What's changed since last year? We've redesigned the Uber tax summary to make it a more useful resource for drivers. Here’s what's new:

• Total online miles: You'll now see a yearly total of online miles logged. This includes miles spent waiting for a trip, on your way to pick up a rider or uberEATS order, and on a trip. Last year, tax summaries included only on-trip miles.
    • Expenses, Fees and Tax: Tax summaries now include an easy-to-understand breakdown of your potential tax deductions, to help you streamline the filing of your tax return.

So, it looks like we can use this new information from Uber to claim "standard miles" and ignore all other expenses like gas, oil, car wash, etc.

Agreed?

Clay

2. Older Chauffeur

Older Chauffeur Well-Known Member

Uber doesn't decide for you whether actual operating costs or the standard mileage rate is better. In either event, you should keep a contemporaneous mileage log, per the IRS rules, to establish the percentage of business/personal miles.
    For most rideshare drivers the standard mileage rate offers the best tax deduction, along with being easier to track.

Disclosure: I'm not a tax professional.

3. clayinaustin

clayinaustin New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I agree with your post, but I like to keep things simple. If I am "online" on the Uber app, then I am working. Since Uber will send me the miles I drive while the app is ""online", then those are the miles I will claim. :p

4. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Fine, but you still need to keep a daily log showing daily begin/end mileage and purpose of use. I’m not a tax professional either, but IRS offers clear details on their website.

UberTaxPro and Older Chauffeur like this.
  5. UberTaxPro

UberTaxPro Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The IRS by law can not accept Uber's records as proof of your business driving. The only thing the IRS will accept is your own mileage log. It's your responsibility to comply with the tax laws so don't count on Uber to do it for you. Many on this board have found themselves locked out of their Uber online accounts and unable to access the records uber is keeping. It's your ride-share business, keep your own books.

LAuberX and Older Chauffeur like this.
  6. NGOwner

NGOwner Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The miles that Uber reports are only the miles that you drive with the app on.

If you drive for Lyft as well, you won't have an accurate record of total miles driven.

If you turn the Uber app off and and drive the rest of the way home, you won't have an accurate record of total miles driven.

If Uber gitches you won't have an accurate record of total miles driven.

Do you really expect with all the shenanigans that Uber pulls on drivers that they can be trusted to provide accurate information?

Keep your own records. Car odometer. Trip odometer. Mileage log. Always better.

[NG]Owner

7. arich35

arich35 New Member

You only have to keep miles for business right? I have a sheet that shows start mileage and ending mileage after working, anything in between I don't record so there will always be a difference from ending to beginning miles

8. Older Chauffeur

Older Chauffeur Well-Known Member

Right, use the permanent odometer rather than the resettable trip odometer in your log.