• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

St. Louis Mardi Gras

UberGuy77

I started driving last November, so this will be my first experience driving during Mardi gras this coming Saturday. Any tips? Are there going to be specified Uber staging areas marked with Uber flags/banners/tents where people can wait for rides? Can anyone attest to the surge pricing in years past -- Is it pretty consistent throughout the day? Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

UberBobSTL

This will be my second Mardi Gras - been driving since it started. My advice: don't allow people with drinks (or any sort of open container) in your car. It will spill. It will make a mess. And the cleaning fee you'll get for a spilled hurricane won't be worth it. Thankfully, that didn't happen to me until almost 3 a.m. last year, but it did happen.

Also, be ready for pukers.

Flying16150

This will be my second Mardi Gras - been driving since it started. My advice: don't allow people with drinks (or any sort of open container) in your car. It will spill. It will make a mess. And the cleaning fee you'll get for a spilled hurricane won't be worth it. Thankfully, that didn't happen to me until almost 3 a.m. last year, but it did happen.

Also, be ready for pukers.
I'm sure glad there's enough if you brave souls who will risk all that with your car just for the sake of a fare.
Call me a chicken _hit but I do believe I will pass getting to close to the action, I love my car way to much to expose it to all that.

TotC

I am with you. I'll be driving the morning sober hours and leaving the rest of the day for everybody else.
Ditto here, I have other social engagements Saturday evening. Edit: I'd amend my own reply to driving semi sober hours. I imagine a good lot of West County will be pre-gaming the festivities.

Matt Mauschbaugh

What has Uber told all the drivers as it pertains to pick ups and drop offs in Soulard? I know last year there was a dedicated pick up spot but it doesn't seem like there is any info for this year?

Clean Diesel

It can be a pain to drop off because of the traffic, which means it'll take a while to get away from the place to pick up someone else. But you'll probably need to drive some dead miles unless you're counting on multiple short fares from the area. I got lucky last year. Picked up an airport fare from downtown, then a 4x surge in Olivette coming back on I-170. The dedicated pickup spot was a joke. Was never sure how anyone got picked up when cellular was overtaxed. I gather it's everyone for himself this year.

cindym

What has Uber told all the drivers as it pertains to pick ups and drop offs in Soulard? I know last year there was a dedicated pick up spot but it doesn't seem like there is any info for this year?
All it says in the drivers app today is that riders will be told to exit the closed road area in the Soulard before pinging us.

MRBPO

We have nowhere to go this year and that's sucks. At least last year we had a corridor to drive in and pick up pax.
It will be a mess

cindym

A little over $90 from 9 am to 1 pm, $35 in tips ($15 and $20 from account holders when other pax filled my emesis bags and took them with them when they left.) I intended to drive all day, but with two pukers at 11:30 and a little after noon, I decided to quit while I was ahead and only had to vacuum up glitter.

Attachments

Last edited:

PolloMan

$80 from 9am to 12pm. 2 short surge rides. The neighborhoods blew up this morning. I was piling on top of other drivers picking people up at locations.

Grill

The zones makes sense now, I had a pax tell me he tried several times to request a ride when in the middle of Soulard. I don't remember the message it gave him, but it wouldnt allow drivers in his location. Best surge I noticed was 3.4. Best fare was from Sauget to St. Peters with a 1.2. $40! I hope everyone did well for Mardi Gras. No crazy stories just a bunch of misc. crap left in the car.

Attachments

RamzFanz

I went nowhere near Soulard except 1 dropoff after the roads were open. I just realised I wasn't in the mood and avoided it. I made $23 an hour for 8 1/2 hours and called it quits. It was nice out west, so few cars.