1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Sprint CEO to join Uber's board of directors

Discussion in 'News' started by Hugo, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Hugo

Hugo Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/07/sprint-ceo-to-join-uber-board-of-directors/

Sprint CEO to join Uber's board of directors
    The carrier boss will have a say over Uber's direction.

"SoftBank has more than just a large stake in Uber -- it'll soon have some direct control as well. Recode sources understand that Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure is taking one of SoftBank's two slots on Uber's board of directors in the "next few weeks." The other slot is reportedly slated to go to Rajeev Misra, the leader of the SoftBank Vision Fund that took charge of the Uber deal. Neither Uber nor SoftBank has commented on the apparent scoop.

Uber is still looking for both an independent chairman and three independent directors.

It's not completely surprising that Claure would grab a spot on Uber's board. As the head of Sprint, he's arguably SoftBank's most prominent American executive. However, it also raises the possibility of further collaboration between Uber and one of the largest American carriers. Sprint has preloaded Uber's app in the past, and it wouldn't be out of the question to see more tie-ins or policy decisions that serve Sprint's interests.

Source: Recode"

https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/07/sprint-ceo-to-join-uber-board-of-directors/

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. PMartino

PMartino Well-Known Member

I hope he can hear us now

3. 7Miles

7Miles Well-Known Member

I take it, Jared from Subway was not available at this time

TwoFiddyMile and tohunt4me like this.
  4. PMartino

PMartino Well-Known Member

He's got smaller things to get involved with

TwoFiddyMile and tohunt4me like this.
  5. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    New rule: beginning tomorrow, ALL Uber Drivers MUST switch their cell phone service to Sprint, or be deactivated.

NYCY, TwoFiddyMile and tohunt4me like this.
  6. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW ?

" LOWER RATES MEAN MORE MONEY"!

You cant do that !

But

SPRINT USERS GET 10 TIMES MORE PINGS !

mrpjfresh and Uber's Guber like this.
  7. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

4F8670E4-23B0-4D08-A7CA-C55AFE03B31B.png A seat on the board for 2 star service ?

tohunt4me likes this.
  8. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

I understand several seats on the board may become available soon . . .

Attached Files:

9. goneubering

goneubering Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    This should be good. One more adult to give advice to Uber management.

10. Uber_Yota_916

Uber_Yota_916 Well-Known Member

Nothing scream quality like being the CEO of Sprint. Maybe back in pre cellphone days it had a decent reputation, but not now. Sprint is a god awful cellphone company. Getro pcs is a better option.

tohunt4me likes this.
  11. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

from one unprofitable company to another

tohunt4me likes this.
  12. FormerTaxiDriver

FormerTaxiDriver Well-Known Member

I was wondering why Sprint offers kept showing up in the rewards section in my app. I guess Uber was courting a solid business partner. Clearly friends with Travis, so I'm very sceptical about this seat on the board.

About 20 years go, I had Sprint PCS and custom calling cards for my taxi. Sprint would shut my service off without warning. It pissed me off so much, I never wanted to use them again, I still have'nt to this day.

driverdoug and tohunt4me like this.
  13. rbkg40

rbkg40 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Like I said in another thread, Sprint service sucks. You can't take a call and use data at the same time. You get a call from a PAX, GPS and maps stop working.

tohunt4me and FormerTaxiDriver like this.
  14. FormerTaxiDriver

FormerTaxiDriver Well-Known Member

I wish there were some way that I can opt out of in-app ads.

tohunt4me likes this.
  15. Hugo

Hugo Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Don't like that either but that's slowly beginning to change on some phones: https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/services/faqs-about-calling-plus.html
    GPS doesn't stop working (it works off satellites). Google Maps continues working if, like me, you save maps locally. Rideshare apps do pause, often with an error message, when you are on a call.

16. rbkg40

rbkg40 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    They are masking the issue in there FAQs. I use to be in the cellular industry from the network side of things. These wireless companies would buy test equipment we manufactured. Sprint's Calling plus is the ability to take a wireless call using WIFI. In this case the ability to not use voice and data on the phone at the same time using the same LTE radio in your phone is a protocol that Sprint has put in place on the network side.

Case and point, I purchased the Moto Z2 Force Edition on a promo that Sprint was running when I had the issue I described with Maps and GPS when I got a call from a PAX. I cancelled the service and went back to TMobile only 6 days later. I got the same phone with TMobile. I don't have the issue. Simple solution was to get a provider with a better network.

17. Hugo

Hugo Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    You are describing Sprint's Wifi Calling. Sprint's newer service, Calling Plus (which most Sprint phones don't have), " . . . includes all the capabilities of Wi-Fi Calling and adds the ability to make and receive calls over Sprint’s LTE network. With Calling PLUS you can browse the Internet and use other apps that require data services while you are on a call."

This is not VoLTE but instead VoIP using LTE, so voice calls work but are not prioritized. At this point, Sprint's LTE network is not yet robust enough to support VoLTE.

https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/services/faqs-about-calling-plus.html

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  18. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Time to switch to Verizon...

19. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

Um...he was born in Bolivia and apparently now holds dual citizenship Bolivia-US.

Oh well...at least he is CEO of one of the world's top 100 cellphone networks. Sprint actually doesn't work very well, but you know, it's a network and all...

20. Hugo

Hugo Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Yup. Bolivian American.

Among other things, he also founded Brightstar.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erinca...brightstar-is-worth-900-million/#234a82022993

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo_Claure

He inherited a mess.