Spitting Incident

UBERyDUMB

SUED
'DEADLIEST CATCH' STAR SIG HANSEN SUED OVER UBER INCIDENT

By Mark Gray Wonderwall
10:21am PDT, Sep 11, 2017

In May, "Deadliest Catch" captain Sig Hansen was arrested in Seattle after being involved in a spitting incident with his Uber driver. Now that driver has filed a lawsuit against the reality star.

TMZ reported that Waheed Lawal, the driver, filed a lawsuit against Sig and his son-in-law, Clark Pederson, for allegedly spitting on the back of his head and damaging his car.

Sig was arrested on May 18 on charges of assault and property destruction. A police report, obtained by TMZ at the time, said the boat captain and his family were in an Uber when the app canceled his ride. Sig then tried to pay the driver $100 to complete the trip, but the driver refused, saying it was against Uber's rules.

A reportedly infuriated Sig allegedly spit on the driver's head and the back of the driver's seat. He then got out of the vehicle and kicked the car.
The Uber driver immediately called the police, who came to the scene and saw fresh saliva on the car and noticed a dent in the car. Sig had left the scene before police arrived. After officers went to the reality TV star's home, they said he was "obviously intoxicated," and told them he was celebrating Norwegian Independence Day.
In the civil lawsuit, Waheed is suing for assault and battery. In addition, the driver's wife, who wasn't involved in the incident, is also suing Sig, claiming that because of her husband's injuries, they haven't had a sex life.

In a statement after the incident, Sig said, "I am terribly sorry for my behavior and am very embarrassed by it. I owe a bunch of people apologies, first and foremost to our Uber driver, who was just trying to get us home safely. I hope I can make that apology in person. I have no excuse, and accept responsibility for my actions. I made a boneheaded move last night, and I am sorry."

After the incident, Uber kicked Sig off of the app.

Lawal's suing for assault and battery. And get this ... his wife's a plaintiff too, claiming loss of consortium. In other words, the couple isn't having sex anymore due to his injuries.

Sig's previously apologized for the incident. Not enough for Lawal, obviously.

Mars Troll Number 4

Unfortunately... the driver was doing what was in the best interest of the customer.

Providing a safe INSURED ride.

This is also one of the biggest technological failings of uber,

If they had gotten into an accident, and been paralyzed after the app shuts off, it *could* have turned into a legal battle that extended for months or even years. (some insurance cases take years to settle anyway)

Blatherskite

The lack of consortium should get thrown out and boomerang the driver into unending public humiliation. Sure, he was despicably wronged, but he took his revenge one step too far.

Also, the wife should be ululated into ritual shaming.

Mars Troll Number 4

Had he taken the $100 he would not be covered by insurance. Therefore liable to law suits at that point he wouldn't be able to bang his wife because she would of left him.

exactly.. but if a taxi had their meter fail out (extremely rare) the taxi would have been just fine taking them the entire way.

Mars Troll Number 4

Would commercial insurance had made any difference if the guy had spit on a taxi ?

Well considering...

This mess started over the driver ending the trip and throwing them out?

Yeah it would have prevented it.

The customer got mad because

The driver wouldn't....
download.jpg

That's why the customer got Pissed off.

Because the driver was trying to throw him out because uber went haywire and canceled the trip. He even offered cash to continue the trip to the destination.

He got mad because the customer wanted a service, he had cash, and he was refused service over a technical glitch.

tohunt4me

Tell Sig his problem can disappear for a small fee . . .

Well considering...

The driver wouldn't....
View attachment 157586

Because the driver was trying to throw him out because uber went haywire and canceled the trip. He even offered cash to continue the trip to the destination.

He got mad because the customer wanted a service, he had cash, and he was refused service over a technical glitch.
He should sue Uber for App. Malfunction.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-13-00-04-53.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-13-00-04-53.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 24

unPat

Well considering...

The driver wouldn't....
View attachment 157586

So I can spit on a taxi driver and throw $100 to his face and that's okay ?

Mars Troll Number 4

So I can spit on a taxi driver and throw $100 to his face and that's okay ?

I didn't say that.

What i said was... if he was in a taxi, and let's say the dispatch system goes down... and credit card processing, and the customer doesn't have cash (which is going beyond this.

I would take the customers money, and drive him where he wanted to go, cash or credit.

That failure... is why the customer got pissed off.

Let's assume my tablet goes down, can't even log on or start the stupid thing.

I'll take the customer's money and happily do it..

And the customer will be insured...

I have money,
I want ride
If you don't give me one i'll get pissed.

That's what started this.. honestly... that's it. I totally see this happen, I've probably come within a hair of this happening to me...

THAT is the difference, a taxi is insured and is a taxi 24/7, an uber is only an uber when the app is on and properly running.

Let's assume he used the mears taxi app to summon and pay for the ride,
Dispatch goes down, like completely fails.

Do I throw him out?
Or do I take his card through my square reader or take his cash?

If your the customer do you get mad at me if i break out an alternative payment system?

If uber takes a crap.. you have to throw them out... there's no other options. You can't take cash, you can't break out a square processer, you can't do anything but slam the breaks and toss them out. Especially if they are going any distance..

That's why what's his name got mad..

That's the why the driver got spit on, because he was being unreasonable, by not even considering to take another method of payment.

Buckiemohawk

I took a couple to Riverside, because they got stuck in Orlando, long story. I called the cousin who agreed to pay me the rest of the money. I even charged less than the trip actually was just because it was a 150 bucks that was easier than doing several jet runs and no tolls

wk1102

I didn't say that.

What i said was... if he was in a taxi, and let's say the dispatch system goes down... and credit card processing, and the customer doesn't have cash (which is going beyond this.

I would take the customers money, and drive him where he wanted to go, cash or credit.

That failure... is why the customer got pissed off.

Let's assume my tablet goes down, can't even log on or start the stupid thing.

I'll take the customer's money and happily do it..

And the customer will be insured...

I have money,
I want ride
If you don't give me one i'll get pissed.

That's what started this.. honestly... that's it. I totally see this happen, I've probably come within a hair of this happening to me...

THAT is the difference, a taxi is insured and is a taxi 24/7, an uber is only an uber when the app is on and properly running.

Let's assume he used the mears taxi app to summon and pay for the ride,
Dispatch goes down, like completely fails.

Do I throw him out?
Or do I take his card through my square reader or take his cash?

If your the customer do you get mad at me if i break out an alternative payment system?

If uber takes a crap.. you have to throw them out... there's no other options. You can't take cash, you can't break out a square processer, you can't do anything but slam the breaks and toss them out. Especially if they are going any distance..

That's why what's his name got mad..

That's the why the driver got spit on, because he was being unreasonable, by not even considering to take another method of payment.

We don't k ow that the app crashed just that the ride got canceled during trip.

I'm willing to bet they were being obnoxious before the trip was canceled and the driver just didn't want to continue the trip after it was canceled.

They got pissed off because they didn't get their way, because the driver didn't bow down to the "celebrity " and give him what he demanded.

You are trying to paint this as a poor frustrated customer just got fed up and lost control. Bullshit, another entitled, quasi - celebrity throwing a hissy fit.

Mars Troll Number 4

I took a couple to Riverside, because they got stuck in Orlando, long story. I called the cousin who agreed to pay me the rest of the money. I even charged less than the trip actually was just because it was a 150 bucks that was easier than doing several jet runs and no tolls

I'll go down to as low as $1.75 (or even $1.50) a mile for long distance runs... still is worth it if your going a long haul..

wk1102

Unfortunately... the driver was doing what was in the best interest of the customer.

Providing a safe INSURED ride.

This is also one of the biggest technological failings of uber,

If they had gotten into an accident, and been paralyzed after the app shuts off, it *could* have turned into a legal battle that extended for months or even years. (some insurance cases take years to settle anyway)

Your posts are usually very informative, well written and I always enjoy reading them. That said, you're really reaching with Uber bashing on this one. I give you props on the creativity but... sometimes we have to call a spade a spade. Captain Sig is an @@@@@@@!

Once a trip is started it is insured until they get out of the car. Granted, i do not want to be the one to find out whether or not James rivers challenges this or not but it is stated that the ride is insured until all riders are out of the car.

Assuming this is true, the driver should have just finished the trip. He could have pocketed the c-note and has the fare adjusted. Uber is actually good about this, they have always adjusted the fare when I have requested. I had a trip I canceled before I started, 50 ish miles. I dont remember the details but I didn't realize it was canceled until 3/4 of the way there.
I ended it as soon as i started or just canceled I'm not sure. They paid me no questions asked, it was an xl-West Palm to Jensen beach.

As much as like to bash uber, there are some things they do right.

This is a case of an entitled Richard thinking the world owes him, nothing else. Now because of Cap"n crunch this drivers poor wife isn't getting any.

They treated the driver like shit, when the ride was canceled during the trip the driver used it as an excuse to get rid of them, plain and simple.

touberornottouber

It is suspicious that the app canceled the ride itself. I suspect the driver might have done it because Sig was too drunk or maybe drunk Sig did it himself. Either way the driver was right. Accepting that $100 would technically be illegal and would very likely cost him his job.

OTOH the driver is being a jerk for making way too much out of it to get a payday. He needs to be compensated for the damage and for the spitting but that should be the damage plus no more than a few hundred bucks. It would be totally different if sig punched him or something but that didn't happen.

Your posts are usually very informative, well written and I always enjoy reading them. That said, you're really reaching with Uber bashing on this one. I give you props on the creativity but... sometimes we have to call a spade a spade. Captain Sig is an @@@@@@@!

Once a trip is started it is insured until they get out of the car. Granted, i do not want to be the one to find out whether or not James rivers challenges this or not but it is stated that the ride is insured until all riders are out of the car.

Assuming this is true, the driver should have just finished the trip. He could have pocketed the c-note and has the fare adjusted. Uber is actually good about this, they have always adjusted the fare when I have requested. I had a trip I canceled before I started, 50 ish miles. I dont remember the details but I didn't realize it was canceled until 3/4 of the way there.
I ended it as soon as i started or just canceled I'm not sure. They paid me no questions asked, it was an xl-West Palm to Jensen beach.

As much as like to bash uber, there are some things they do right.

This is a case of an entitled Richard thinking the world owes him, nothing else. Now because of Cap"n crunch this drivers poor wife isn't getting any.

They treated the driver like shit, when the ride was canceled during the trip the driver used it as an excuse to get rid of them, plain and simple.

Well there is another problem with this: the rider can claim that you canceled the trip and then demanded $100 cash. The driver would especially be taking a big risk doing this with a heavily drunk passenger like Sig at the time. Any driver with more than a month of night experience knows this. Uber tends NOT to back up the driver and tends to believe the passenger. As a result the driver may have been "fired" if he went along.

Also if you have a potentially dangerous passenger the smartest thing to do is get them out and get away from them as soon as you can. You don't want to be taking them somewhere for $100 cash or even for $1000 cash. Your life and livelihood is worth far more.

Mars Troll Number 4

Also if you have a potentially dangerous passenger the smartest thing to do is get them out and get away from them as soon as you can. You don't want to be taking them somewhere for $100 cash or even for $1000 cash. Your life and livelihood is worth far more.

I used to do it back when i still had taxi insurance and a taxi... But that's a different matter...

And I WOULD NOT want to spend years fighting with James river over a customer still being in the car or not, i've heard enough bad things.