Specific details for Melbourne Strike Action

Llib07

Hello all Melbourne drivers on Wednesday on May 8th we will participate in this major strike by logging off between 3pm to 6pm
For those who are really passionate about our actions some drivers have said this is not long enough,
Anyone interested in striking for longer can start logging off at midday and finish striking at midnight. It’s not necessary but the more hours we strike the better and I will personally do 12 hours.

There is another action by another group who will protest outside the green hub at 10:30am just be careful of deactivations so if you really depend on Uber just log off as they have no way of knowing that you’re participating in the strike.

I will list demands below
$7 minimum fare
10% increase on all guaranteed fares
Limit of commission to 20%

These are just initial demands we will ask for more especially the minimum fare by asking for $10 but we need to start striking to pressure Uber

Last edited:

goneubering

Hello all Melbourne drivers on Wednesday on May 8th we will participate in this major strike by logging off between 3pm to 6pm
For those who are really passionate about our actions some drivers have said this is not long enough,
Anyone interested in striking for longer can start logging off at midday and finish striking at midnight. It’s not necessary but the more hours we strike the better and I will personally do 12 hours.

There is another action by another group who will protest outside the green hub at 10:30am just be careful of deactivations so if you really depend on Uber just log off as they have no way of knowing that you’re participating in the strike.

$7 minimum fare

These are just initial demands we will ask for more especially the minimum fare by asking for $10 but we need to start striking to pressure Uber

If you’re serious about this you’re going to need a LOT more coverage than just posting in this forum.

Llib07

If you’re serious about this you’re going to need a LOT more coverage than just posting in this forum.
Yep like handing out thousands of flyers with strike details to people going through the airport and also referring back to Uberpeople and other social media channels. There is more than one channel but this is good as this is a major community of Uber drivers and unfortunately many trolls.
Thanks for the advice ?. Maybe real help will be good instead of 2 cents of commentary. Yep will wait for your PM saying “how can I help to get more coverage” nope still waiting aaaah the silence is deafening.

Last edited:

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
I think you should shut down a full 12 to 14 hour workday. 6:00 am to 8:00 pm. Cripple the Wednesday commute.

No Prisoners

$7 minimum fare

My humble suggestion is to do demonstrations in financial districts in front of office of Uber’s underwriters Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America.
If NYC same buildings plus NASDAQ marketsite, CNBC, FOX business, CNN studios and NY TimesThat's where you'll get best investors attention and media coverage. Furthermore, boycott picking up around financial districts. That will cause much inconvenience.

It does not affect uber demonstrations by hub. However, iinvestors' perception matters the most.
Disrupt IPO is most important message drivers can send. Follow the money.

Llib07

I think that is an excellent idea although I have distributed a large number of flyers with the 3 hour period. This will not be our last strike and something like 7am to 7pm in Melbourne would cover both commutes and 12 hours nicely. Thanks for the advice.
Post automatically merged:

My humble suggestion is to do demonstrations in financial districts in front of office of Uber’s underwriters Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America.
If NYC same buildings plus NASDAQ marketsite, CNBC, FOX business, CNN studios and NY TimesThat's where you'll get best investors attention and media coverage. Furthermore, boycott picking up around financial districts. That will cause much inconvenience.

It does not affect uber demonstrations by hub. However, iinvestors' perception matters the most.
Disrupt IPO is most important message drivers can send. Follow the money.
The money is certainly not down in Australia, we only mine stuff and ship it overseas. Maybe in front of a TV station like ABC which is left leaning.

No Prisoners

To get results you need to start thinking like an investor not a driver. Uber thinks drivers are stupid but care about investors.
Target IPO and investors perception.

Llib07

To get results you need to start thinking like an investor not a driver. Uber thinks drivers are stupid but care about investors.
Target IPO and investors perception.
Only problem is that investors may see poor drivers pay as a good thing. Even uber said we will stop bonuses and make more money.

No Prisoners

Only problem is that investors may see poor drivers pay as a good thing. Even uber said we will stop bonuses and make more money.
If investors believe drivers can organize translates to Uber losing the control to impose rates. Consequently drivers can force through bargaining higher rates. Uber's model as is cannot support burn rate ans $10 billion at IPO would only last less than 3 years. Uber's bonds are too expensive at junk rates they're paying. Their debt won't be sustainable ans they will default. Raising driver rates causes faster dilution.
Any type of driver organization is catastrophic to Uber.

Y
Yep like handing out thousands of flyers with strike details to people going through the airport and also referring back to Uberpeople and other social media channels. There is more than one channel but this is good as this is a major community of Uber drivers and unfortunately many trolls.
Thanks for the advice ?. Maybe real help will be good instead of 2 cents of commentary. Yep will wait for your PM saying “how can I help to get more coverage” nope still waiting aaaah the silence is deafening.
I think that is an excellent idea although I have distributed a large number of flyers with the 3 hour period. This will not be our last strike and something like 7am to 7pm in Melbourne would cover both commutes and 12 hours nicely. Thanks for the advice.

The money is certainly not down in Australia, we only mine stuff and ship it overseas. Maybe in front of a TV station like ABC which is left leaning.
yes we need to make as much noise as possible.The best way i can think of is to protest regularly on a certain day every week for 4-6 hours so that word gets on the media, and drivers can come and go during that time to show their support for the protest,and wear a mask if they like......the mask could be a signature of ouf protest,we need to come up with one.....whos face will it be? Travis Kalanick?

The point would be to make as noise to STEM THE RIDE OF NEW DRIVERS and to get the support of the other drivers who have not heard about this and to join us,without a formalised union.
we also need to make some noise about uber fares in some markets where uber has jacked up the fares only to give the driver a tiny amount.Passengers usually only really react and care with their dollars is when it affects them.If they realise that they will get price gouged by uber eventually they will then care.
Uber is nothing but a rippoff - drivers,passengers,investors.At the moment it is the investors turn to get blinded by the stunning growth rates at uber,but although heavily subsidised to create the perception that uber is worth the $120bn they were initially seeking.Now it is down to $84-90bn.That is 90bn reasons to do what they are doing.Time to stop them.Travis Kalanick has about 7bn left of reasons to do this.He still calls some shots at uber,he is apparently getting along with Dara (news reports)
You cant have immoral and highly unethical people running such a large company and in fact any company
Time to stop them.

Last edited:

goneubering

I’m sorry to hurt your feelings. This is indeed a forum of Uber drivers but it’s only a tiny tiny slice of all the drivers out there. The vast majority of drivers have no idea. From the outside looking in it appears to be a very disorganized attempt that won’t make any difference to Uber. I’ve looked for the other avenues that supposedly are being used to promote the strike like Facebook and Twitter but have found nothing of value which leads me to conclude the strike is a dead man walking. You can post some links if I’m wrong.

Llib07

Thanks, that seems quite high maybe they should do balance transfers on credit cards

I’m sorry to hurt your feelings. This is indeed a forum of Uber drivers but it’s only a tiny tiny slice of all the drivers out there. The vast majority of drivers have no idea. From the outside looking in it appears to be a very disorganized attempt that won’t make any difference to Uber. I’ve looked for the other avenues that supposedly are being used to promote the strike like Facebook and Twitter but have found nothing of value which leads me to conclude the strike is a dead man walking. You can post some links if I’m wrong.
Response to goneubering I am ignoring him now.

You have not been looking around including to outside this forum (no direct reference intended) We have all major US, UK and even South American cities involved all on the same day. I do not see how that is disorganized.

People have called me disabled and @@@@@@ed (no offence to these groups of people) so you are quite civilized compared to people in the Melbourne forum.
My feelings are not hurt but you have to think cooperatively not critically saying whats going on I am not happy with the organisation of this strike when in fact it depends on drivers working together and each contributing in a positive way.
If you find organisation lacking which I actually did in Melbourne I did something myself because grassroots campaigns are started with passionate people taking the initiative.
You need to look yourself as I will not violate the terms by putting in links here. I will repeat that any help is welcome. And this is my last comment to you mate you have nothing to offer and are just negative.

Last edited:

Maybe Channel 10.They had some real uber news regarding the real conditions when the other channels did not

Llib07

Maybe Channel 10.They had some real uber news regarding the real conditions when the other channel did not
I actually am a private person and do not want to show my face. I like to organise activities behind the scenes so if there are more outspoken people in Melbourne I am happy to cooperate with people.

No Prisoners

Thanks, that seems quite high maybe they should do balance transfers on credit cards
Here's a confession. (See article below) Morgan Stanley' banker who moonlights as an Uber driver to research the company doing the same thing I've done for over a year. Only for different purposes.
Him as investment banker to take uber public, my whole career in banking for over 40 years. My purpose, analyze uber's model and the industry as a whole to create a sustainable alternative giving the labor force total independence.
With my group we discovered, for lack of better word, a model that gives drivers 100% of fares without any upfront fees. The platform's revenue streams totally separate from fares.
Here's the beauty. If uber decides to reduce fares to wipe us out it won't matter to us since our platform doesn't depend on fares. How low can uber actually go on fares to wipeout a competitor that is not affected by fares.
If 100% goes to drivers, then it's irrelevant to the platform.

Here's the article:

https://www.businessinsider.com/uber-bond-offering-raises-2-billion-popular-offering-2018-10

Uber raised $2 billion in its first-ever bond-offering — and the entire deal was done in near secrecy
Graham Rapier
Oct. 18, 2018, 10:38 AM
uber ceo dara khosrowshahi Dara Khosrowshahi, CEO of Uber, speaks at the 2018 NOAH conference in Berlin. Michele Tantussi/Getty Images

Uber raised $2 billion in bonds this week, the company confirmed to Business Insider on Thursday.
It's the ride-hailing company's first ever bond offering, and was able to maintain its secrecy through the private placement.
Uber and its closest competitor Lyft are both gearing up for public offerings as early as next year.

Uber has quietly sold $2 billion worth of bonds to a small but eager group of investors this week in a so-called private placement that allowed the ride-hailing giant to maintain its notorious veil of secrecy as it races towards an IPO next year.

The offering was made up of two coupons: $1.5 billion worth of eight-year notes with a yield of 8% and $500 million of five-year notes at 7.5%, according to the Financial Times. The company received $3 billion worth of orders, a source with knowledge of the offering, told the paper.

An Uber spokesperson confirmed the $2 billion sale to Business Insider.

As Uber gears up for an IPO as soon as next year, one that could leave it with a valuation topping that of the biggest three automakers combined, it's been successful in keeping its financials under wraps. Those institutional investors lucky enough to snap up the paper were asked to sign confidentiality agreements, Bloomberg News reported.

Typically, raising money through debt offerings requires at least some disclosure of financial information in order for potential investors to make an informed decision. Luckily for Uber, the demand was high enough that the revelations were limited in scope, according to Bloomberg.

What's more, a Morgan Stanley banker who moonlights as an Uber driver could be the company's secret weapon in buddy-ing up to banks — and keeping its dealings private, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Michael Grimes, the firm's head of technology investment banking, has a knack for researching potential clients through gigs like driving on the Uber platform or incessantly studying his daughter's Pandora usage, according to the paper, adding that Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs have both given presentations for Uber's eventual IPO.

It's not the company's first foray into debt offerings. Uber has raised tens of billions through equity sales and loans before, but this is the first time its offered bonds with yields this high. Still unprofitable, Uber is reportedly seeking investors to take minority stakes in its self-driving car unit, as it seeks to slow its cash burn.

As Uber raises cash, its closest US competitor Lyft is also racing towards an IPO in early 2019, possibly earlier than Uber. The firm has tapped Credit Suisse to assist with book running for that offering, expected to be above its $15 billion private valuation, with JPMorgan reportedly leading the banking effort.

High-yield bonds like Uber's have been popular this year, especially for tech companies which can burn through loads of cash. WeWork, the co-working space landlord, raised $500 million in high-yield coupons earlier this year. Netflix, notorious for its cash burn as it invests in streamable content, in April said it would offer $1.5 billion in junk bonds.

Do you have a news tip about Uber or Lyft? Contact this reporter at [email protected]

Exclusive FREE Report: The AI 101 Report by Business Insider Intelligence
SEE ALSO: Uber may spin off its self-driving car unit as it races to go public: report
NOW WATCH: Why this chef never puts cheese in a sandwich
More: Uber Uber IPO Uber bonds Junk Bonds

I actually am a private person and do not want to show my face. I like to organise activities behind the scenes so if there are more outspoken people in Melbourne I am happy to cooperate with people.
While back I placed your fatal attraction gosh goneubering dude to where he belongs the ignore trash bin. If he posts anything about my posts he's just wasting energy, because I won't see it ?

Last edited:

Roadmasta

It's starting to make national news here in the USA. Keep up the good work and get the word out.