sorry but bartenders make way more than us

jvegas

So I was talkin to this young guy at the gym I go to who is a bartender at Nardi's on LBI. I was bragging about the gaurentees and stuff, so he tells me its not unusuall for a bartender to make 600 - 1000 in one night, and this is Nardi's imagine the bars in Belmar area, probably busier.

We are making chump change compared to the bartenders who work at the bars we drop off at

atthehop

My oldest son is a bartender in a very upscale bar restaurant in Philly. Saw him in action when my wife and I were in Philly for lunch for our anniversary with our other children. I you think just going to bartender school is all you need than you have no idea, working the register and taking care of the people sitting at the bar, the people behind those sitting at the bar and the waiters is a very very tough task. He makes a lot of money but taking care of the drinkers is what makes him that money. Try it sometime. Waiting tables is the same, both my Philly kids have done that and I have always been impressed on what waiters have to do, in fact I tip 25-30 percent to all servers when I dine out because they need to pay the bartenders and bus boys to take care of their tables.

atthehop

Oh, one more thing. If possible never leave the tip on your credit card payment. Tip in CASH only, tips on credit cards require them to pay taxes on all money they split with the other staff and those people get it in cash from the server/bartenders.

Undermensch

So I was talkin to this young guy at the gym I go to who is a bartender at Nardi's on LBI. I was bragging about the gaurentees and stuff, so he tells me its not unusuall for a bartender to make 600 - 1000 in one night, and this is Nardi's imagine the bars in Belmar area, probably busier.

We are making chump change compared to the bartenders who work at the bars we drop off at
We also make less driving than a lot of our passengers make at their day jobs.

I make less (several times less) than I make at my day job and than I've made doing side work in my primary profession (programming).

We make less than US Senators too...

Almost all of our passengers will pay more for drinks after we drop them off than they pay for the ride, which they furiously split 4 ways.

Warren Buffet also makes more money than us.

My point? There isn't one!

I drive because I like it and the money is "good enough" for what I want at this time. The job, for me, gives me zero stress, which is worth a lot to me.

Last edited:

jvegas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We also make less driving than a lot of our passengers make at their day jobs.

I make less (several times less) than I make at my day job and than I've made doing side work in my primary profession (programming).

We make less than US Senators too...

Almost all of our passengers will pay more for drinks after we drop them off than they pay for the ride, which they furiously split 4 ways.

Warren Buffet also makes more money than us.

My point? There isn't one!

I drive because I like it and the money is "good enough" for what I want at this time. The job, for me, gives me zero stress, which is worth a lot to me.
Lol my point wasn't that I thought driving for Uber is a great job or something, but I did think we were in line with other seasonal shore tip oriented jobs(even though we don't make tips) like bartending. So I'm telling him I made like a grand in the past 3 days(thinking that's so great) and he turns around and tells me he made 3k, and I felt belittled.

jvegas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
and if you think about it, on average we should make more than bartenders.
They are serving people alcohol which puts lives in danger and we are saving those very lives that bartenders put in danger, and they're making more than us?
Our value to society is greatly unappreciated and under paid, we are like teachers and nurses and firemen.

No_Username

Good luck get one of those $600-$1000 a night battending spots. U have to know someone who knows someone get in a place like Djais, bar A, and nightclubs in NYC. I used to know a girl that bartended at pacha and she was bringing in 1200 on a Saturday night that she counted in front of me. U have to have a certain body type, a certain look, a certain attitude. And it all not reported at the end of the year. Bartenders in Vegas are bring in 100k in cash every year in the top clubs and there unioned. Why do u think all the guys are on steroids and the girls all have fake boobs?? And once your over 30, your done in these money pits. Remember, there's always someone younger and better looking then u, no matter how great looking u are.........

Last edited:

DriverX

Oh, one more thing. If possible never leave the tip on your credit card payment. Tip in CASH only, tips on credit cards require them to pay taxes on all money they split with the other staff and those people get it in cash from the server/bartenders.
I'll remember that next time a bartender or waitress DOESN"T TIP ME

DriverX

Lol my point wasn't that I thought driving for Uber is a great job or something, but I did think we were in line with other seasonal shore tip oriented jobs(even though we don't make tips) like bartending. So I'm telling him I made like a grand in the past 3 days(thinking that's so great) and he turns around and tells me he made 3k, and I felt belittled.
THere's also even less busy days for the wait staff. THere will be many night where they make $150 but they didn't drive their vehicle 200 miles to get it.

plus people lie. I had a pax asking me how much I made. I broke it down and they said the last driver (young girl) told them she made 100K a year. Naturally they were incredulous, I told them she was full of shit. 30% of peoples IQs are under 90, but they wouldn't tell you that.

Undermensch

Heh. Fair enough. It's ok though, good for him. Most bartenders work at one bar... they can't work at all the popular bars only on their popular night... so they get, at most, a night or two a week that is hot. We, on the other hand, are driving people no matter which bar they are or which night of the week it is. We can have a hot night every night of the week.

Except tonight... tonight was dead. Seems to be the case after any holiday.

jonnyplastic

I cant tell you how many bartenders and servers I've picked up that didn't tip a dollar. 9 out of 10 don't tip and dont give me that BS line of Uber says dont tip. Have some human decency and tip. I always tipped 25-30% at a restaurant or bar but after these last few months of driving Uber they aint getting nothing from me anymore. Sorry, what goes around comes around.

wk1102

I cant tell you how many bartenders and servers I've picked up that didn't tip a dollar. 9 out of 10 don't tip and dont give me that BS line of Uber says dont tip. Have some human decency and tip. I always tipped 25-30% at a restaurant or bar but after these last few months of driving Uber they aint getting nothing from me anymore. Sorry, what goes around comes around.
Bartenders, waitresses, hairstylists ... when they dont tip I am insulted. I dont give a damn what uber says they know better. I dropped off two servers from Outback Stealhouse. They were talking about theor $200 plus night each. $0.00 tip.

I cant remember being more pissed off after a ride.

jonnyplastic

Bartenders, waitresses, hairstylists ... when they dont tip I am insulted. I dont give a damn what uber says they know better. I dropped off two servers from Outback Stealhouse. They were talking about theor $200 plus night each. $0.00 tip.

I cant remember being more pissed off after a ride.
I couldn't agree more and I've felt the same exact way. I honestly felt like going to the restaurant or the bar they worked at---requested them as a server---brag about how much money I have---and leave them ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AS A TIP.