SOP For Leave On Doorstep Instructions

Rickos69

Last night, I had a "Leave Outside Door" in an apartment building.
The delivery instructions also said to get extra ketchup, but that is beside the point.
So, here is what I did.
1. Screenshot instructions
2. Sent text message that food is outside door.
3. Screenshot my text.
4. Beautiful picture of food on floor outside door with apartment number showing.
5. Phone call to Uber support

She verified that the instructions do indeed state to leave outside door.
She documented my information of pictures, etc.
When all was said and done, she informed me that Standard Operating Procedure for deliveries is:

If the customer is not at the delivery location when you arrive, you attempt to contact them, make Uber aware, start timer, and if no show, dispose of food.
We do not leave food on doorsteps or outside apartment doors.

Anyone else heard this?

Have a nice day

Last edited:

ThanksUber

If the customer is not at the delivery location when you arrive, you attempt to contact them, make Uber aware, start timer, and if no show, dispose of food.
We do not leave food on doorsteps or outside apartment doors.

It's the same thing Uber support told me when the customer had the wrong address.

Go to the address the customer put into the app start the timer and if no show dispose of the food.
Uber will not pay you for the extra distance and time the delivery may take you.

This may be a new policy at Uber.

BunnyK

It's the same thing Uber support told me when the customer had the wrong address.

Go to the address the customer put into the app start the timer and if no show dispose of the food.
Uber will not pay you for the extra distance and time the delivery may take you.

This may be a new policy at Uber.
Saturday evening I did a delivery to a business that was closed and the customer said he input the wrong address and was nearly 20 miles away! I told him I would call support. They asked me to make the delivery, and they would adjust the rate. After I made the drop off I had the fare adjusted and made 17 dollars for the trip from Uber (plus around $24 in tips from the customer).

Support never said anything about the timer.

Rickos69

Saturday evening I did a delivery to a business that was closed and the customer said he input the wrong address and was nearly 20 miles away! I told him I would call support. They asked me to make the delivery, and they would adjust the rate. After I made the drop off I had the fare adjusted and made 17 dollars for the trip from Uber (plus around $24 in tips from the customer).

Support never said anything about the timer.
When there is a change of address, I always call support and they always ask me if I would be willing to deliver the food to the new address.
Be careful when speaking with them. Make sure they adjust the distance. Most of the time, if I don't nag them, all I get is the extra time, which I would get even if I didn't call them.
What ThanksUber probably means is that the customer must authorize Uber, not you the driver, to deliver to the new address and pay for the time and distance from the old address to the new. You don't have to do it. You can just start the timer at the original address, dispose of the food, and get paid.

BunnyK

When there is a change of address, I always call support and they always ask me if I would be willing to deliver the food to the new address.
Be careful when speaking with them. Make sure they adjust the distance. Most of the time, if I don't nag them, all I get is the extra time, which I would get even if I didn't call them.
What ThanksUber probably means is that the customer must authorize Uber, not you the driver, to deliver to the new address and pay for the time and distance from the old address to the new. You don't have to do it. You can just start the timer at the original address, dispose of the food, and get paid.
Indeed. I made it clear that the distance should count on both legs. They burned me once on that before by not including the first leg.

ThanksUber

I have had 2 of these address changes in this last week where I have called support to have them change the address. Both times I have been told to go to the old address and start the timer and if the customer doesn't show dispose of the food.

Rickos69 is probly right where Uber is requiring the customer to call Uber to make the change not the driver. Uber was very clear they would not pay for the extra distance or time for these delivery.

This is something new with Uber, before last week Uber support would adjust the trips and payouts. Now they don't.

AtomicBlonde

I have several regular customers who always ask me to leave the food at the door. I have never contacted support about it, so I don't know what they would say about it. I've also never had a problem because of it.

I screenshot either the delivery instructions saying to leave at the door, or the messages the customer sent me. I've taken pictures of the food at the door, but since I work mainly at night I often can't really get a shot with the house number in the shot along with the food and have it all visible and not too dark. I'm not sure how that proves anything anyway. My GPS log should show that I actually went to the customer's address.

One is a guy who always orders as he's coming home from work, but never gets the timing right and I'm always going to beat him there. Another is a woman who I guess has some kind of social anxiety or agoraphobia or something, because she is clearly at home when I get there but wants the food left on the chair outside her door. I text her that it's there and she immediately texts back "thanks so much!" but I have never actually seen her.

Especially in the second case, I would feel really bad about being a hardass and taking the food as a no-show. I get enough orders from her that it may be the main way she gets food.