• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Something new..."Long Trip".

Terri Lee

At least it was new to me.
While responding to a ping today, a fleeting message on the screen, "Long Trip". I think it said more than that but it vanished before I could read it.
And...it was a long trip, so I was happy.

TeeQ

Is the long trip based on just the one way trip to drop off the pax?

I live pretty close to NYC. I’m tired of getting pings to go into the city and have to dead head it back. I think if Uber is sending a driver into an area where they have a good amount of dead mileage due to restrictions on return pickups they should freakin say it.

Alison Chains

Long Trip is based on estimated trip time, not distance or destination. In my market that's guaranteed to be a fair distance outside the metro area but in others it could just be the other side of town.

It would be far more useful if I knew which direction the 45+ was in. There's a major difference between a trip into Chicagoland with a guaranteed huge deadhead and a local airport run which I can still partly DF my way out of if the queue is full. I'd settle for "out of home area" and "out of state" instead of an arbitrary cutoff.

Coachman

Long trip in DFW just means 45+ minutes. That could include a rush hour trip that's not necessarily long mileage. I've had at least two of these that turned out to be somewhat less than 45 minutes but they were still good trips.

JimKE

It would be far more useful if I knew which direction the 45+ was in.
Yep, I've been saying that since they introduced "Long Trip." I can understand not wanting to give us the actual destination, but just a general direction of travel (45 Minutes NW) would be very helpful and would lead to more Long Trip acceptances. Time alone tells you nothing useful.

Long Trip is a good idea half-executed.

backcountryrez

This "long trip" is my white whale. Only once did I receive a 50+ mile trip request and it just happened to go in the same direction as I was traveling.

Elation is bittersweet, though. Once I got home I was penalized with sparse millenial drunk and/or min fare rides.

Tihstae

This "long trip" is my white whale. Only once did I receive a 50+ mile trip request and it just happened to go in the same direction as I was traveling.

Elation is bittersweet, though. Once I got home I was penalized with sparse millenial drunk and/or min fare rides.
Seems to happen a lot with me. If I get a long trip, I get a lot of minimum fare rides that day as well. But that may just be that the rides are different where I end up after the long trip. My home area is seldom a minimum fare ride as I am in a pretty disperse area.

unPat

04150AA7-8330-4E29-B4B1-3874437BEA3A.jpeg
That thing is completely useless. It could be 45 minutes or 45 hours. If Uber doesn’t allow trips longer than 4 hours they should not allow passengers to order. I told him to take the greyhound or Amtrak.

backcountryrez

That thing is completely useless. It could be 45 minutes or 45 hours. If Uber doesn’t allow trips longer than 4 hours they should not allow passengers to order. I told him to take the greyhound or Amtrak.
Where was this guy coming from that it would take almost 6 days to get there?

Squirming Like A Toad

If someone books an 11 hour trip offer to take him as far as you're willing to go and then relay him to another driver. If you're going through a zone with lower rates you can sell the idea that way. You can roll right up on another driver, end the ride and have the passenger ping him, save the other guy some work.