Someone dropped off an Uber pax family in Estes Park...

Urban Uber

A lady Uber driver in Longmont took a request and trip was to Estes Park.... great ride.. talked a lot...knew this was a day trip to Estes.... BUT never told the family from MN that there was NO way to get a return ride on Uber/Lyft back to Longmont. Driver must have dead headed back to longmont so they knew the family was going to be coming back to their hotel at end of day... NOT... no drivers in Estes. Very poor internet service.. what was the driver thinking... maybe make a deal and come back later for a private trip? At least tell the family they would have to find a way back... through some desperate phone calls someone referred them to ME and i left at 4pm to pick them up and bring them back to Longmont. Private trip for $100+ and now i get to take them to the airport Friday afternoon.... What was the original driver thinking...

Daisey77

Perhaps she didn't know neither Uber or Lyft operated in Estes Park. I honestly don't know every city they operate in. As for poor internet service, how are we supposed to know where good internet service is? LoL was She an Uber black driver? If not technically she can't do private rides. If she was a newer driver, that whole aspect probably didn't even cross her mind

Archie Nelson

A lady Uber driver in Longmont took a request and trip was to Estes Park.... great ride.. talked a lot...knew this was a day trip to Estes.... BUT never told the family from MN that there was NO way to get a return ride on Uber/Lyft back to Longmont. Driver must have dead headed back to longmont so they knew the family was going to be coming back to their hotel at end of day... NOT... no drivers in Estes. Very poor internet service.. what was the driver thinking... maybe make a deal and come back later for a private trip? At least tell the family they would have to find a way back... through some desperate phone calls someone referred them to ME and i left at 4pm to pick them up and bring them back to Longmont. Private trip for $100+ and now i get to take them to the airport Friday afternoon.... What was the original driver thinking...

That is beyond the rudest thing I agree with you wtf

Perhaps she didn't know neither Uber or Lyft operated in Estes Park. I honestly don't know every city they operate in. As for poor internet service, how are we supposed to know where good internet service is? LoL was She an Uber black driver? If not technically she can't do private rides. If she was a newer driver, that whole aspect probably didn't even cross her mind

While I agree with these points at what time do you not ask questions about like that. Because if I don't know if my PAX can get out i always offer.

KevRyde

I've driven one XL and one Plus from DIA to Estes Park. I had data service and was able to close out both rides at each of two drop off points. I deadheaded to Boulder and then home to the trendy Belmar area of Lakewood. It never occurred to me that either rider might not be able to get an Uber or Lyft for the ride back. Why would it? Absolutely not my problem. Don't be so judgey.

Last edited:

Daisey77

That is beyond the rudest thing I agree with you wtf
While I agree with these points at what time do you not ask questions about like that. Because if I don't know if my PAX can get out i always offer.

How would we know they couldn't get out? I sure as hell don't know where internet has good service and I wouldn't have necessarily thought Uber and Lyft didn't operate in Estes Park. Did all of the drivers working the day we won the Super Bowl, offer to go back downtown and get their passengers, when dropping them off, because they were going to shut downtown down? Come on. I mean yes, it's a courteous gesture but at the same time we don't know where internet service is good and we don't know every single place Uber and Lyft operate necessarily. some of us may know every single city or town, but not everyone does. So for another driver to actually post a thread and say, "what were you thinking", is a little unreasonable. If it was just a thread . . . so just FYI guys Uber and Lyft don't operate in Estes Park . you may want to think about this when you drop passengers off outside the city. I went and grabbed them made great money but just want to give her a heads up... That's different. I'm not sure if OP was indicating that someone should have stayed up there and waited for them or to deadhead home and then back up there, but that's even worse. Especially if it was an x driver.

Last edited:

KevRyde

Hope I never get shamed here.
Buzz me if you ever do. As Urban Uber can attest - mainly because he requires one on occasion - I can be quick to deliver a good verbal smackdown.
FYI guys Uber and Lyft don't operate in Estes Park.
Actually Uber operates in Estes Park....

upload_2017-9-21_21-11-25.png

...if there are drivers available.

upload_2017-9-21_21-15-25.png

Last edited:

Daisey77

Buzz me if you ever do. As Urban Uber can attest - mainly because he requires one on occasion - I can be quick to deliver a good verbal smackdown.
Actually Uber operates in Estes Park....

View attachment 160463

...if there are drivers available.

View attachment 160464
OMG that's even worse! so now we're supposed to know when other drivers are not going to be in the area, hours from when we drop someone off, to give them ride home? Some people... Can literally go kick rocks

UberDez

It's not Ubers fail and it's not the drivers fail. People need to plan accordingly. I know a bar in Idaho Springs my wife and I like to go visit from time to time. I know the odds of an uber are basically zero so usually we just designated a driver. Next time we're planning on doing Uzurv with a little incentive for someone to drive that way and take us back downtown.

Its the driver or Ubers responsibility to know when and where drivers are going to be.

It probably never crossed the drivers mind, I've told people who have asked about getting uber at certain times and places and have said there's no way to know if a driver will be there or not but the more rural the less likely you're going to get a ride

mattadams

Yeah I dunno... I normally agree with you. I've done two estes trips and each time I have mentioned that they may have a hard time getting back, in each case the person was staying there for an extended period of time so they would figure out another way back. Each time I've stayed online up there for at least a half hour or an hour hoping for some type of return trip, but nothing. Uber is definitely available up there, there just are no drivers who live there who uber regularly, so the chances of not getting a ride back are pretty high. Can't say I blame the original driver for not mentioning it. I'll uber someone to the top of mt. evans if they want, but then they'll really be up the creek when they are 50 miles from the nearest uber... or taxi... lol. Unfortunately people who spend most of their time in big cities assume there will always be an uber available. Even if service is available, doesn't mean theres an uber in the area. I look even in longmont at the map and there are times hours go by without a single driver online. One of the biggest complaints I hear from riders is that there are never any cars available when they want a ride home from the bars... often times they end up having to walk several miles to get home. I feel bad, but I also don't stay online late at night just to help them out, I've got sleep to think about. They need to have a back up plan. A friend/family member to call, etc.

Last edited:

DenverLadee

In the past, when I've dropped off riders in remote areas (Flat Irons Trailhead) Ive told them that the likelihood of an uber driver being close when they're done isnt very high. But if they put their pin close to an uber that they find on the map, and then call the driver & let them know what's going on, & offer to have them start the ride on the way to pick them up, they will probably get a driver.

Urban Uber

In the past, when I've dropped off riders in remote areas (Flat Irons Trailhead) Ive told them that the likelihood of an uber driver being close when they're done isnt very high. But if they put their pin close to an uber that they find on the map, and then call the driver & let them know what's going on, & offer to have them start the ride on the way to pick them up, they will probably get a driver.
Exactly... i think if you want to perform like a taxi driver than you need to drive a taxi... with the phone number and the markings all over the car and the demographics that go with it... but for ME.. driving Uber and being passionate about customer service... i think a driver with hundreds of rides, 4.96 rating driving a Kia Sportage in Longmont should have or should know to say something... it might get you a cash or in app tip at drop off in Estes Park... knowing full well with lots of chatting that driver knew this was a day trip by tourists since pick up was from Courtyard Longmont... just saying. I know i am going / getting the hits from cynics on this forum.. i am just stating my Humble Opinion..

Frontier Guy

I've done this a couple of times, dropped people off at trail heads where the chance of a pickup was remote at best. I've also had a pickup from a trail head.

KevRyde

I am just stating my Humble Opinion..
"Humble Opinion" my ass! You come on here all high and mighty and start a new thread to brag about how you saved the day - OMG major crisis: a couple of tourists get stuck in Estes Park on a summer day and have no way to get back to their hotel in the next town over - and to berate another driver because she didn't assume full responsibility for making sure her riders had a way back to Longmont. It was no more her responsibility to provide that assurance than it is my role or responsibility to inform a rider I drop off at Red Rocks that they may have sketchy data service at best or that they might have to pay two to three times or more to get a ride home.

I've dropped off riders in Estes Park and Blackhawk - both fairly popular tourist destinations throughout the year - as well as a Boy Scout camp in the middle of nowhere near Elbert, CO, and didn't give any thought as to how any of these folks were planning on getting back to DIA. I provide on-demand, point-to-point transportation via a technology matching service created and provided by Uber for rates that are typically less than half of what a rider would pay for a taxi and that's all. My current rating is 4.97 and I drive a vehicle that is much nicer than a KIA Sportage.

It's not like Uber didn't know these riders were requesting a ride to a destination with little or no available service. Perhaps you should instead berate Uber for not building in an advisory message that based on the rider's destination, return service will likely not be available.
i think if you want to perform like a taxi driver than you need to drive a taxi... with the phone number and the markings all over the car and the demographics that go with it
I think if you're going to solicit or offer up private ride service as if you're a livery driver - which you seem to do on a regular basis - then you need to obtain - among other requirements - a PUC permit and affix a decal on your car so that your LL number is clearly visible.

Last edited:

UberDez

KevRyde I think you're on to something with an advisory message in the app , Uber's algorithm knows which areas will be hard to get return rides or not . It would a simple coding change to implement this into the app . I think taking it one step further and offering some sort of option to interest a driver to come pick them up . Kind of what UZURV does with the incentive except that it actually works

Daisey77

While we are on the subject of advisory messages, I've often wondered why they haven't implemented a pop-up box, triggered by "request ride", asking if all people in the party are over the age of 18. Maybe it's not necessary but it seems simple enough. Plus it would shift 100% of the responsibility back to the account holder, while removing us from the equation and the clear as mud policy. #randomthought#

MichaelMax

I like all of the above ideas and would like to add , "If you can not find a driver to accept your request, if you agree, we can try to entice our closest drivers by paying them for the time and mileage to come to pick you up, in addition to normal ride fares".
Or adding a surge may entice drivers also.
I never accept more than 10 minutes away unless a surge or at least a "Select" ride.

I'd alsolike to ask Urban Uber, would you warn your riders before the trip or after you got them to Estes?

While we are on the subject of advisory messages, I've often wondered why they haven't implemented a pop-up box, triggered by "request ride", asking if all people in the party are over the age of 18. Maybe it's not necessary but it seems simple enough. Plus it would shift 100% of the responsibility back to the account holder, while removing us from the equation and the clear as mud policy. #randomthought#

That reminds me, I have not gotten a request to take kids to school since it was on the news that Uber/ Lyft riders must be at least 18. Might be a coincidence, but I hope not. Not the worst that could happen, but I don't like sitting in line with all them soccer moms.

The warnings could go on and on. I get a few Moms/ Dads with kids that should be in "car Seats" . I don't like being the "Ice man" when Mom says , oh please, it would be so hard to carry the child and a car seat through the stor she is going to.
Not to mention, Uber wont stand behind us and give us a deserved cancelation fee even is we were able to tell them the circumstances.

Last edited:

mattadams

I like the idea of mentioning paying driver for their time to come out. I get a lot of requests from lyons and mead which are each at least 20-25 minutes away, but without being able to know anything about the ride (mainly, is it a long ride a do they just want to go down the street...) I never accept them. If there was a way for the passengers to say they'd kick in a few bucks for me to spend the time and gas to get out there, I'd be much more likely to take the ride.