Some UberTaxi questions

Stevie The magic Unicorn

(YES uber platform for taxis)

Well.. it was originally supposed to come to Orlando before new years eve.

Friday it's finally here.

So...

99.999999999% of the time someone has a taxi question in Orlando I inevitably get asked.

But i don't have ANY answers about UberTaxi...
My questions.

1. What cut is Uber taking on your uberTaxi fares?
2. Destination filter? does it or does it not exist?
3. Tips? Just kidding, The answer is no. Or is it?
4. Taking lower level fares (IE uberX fares)
4A. Are you getting more than the regular uberX drivers for X fares? (IE just losing the service fee)
5. Anything else majorly different you can think of?

Another Uber Driver

1. Uber takes nothing from the driver in the Capital of Your Nation. It charges the user a two dollar booking fee. In the Capital of Your Nation, this is no big deal, as it has cost extra to call a cab since the 1920s. The current charge for calling a cab in the Capital of Your Nation is, you guessed it, two dollars. The Regulations currently do not allow the driver to charge the call fee if he accepts an electronic summons from an application. He can charge it if he accepts it from his company's call assignment system*, The provider of an application for taxi service can charge a fee. The bottom line is that Uber gets the two dollar call fee, not the driver. The driver gets his full meter.

2. It does exist.

3. When Uber Taxi launched, it had a default setting of a twenty per-cent tip. That is gone. Once Uber introduced platform wide tipping, it does it on Taxi the same as the others: the customer must tip when he rates the driver. This has cut severely into the tips on Uber Taxi in the Capital of Your Nation. Despite this, you do get more tips on Taxi than X.

4. In the Capital of Your Nation, you can not accept the X customers. Uber did try a one day experiment with it. They offered us a VERY NICE guarantee. There was an acceptance rate tied to it, but, given the guarantee, the acceptance rate was REALLY no problem. The major problem with it was that Uber failed to address several matters with the Regulators, most notably the question of high-flagging. In the Capital of Your Nation, high-flagging carries a five hundred dollar fine.

4a.-We can not currently accept X requests.

5. The users here like it for gaming the surge. Many people here still use cabs, so they have a good idea what the fares should be. They compare their upfront Uber/Lyft quote, and, if it is close to or more than the cab fare, they pick Uber Taxi. Many people here will open the application and see what is closest: Black, Taxi or X and pick that one. There are many people here who do not like X because the drivers do not know where they are going. Now that all of the unlicenced cab drivers are driving UberX, the legitimate guys are all that is left. We know where we are going. Many of the ladies do not feel safe in X.

Uber Taxi, in the Capital of Your Nation, at least, pays every day. There is no need for the "cash out/Instapay" of whatever Uber calls it and for which it collects a fee. On Taxi, you get paid every day, with no fee, as long as the banks are open. The usual result of this is that you get paid on Monday for Friday, Saturday, Sunday and you get paid the next day for the other days. If there is a holiday and the banks are closed, you get a one day delay out of that, as well.

If they have launched it in Orlando, I would tell the drivers to use it.

The driver keys in the meter fare at the end of the trip. Yes, there have been cases where the driver has jacked up the fare. Uber's usual response is de-activation; no questions asked.

There have been times, especially on airport trips, where the customer runs his card because he forgot that he used Uber Taxi to get his cab. This usually happens when the driver gets out to get the suitcases out of the trunk. You come back and see that your meter has printed a receipt. I that happens, I simply key in three zeroes on the fare. Uber sends an e-Mail for "too low fare". I reply with an explanation of what happened. That has put an end to it every time.

Conversely, there are times where the customer forgets that he did NOT summon the cab through Uber and starts to get out without paying.

One thing that Uber Taxi lacks that Curb, Flywheel, Hail-O/MyTaxi have is the ability to pay a cab that you hailed on the street through the application. I have Curb and Uber Taxi. If a Curb user summons my taxi, he can pay through the application or in-car. If a Curb user hails my taxi, he can pay in-car or through the application. There is a code on my meter that he enters into the Pair-and Pay page on the Curb application. Hail-O/MyTaxi and Flywheel have similar. as do Arro and Way2Ride (the last two are available only in New York City). Uber Taxi lacks that.

Uber Taxi is available in:

US:

Boston
Washington
Chicago
Portland, Oregon
Honolulu

and NOW-----------ORLANDO, FLORIDA!

CANADA:

Montréal

AUSTRALIA:

Sydney

ISRAEL:

Jerusalem
Tel-Aviv and Haifa Harbour

GERMANY::

Berlin

KOREA:

Inchon
Seoul

*Please do take note that I do not refer to this current electronic GPS/Satellite/digital/ computer based call assignment as "dispatch". Dispatch actually requires a human being who knows what he is doing and looks out for the drivers. A computer program can not do that.

OrlUberOffDriver

1. Uber takes nothing from the driver in the Capital of Your Nation. It charges the user a two dollar booking fee. In the Capital of Your Nation, this is no big deal, as it has cost extra to call a cab since the 1920s. The current charge for calling a cab in the Capital of Your Nation is, you guessed it, two dollars. The Regulations currently do not allow the driver to charge the call fee if he accepts an electronic summons from an application. He can charge it if he accepts it from his company's call assignment system*, The provider of an application for taxi service can charge a fee. The bottom line is that Uber gets the two dollar call fee, not the driver. The driver gets his full meter.

2. It does exist.

3. When Uber Taxi launched, it had a default setting of a twenty per-cent tip. That is gone. Once Uber introduced platform wide tipping, it does it on Taxi the same as the others: the customer must tip when he rates the driver. This has cut severely into the tips on Uber Taxi in the Capital of Your Nation. Despite this, you do get more tips on Taxi than X.

4. In the Capital of Your Nation, you can not accept the X customers. Uber did try a one day experiment with it. They offered us a VERY NICE guarantee. There was an acceptance rate tied to it, but, given the guarantee, the acceptance rate was REALLY no problem. The major problem with it was that Uber failed to address several matters with the Regulators, most notably the question of high-flagging. In the Capital of Your Nation, high-flagging carries a five hundred dollar fine.

4a.-We can not currently accept X requests.

5. The users here like it for gaming the surge. Many people here still use cabs, so they have a good idea what the fares should be. They compare their upfront Uber/Lyft quote, and, if it is close to or more than the cab fare, they pick Uber Taxi. Many people here will open the application and see what is closest: Black, Taxi or X and pick that one. There are many people here who do not like X because the drivers do not know where they are going. Now that all of the unlicenced cab drivers are driving UberX, the legitimate guys are all that is left. We know where we are going. Many of the ladies do not feel safe in X.

Uber Taxi, in the Capital of Your Nation, at least, pays every day. There is no need for the "cash out/Instapay" of whatever Uber calls it and for which it collects a fee. On Taxi, you get paid every day, with no fee, as long as the banks are open. The usual result of this is that you get paid on Monday for Friday, Saturday, Sunday and you get paid the next day for the other days. If there is a holiday and the banks are closed, you get a one day delay out of that, as well.

If they have launched it in Orlando, I would tell the drivers to use it.

The driver keys in the meter fare at the end of the trip. Yes, there have been cases where the driver has jacked up the fare. Uber's usual response is de-activation; no questions asked.

There have been times, especially on airport trips, where the customer runs his card because he forgot that he used Uber Taxi to get his cab. This usually happens when the driver gets out to get the suitcases out of the trunk. You come back and see that your meter has printed a receipt. I that happens, I simply key in three zeroes on the fare. Uber sends an e-Mail for "too low fare". I reply with an explanation of what happened. That has put an end to it every time.

Conversely, there are times where the customer forgets that he did NOT summon the cab through Uber and starts to get out without paying.

One thing that Uber Taxi lacks that Curb, Flywheel, Hail-O/MyTaxi have is the ability to pay a cab that you hailed on the street through the application. I have Curb and Uber Taxi. If a Curb user summons my taxi, he can pay through the application or in-car. If a Curb user hails my taxi, he can pay in-car or through the application. There is a code on my meter that he enters into the Pair-and Pay page on the Curb application. Hail-O/MyTaxi and Flywheel have similar. as do Arro and Way2Ride (the last two are available only in New York City). Uber Taxi lacks that.

Uber Taxi is available in:

US:

Boston
Washington
Chicago
Portland, Oregon
Honolulu

and NOW-----------ORLANDO, FLORIDA!

CANADA:

Montréal

AUSTRALIA:

Sydney

ISRAEL:

Jerusalem
Tel-Aviv and Haifa Harbour

GERMANY::

Berlin

KOREA:

Inchon
Seoul

*Please do take note that I do not refer to this current electronic GPS/Satellite/digital/ computer based call assignment as "dispatch". Dispatch actually requires a human being who knows what he is doing and looks out for the drivers. A computer program can not do that.
So, let me understand, are you a Taxi driver or are you an Uber driver. If you are a taxi driver are you then also on the Uber platform.
One thing that must be made clear is that us Uber driver will NOT have the option of UberTaxi. This in Orlando is only a marriage between a prominent Taxi service and Uber.
I believe that the riders app will have the option to request an UberTaxi.
In my opinion this is Uber last breath to save this market from LYFT which is gaining market share very rapidly here in Orlando.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I believe that the riders app will have the option to request an UberTaxi.
In my opinion this is Uber last breath to save this market from LYFT which is gaining market share very rapidly here in Orlando.
Yes, and i agree with this opinion.
Post automatically merged:

There's already times that we hear

"I would have taken uber but"

The surge was too high
There weren't any cars available
Your right *here*
Ect.

So i believe that people will be using ubertaxi here for the same reasons as you see.

As far as OUR pay i was told that the funds go to the cab company into our company accounts (the cab company has first "dibs" to until we pay for our rental and tolls (and theoretically gas but i use a cash back CC for buying gas)

Thanks for the heads up on the fact that customers might pay on the cabs point of sale terminal instead of through the app like they are supposed to. I'm guessing there's also a possibility of being handed cash and the same result?

Last edited:

Another Uber Driver

So, let me understand, are you a Taxi driver or are you an Uber driver.
In reality, I do both. I have Uber Taxi for the cab. I drive UberX, as well, but I have a different car for it. I have two cars that I use to earn money: one is a taxicab, one is the UberX/Lyft car. If I am driving the cab that day, I log on to Uber Taxi. If I am driving the UberX/Lyft car, I log onto the UberX and Lyft. I have one e-Mail address for the Uber Taxi account and one for the UberX account. If I am driving the cab that day, I get requests only from customers who have chosen Uber Taxi. If I am driving the UberX/Lyft car that day, I get requests only from customers who have chosen UberX.

If you are a taxi driver are you then also on the Uber platform.
Yes; I am on the Uber platform, but, if I am driving the cab, the customer must actually choose Uber Taxi in order for me (or another taxicab driver) to receive his request.

There are occasional exceptions to this, or, so I have gathered from conversations with some of my customers that I got off Uber Taxi level. It seems that during periods of really high surges on X, Uber will slip me an X request that it can not cover. In this market, I can see the surges on X when logged into Taxi. Every one of these suspected slips has been in a high surge zone where the surge has hit the point that X is more than a cab. As a result, Uber can pay me what the meter reads and still get a little for itself while the customer is happy because he got his ride.

As a rule, though, in order for a customer to get a real, licenced, checked-out-by-the-police, knows-where-it-is-going taxicab, he must request Uber Taxi. Once the service actually launches down there, what you do is open the passenger version of the application. If you have an android, there is a bar that you move to see the various levels of Uber that are available: Black, Taxi, WAV, Assist, X, Pool. If you have an I-Telephone, there is something that reads "Swipe for more choices". You keep swiping/moving until you get to Taxi, if that is what you want.

One thing that must be made clear is that us Uber driver will NOT have the option of UberTaxi.

This is correct. As an X driver, you will not receive Uber Taxi requests. The customer is choosing Uber Taxi because he wants a taxicab, for whatever his reasons. There are still some markets where large numbers of people still use taxicabs. The Capital of Your Nation is one. From what @Stevie The magic Unicorn has posted over time, it appears that Orlando, Florida is another such market.

Uber wants everyone's money, including that of cab users, so, it offers taxicabs in markets where people are likely to use one. It does not cost them that much extra money, as the programming for assigning the requests already is there. You simply add a filter for "taxicab" and set up the thing so that the driver can key in the rate. You pay the labour cost for that one time. After that, you can revise the program all that you will, and that feature still is there.

This in Orlando is only a marriage between a prominent Taxi service and Uber.
In most markets, Uber tends to work with individual drivers rather than companies, even in markets where it is mostly rental drivers. It works with individual drivers in the Capital of Your Nation. It works with individual drivers in Boston, Chicago, Washington, Honolulu and Montréal. Several of the Portland, Oregon posters have informed me that it working with one company there. I am not sure what it does overseas. Uber might be working only with one cab company in Orlando.

The other taxi specific applications available in this country tend to work with companies. I get Curb through my company. I am an owner-operator, but, as I am affiliated with a company and use its call assignment service, I get the Curb requests through that call assignment service. My company also processes my credit card transactions. Thus, when a Curb user hails my cab, he can use the "Pair and Pay" feature that allows him to pay through the Curb application. On the customer screen, there is a "Pair and Pay" code specific to me that shows. The customer keys in the code and my company pays me.

Arro, Way2Ride and Flywheel work with companies. When Hail-O and MyTaxi were in North America, they worked with individual drivers. Those two exited North America, but, they are still in Europe and Asia,

I believe that the riders app will have the option to request an UberTaxi
........Correctamundo! ....................as I explained supra..............

It could be that, or it could simply be that Uber knows that people in Orlando are still using cabs so it wants their money, as well. In Boston, Chicago, Washington and Montréal, people are still using cabs.

In some places, such as Montréal, there have been rumours that Uber offers taxis only because the regulators demanded this as a price for allowing X. What is funny is that for some time, the only Uber that CUT Montréal would allow there was Uber Taxi. It took some pressure from Ottawa to get CUT Montréal to allow X and Black. In Berlin and Israel, the only Uber permitted is Taxi. We got Taxi in the Capital of Your Nation before we got X; about one year before we got X. Uber launched Taxi here about four months after Black was "discovered" by the Regulators. Rumour has it that Black was actually operating for four to ten months before the Regulators "discovered" it, here.

Black was the first Uber that came here (and, indeed, was the first Uber that began operations). At the time (November, 2011-March, 2012, depending on whom you ask), the cab here did not accept cards. Some of use did (I was one), but the overwhelming majority did not. People were paying seven times the cab fare (when Black was surging) JUST TO AVOID HAVING TO PAY CASH. Uber launched Taxi in February, 2013, here. People were SO happy that they did not have to pay jacked up limousine rates just to avoid using cash. Once more, they could pay cab rates and not need cash. It took until October, 2013, for the Regulators to compel credit card acceptance by cabs, here. In reality, I am not sure that they can do that, but, that is the subject of another post.

OrlUberOffDriver

In reality, I do both. I have Uber Taxi for the cab. I drive UberX, as well, but I have a different car for it. I have two cars that I use to earn money: one is a taxicab, one is the UberX/Lyft car. If I am driving the cab that day, I log on to Uber Taxi. If I am driving the UberX/Lyft car, I log onto the UberX and Lyft. I have one e-Mail address for the Uber Taxi account and one for the UberX account. If I am driving the cab that day, I get requests only from customers who have chosen Uber Taxi. If I am driving the UberX/Lyft car that day, I get requests only from customers who have chosen UberX.

Yes; I am on the Uber platform, but, if I am driving the cab, the customer must actually choose Uber Taxi in order for me (or another taxicab driver) to receive his request.

There are occasional exceptions to this, or, so I have gathered from conversations with some of my customers that I got off Uber Taxi level. It seems that during periods of really high surges on X, Uber will slip me an X request that it can not cover. In this market, I can see the surges on X when logged into Taxi. Every one of these suspected slips has been in a high surge zone where the surge has hit the point that X is more than a cab. As a result, Uber can pay me what the meter reads and still get a little for itself while the customer is happy because he got his ride.

As a rule, though, in order for a customer to get a real, licenced, checked-out-by-the-police, knows-where-it-is-going taxicab, he must request Uber Taxi. Once the service actually launches down there, what you do is open the passenger version of the application. If you have an android, there is a bar that you move to see the various levels of Uber that are available: Black, Taxi, WAV, Assist, X, Pool. If you have an I-Telephone, there is something that reads "Swipe for more choices". You keep swiping/moving until you get to Taxi, if that is what you want.

This is correct. As an X driver, you will not receive Uber Taxi requests. The customer is choosing Uber Taxi because he wants a taxicab, for whatever his reasons. There are still some markets where large numbers of people still use taxicabs. The Capital of Your Nation is one. From what @Stevie The magic Unicorn has posted over time, it appears that Orlando, Florida is another such market.

Uber wants everyone's money, including that of cab users, so, it offers taxicabs in markets where people are likely to use one. It does not cost them that much extra money, as the programming for assigning the requests already is there. You simply add a filter for "taxicab" and set up the thing so that the driver can key in the rate. You pay the labour cost for that one time. After that, you can revise the program all that you will, and that feature still is there.

In most markets, Uber tends to work with individual drivers rather than companies, even in markets where it is mostly rental drivers. It works with individual drivers in the Capital of Your Nation. It works with individual drivers in Boston, Chicago, Washington, Honolulu and Montréal. Several of the Portland, Oregon posters have informed me that it working with one company there. I am not sure what it does overseas. Uber might be working only with one cab company in Orlando.

The other taxi specific applications available in this country tend to work with companies. I get Curb through my company. I am an owner-operator, but, as I am affiliated with a company and use its call assignment service, I get the Curb requests through that call assignment service. My company also processes my credit card transactions. Thus, when a Curb user hails my cab, he can use the "Pair and Pay" feature that allows him to pay through the Curb application. On the customer screen, there is a "Pair and Pay" code specific to me that shows. The customer keys in the code and my company pays me.

Arro, Way2Ride and Flywheel work with companies. When Hail-O and MyTaxi were in North America, they worked with individual drivers. Those two exited North America, but, they are still in Europe and Asia,

........Correctamundo! ....................as I explained supra..............

It could be that, or it could simply be that Uber knows that people in Orlando are still using cabs so it wants their money, as well. In Boston, Chicago, Washington and Montréal, people are still using cabs.

In some places, such as Montréal, there have been rumours that Uber offers taxis only because the regulators demanded this as a price for allowing X. What is funny is that for some time, the only Uber that CUT Montréal would allow there was Uber Taxi. It took some pressure from Ottawa to get CUT Montréal to allow X and Black. In Berlin and Israel, the only Uber permitted is Taxi. We got Taxi in the Capital of Your Nation before we got X; about one year before we got X. Uber launched Taxi here about four months after Black was "discovered" by the Regulators. Rumour has it that Black was actually operating for four to ten months before the Regulators "discovered" it, here.

Black was the first Uber that came here (and, indeed, was the first Uber that began operations). At the time (November, 2011-March, 2012, depending on whom you ask), the cab here did not accept cards. Some of use did (I was one), but the overwhelming majority did not. People were paying seven times the cab fare (when Black was surging) JUST TO AVOID HAVING TO PAY CASH. Uber launched Taxi in February, 2013, here. People were SO happy that they did not have to pay jacked up limousine rates just to avoid using cash. Once more, they could pay cab rates and not need cash. It took until October, 2013, for the Regulators to compel credit card acceptance by cabs, here. In reality, I am not sure that they can do that, but, that is the subject of another post.
Good stuff!
One thing for sure, this Orlando UberTaxi will be a surge killer.
I really feel that Uber is on its last breath here in Orlando and sooner than later it will be a lyft dominated market.