1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Some Uber Drivers Sleep In Their Cars So They Can Work In Expensive Cities

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by atthehop, Jan 23, 2017.

1. atthehop

atthehop

If you want to be successful at driving for Uber, Lyft or some similar service, it’s important to not only put in a lot of hours behind the wheel, but to do so in a city where you’re likely to also have a passenger in the backseat. Problem is, dense urban areas where residents have disposable income may be out of your price range. Some drivers are getting around this by spending their brief downtime sleeping in their cars.

Bloomberg Technology talked to one Uber driver who commutes from Sacramento to San Francisco, about 90 miles, and then gathers with other drivers with similar commutes to sleep in the parking lot of a Safeway. He puts in a 70-hour week, then goes home to his wife, kids, and actual bed.

Another driver lives alone in Indiana, but sleeps in his car in the parking lot of a Chicago 7-Eleven. He started putting in more hours when he leased a newer car from Uber. When he began driving, he made around $40 an hour, but regular fare drops mean that he has to sleep in his car to make his lease payments so he can have a car to work.

READ MORE: 5 Things You Should Know About Uber’s Xchange Leasing Program & Its Costs

Last week’s settlement between Uber and the Federal Trade Commission would surely sound familiar to that driver: the transportation network company settled charges that it advertised hourly pay rates in different cities that were technically possible, but that only 10% of drivers are able to achieve.

Not all drivers bed down in their cars. Some stay in hostels, which offer the benefits of an actual bed and a shower. A clerk at a Travelodge motel near San Francisco’s airport estimated that drivers comprise about one-third of the guests

Undermensch and NJWanderer like this.
  2. Stan07

Stan07

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Undermensch and SibeRescueBrian like this.
  3. I second the shoutout. That's exactly the stuff people do for NJ Shore rate. At the NJ Shore, the "expensive" rate (not the expensive city) draws in the commuter ants and even some camping ants.

On Wildwood's Irish and Classic Car Weekend, I rode with a kid who drove up from Virginia for the weekend and slept in his car, doing Lyft only (not Uber) at NJ Shore rate the whole time. He told me Uber support promised him in writing he could work in NJ, only to find out otherwise when he got here. My return driver commuted from Philly to Wildwood.

I could have made a lot of money that weekend but chose to take off and spend it with family.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  4. Uber-licious

Uber-licious

Driving:
    UberX
    I've seen NY TLCs sleeping in their cars on the Shore in the mornings during the summer

Undermensch likes this.
  5. easteuropeboy

easteuropeboy

Driving:
    UberX
    Not just sleep , they also doing babies in the cars

6. The only time I can advocate sleeping in your car is when it's a weekend with a ridiculous amount of money to be made, like Memorial Day or July 4.

I'm a part timer, so the idea of killing yourself like this for Uber is stupid.

Uber00, Undermensch and JoeyA like this.
  7. Lepke

Lepke

Driving:
    UberXL
    This may be news the most of you folks but I have been pointing this out for quite a while. Last year after the price cut there were heated arguments with the "hobbyist " drivers who insisted that Uber and Lyft only meant this to be a part-time job.
    I have been arguing online with " beer money" drivers that drivers who need this to survive are practically living in their cars. This was also reported on Vice news several weeks ago.

This type of thing was going on before app-based dispatch ever existed. Back in my radio group days I knew drivers who lived in the Poconos and would live in their car for most of the week only the drive home on the weekends. There was very little work on the weekend in radio groups as it was all corporate voucher work. Even in my car service days I knew a guy who lived in southern Vermont but couldn't find decent work there so he would commute to Brooklyn and drive car service and headed back home for one week every month.
    So it is no surprise to me that there are Uber drivers living in their cars because I have met Uber SUV drivers who have been doing that for the past 2 years.

In searching my memory banks and looking back I remember all the drivers who would be sleeping in their cars on South Street and Pike Street under the FDR. There were a lot of spots in lower Manhattan where you could find drivers practically living in their cars.
    I would not be surprised if that is still going on today.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  8. JoeyA

JoeyA

Driving:
    UberXL
    This saddens me, not a little, a lot. Life should not be this tough for people. But then again, is it because of necessity, or because of greed? My firm uses a corporate car account, and I remember years ago when we were much busier there was a well known driver that drove around the clock. I was in the car one night, late, and I noticed he was dozing off. I was furious. The dangers of not sleeping, or even sleeping in your car, merit serious concern. Sleeping/resting in your car, is not quality sleep/rest, and in my opinion, puts the driver and the passenger in potential danger. Someone who is not well rested cannot be expected to respond to situations/inclement weather, the same way as someone who is well rested, refreshed, and feeling good. You cannot feel good when you sleep in your car. Again, my question is whether it's necessity or greed. Some people see the potential to make money, good money, and go crazy, get drastic, and just don't want to stop.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  9. Lepke

Lepke

Driving:
    UberXL
    None of these guys were getting rich on this so I wouldn't call it greed.
    A lot of them were new immigrants from the Soviet Union who needed to make a life for their families.
    They worked their asses off so that their children could have it better than they had it. A family needs a roof over their head and food in their bellies but that is not all a family needs to make it in the United States.
    These were hard-working and not greedy men.

Stan07 and Undermensch like this.
  10. JoeyA

JoeyA

Driving:
    UberXL
    Gotcha, and I know about that era. But I also know that greed makes people do things, as well. While I agree, immigrants have struggled and quite often succeeded in the ventures, to which I tip my hat to them, you always have the greed factor. I'm sure you'd agree.

11. Lepke

Lepke

Driving:
    UberXL
    It's not enough money for it to be about greed.
    We are talking about the difference of earning $40,000 a year working full-time or living in your car and making $60,000 a year if you are lucky. It's not greed it's need.
    You want your children to have the advantages that their friends have.
    Some of these drivers are sleeping in their cars just to make ends meet. Others can manage to survive working regular full-time which in this industry is 12 hours a day 6 days a week but they work harder and longer so that a family can have the extras that are above survival but are nonetheless needed in our society for happiness.

NJWanderer and Stan07 like this.
  12. Stan07

Stan07

You are right. I parked my car last Saturday night at 13th St between 1st & A, and when i got back at 6am i saw multiple sleeping Camries with running engines!

13. Stan07

Stan07

They are not doing babies, they are killing babies.

14. charmer37

charmer37

I totally agree, Not gonna happen.

JoeyA likes this.
  15. Stan07

Stan07

From the Bloomberg article: "Tugas, the driver from the Social Safeway parking lot, said that he was sleeping there because he wants to. And he doesn’t hold Uber responsible for his decision to work 14 hour days."

Tugas is sleeping in the car, he is naive, he is trying hard to be subject of natural selection.. The problem is, when Tugas starts driving people for money, he puts innocent people at a risk of getting involved in road accident.

These kinds of irresponsible decisions should not be tolerated by government, i'd suspend all those sleeping drivers licenses on spot.

simon1.jpg BobSimonDriverFromHell-nyp-277x300.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/speed-factor-bob-simon-livery-cab-crash-cops-article-1.2112327

NJWanderer and JoeyA like this.
  16. chevelle454

chevelle454

Driving:
    UberX
    Just be glad that you never find yourself in that situation. Trust me. One of the reasons I'm always as some people tell me so negative on the cheerleaders. It's not a easy life If you're going to do this full time with a family and/ or obligations

NJWanderer likes this.
  17. Stan07

Stan07

I don't think, new immigrants should be allowed to be a driver for too many different reasons;
    1) They work their asses off and eventually put innocent people's lives in danger.
    2) They spend too much time in the car instead of learning the new language, cultural rules, political organization, customs and more
    3) Because of the long working hours and slavery wages, they are not able to raise their children in a new, unfamiliar culture.

18. JoeyA

JoeyA

Driving:
    UberXL
    This one cannot be denied, and is the most important... you just cannot do that. This wrecks lives. Very selfish.

19. nickd8775

nickd8775

Driving:
    UberX
    Megatron sleeps in his car at the JFK lot, waking up for a Black or SUV ride. He makes $2000 a week.

Uber00 and SibeRescueBrian like this.