Some Algorithm knowlege

Coyotex

I'm starting to find a pattern with the Uber algorithm. For whatever reason, the last few weeks, the pings have me going away from downtown, where the hot spot is. That's not the issue, the issue is driving back dead head to the hot spot. Even if I stage in the hotspot, in the middle of a bunch of other ants, I seem to get the pings that take me away and, hence, away from the surge. If I stage out in the area I drop off the pax, I don't get pings. I've tried it several times.

Example: Yesterday, driving back dead head from a dropoff, I get a ping from a certain hotspot bar. I was still 9 minutes away and I had just looked at the riders app, there were 8 (yes 8) ants within 3 blocks of this particular bar. Why in the world would the ping have chosen me? My only guess is because I've been driving pax away from the hot spot (and surges) and this pax probably wanted to head out that way. I declined it and then PING, another ride not 5 blocks from where I was. Yup, it took me away again.

Another example: I was coming back (dead head again) from another outskirts drop off and saw the downtown area lit up with some good surges! I was heading that way. Hadn't hit the sure area yet and get a ping from 12 minutes away, which would NOT take me through the surge area. I declined it and the surge color suddenly went away. Huh? I drive towards where the action is and get a ping. Where did it take me? Out beyond the outskirts....again.

Oh, I'm happy I'm getting the pings, that's not the issue. But, I know if I didn't have to have those dead miles driving back, I would have a LOT less miles and probably more $$ because I may have had a lot more rides, with surges.

I've only been driving for a few months. The first month, I was always in the middle of the hot spot, never had to drive away from it. Then, one week, I drove in the eve on a Tue/Wed and took a pax out to an apartment complex I've never been too before, outside the city. Now, more often than not, that's the area a lot of my destinations are.

I'm not complaining, I'm not whining, it's just an observation. Has anyone else realized something like this? Could it be something with the Uber algorithm?

UberBeemer

Happens to me. I live near a metra station, but get sent to McHenry or Woodstock in busy times. I don't usually mind, because the long pickup fee is usually 5 to 9 dollars.

ANT 7

You're a new driver who us now noticing that the honeymoon is coming to an end. Time to work against the system like I and others do.

ANT 7

Figure out how to make it work for you the way you want to your best advantage. Comes with many more rides and experience.

Coyotex

Figure out how to make it work for you the way you want to your best advantage. Comes with many more rides and experience.
Ahhhh....got it. Yup, I'm figuring it out, little by little. Just gotta figure out how to utilize the "dead miles" and I'd be good! It would have made me a LOT more money last night.

UberBeemer

Ahhhh....got it. Yup, I'm figuring it out, little by little. Just gotta figure out how to utilize the "dead miles" and I'd be good! It would have made me a LOT more money last night.
Dead miles are deductible. They're not ideal, but not always a bad thing.

Wildgoose

I'm starting to find a pattern with the Uber algorithm. For whatever reason, the last few weeks, the pings have me going away from downtown, where the hot spot is. That's not the issue, the issue is driving back dead head to the hot spot. Even if I stage in the hotspot, in the middle of a bunch of other ants, I seem to get the pings that take me away and, hence, away from the surge. If I stage out in the area I drop off the pax, I don't get pings. I've tried it several times.

Example: Yesterday, driving back dead head from a dropoff, I get a ping from a certain hotspot bar. I was still 9 minutes away and I had just looked at the riders app, there were 8 (yes 8) ants within 3 blocks of this particular bar. Why in the world would the ping have chosen me? My only guess is because I've been driving pax away from the hot spot (and surges) and this pax probably wanted to head out that way. I declined it and then PING, another ride not 5 blocks from where I was. Yup, it took me away again.

Another example: I was coming back (dead head again) from another outskirts drop off and saw the downtown area lit up with some good surges! I was heading that way. Hadn't hit the sure area yet and get a ping from 12 minutes away, which would NOT take me through the surge area. I declined it and the surge color suddenly went away. Huh? I drive towards where the action is and get a ping. Where did it take me? Out beyond the outskirts....again.

Oh, I'm happy I'm getting the pings, that's not the issue. But, I know if I didn't have to have those dead miles driving back, I would have a LOT less miles and probably more $$ because I may have had a lot more rides, with surges.

I've only been driving for a few months. The first month, I was always in the middle of the hot spot, never had to drive away from it. Then, one week, I drove in the eve on a Tue/Wed and took a pax out to an apartment complex I've never been too before, outside the city. Now, more often than not, that's the area a lot of my destinations are.

I'm not complaining, I'm not whining, it's just an observation. Has anyone else realized something like this? Could it be something with the Uber algorithm?

My guess is Uber Algorithm was written to bring drivers from outskirts into hot spot area. It sense that that area is going to be flooded with ride requests and it does not want to use the cars already being inside, and it worries that outskirt drivers would drive away then it chose to call those drivers inside skirt.

FLKeys

I have yet to receive a long pickup fee. :frown:

Look at the rates for your area and find out what the time threshold is for long pick ups. If it is at 10 minutes as soon as you hit 10 minutes you get paid time and miles, only on Uber. Use this to your advantage when calls are on the boarder or over the threshold.

Head toward ping 100 yards, pull over and make entries in mileage log. Don't be in a big hurry to get there. Pass the time threshold than pick up your pace to get there as now you are getting paid miles. Of course you need to evaluate these rides and how busy an area is if you stay and wait for another closer ping.

Seamus

Everything you see on the screen only exists to manipulate drivers. Totally ignore color on the screen and just follow a strategy you developed. Following a personal strategy will make you more money than fake surges and any quest offered. Don’t be fooled by manipulation.

IR12

Absolutely.
Ridesharing teaches us plenty about patterns. I started documenting certain algorithm behaviors. Spoke to my son about creating an app.....stay tuned.

-JR-

I was still 9 minutes away and I had just looked at the riders app, there were 8 (yes 8) ants within 3 blocks of this particular bar.

Greetings from across the pond.

Over here in London we have a huge problem with oversaturation.

There are too many Uber drivers.

45,000 ants in London alone ?

The shituation is so embarrassing that Uber had to restrict the evidence.

So in the last couple years, Uber changed the rider app to show a MAXIMUM of eight cars.

There could be 48 but Uber shows only eight.

goneubering

So in the last couple years, Uber changed the rider app to show a MAXIMUM of eight cars.

Uber only shows the 8 closest drivers here in California.

IR12

45,000? You guys got it made.
In SF Bay Area M-F 45,000 rideshare vehicles COME TO SF to join the 40k already there.
Imagine how many more on Sat-Sun.

KD_LA

Author
Al-gor-rithm