Soldiers Field

UberServant

Bears game today. Picked up 2 girls from West Loop at 10:00 am, going to the Bears game. Arrived at 11:06. over an hour to go barely 2 miles. The riders had no interest in getting out and walking they were busy just gossiping. The traffic into Museum Campus is absolutely ridiculous long periods of time where you don't move at all. The traffic coordinators or whatever you wish to call them are more a hindrance than a help, causing confusion. One of my riders got into a shouting match with one of them because I refused to get into a lane he directed me to, (would have meant forcing my way back into the lane I was already in further down) All in all getting in there on a game day is brutal. Did however receive a $20 tip from the girls that lessoned the pain.

SuperStar3000

Don't waste your time with venues and events - they're not worth the trouble, especially anything east of Lake Shore Drive.

Soldier Field, Navy Pier, Northerly Island, Museum Campus, and all of the beaches and harbors are just a pain in the ass.

Stay away from the lakefront and large venues and events - there is enough work out in the neighborhoods to keep you busy.

Mapnik

Don't waste your time with venues and events - they're not worth the trouble, especially anything east of Lake Shore Drive.
Going TO the event is completely random.... you can't choose to go to Soldier... of course you can choose to bail out, and I might do that absolutely for Soldier trips from now on. I picked up 4 on 1.7x in Lakeview... the final ramp took 15 minutes, but the problem I had was getting trapped in the South Loop... anywhere you want to go it's 25 cars deep, and you basically can't get back across Roosevelt to save your life. I wasted a good half hour after that drop just trying different options...

Not to mention looking at hundreds of clinically obese people wearing football jerseys... I mean, we're talking about a whole stadium full of people that look like sausages. And the Bears still suck anyway.

lakersfan1

I wouldnt want to walk when its 92 degrees, either ... but I also would have sold my tickets when the forecast came out. Normally I let them know up front they're getting dropped off somewhere on Roosevelt. Usually Indiana or Michigan.

Tom Harding

There should be a "Great Organizer" to get all full and part-time drivers to boycott certain events and locations. But all have to shut down at the same time and continue until the protest time is over. Say something like this:
On a Monday and Tuesday all drivers boycott Midway Airport - Uber, Lyft, and VIA drivers participate in the boycott. Then on Wednesday and Thursday the same for O'Hare, then the weekend all activity shuts down at 9PM. Taxis will love this, but there are not that many to make any difference and the riders will scream about the high fares and lousy service. Selective boycotts, I think is the best way to go, and only for a couple days at a time. I'm sure Uber and Lyft will cry and threaten to pull out, but there are several other companies waiting for just that to happen.
And remember, we are all self employed contractors that drive whenever and wherever we please, according to Uber and Lyft. So just turn off your cell phone and stay home for a couple of days or evenings.
To answer "why don't we just quit". Not me. And in Chicago we have 3 options Uber, Lyft, and a very restricted Via. I like driving, taking people and their stuff places. I like the additional income I earn. Quitting is not an option, but "car flu", boycott, and strike are options.
And when it comes to earnings, Lyft and Uber are about the same. what one does, the other does pretty much the same. Both have the same crappy rating system and refuse to fix it. Both have the same miles and time charges, and close to the same percentages. From 2 years experience, I'd say they mirror each other, from my point of view.

lakersfan1

There should be a "Great Organizer" to get all full and part-time drivers to boycott certain events and locations. But all have to shut down at the same time and continue until the protest time is over. Say something like this:
On a Monday and Tuesday all drivers boycott Midway Airport - Uber, Lyft, and VIA drivers participate in the boycott. Then on Wednesday and Thursday the same for O'Hare, then the weekend all activity shuts down at 9PM. Taxis will love this, but there are not that many to make any difference and the riders will scream about the high fares and lousy service. Selective boycotts, I think is the best way to go, and only for a couple days at a time. I'm sure Uber and Lyft will cry and threaten to pull out, but there are several other companies waiting for just that to happen.
And remember, we are all self employed contractors that drive whenever and wherever we please, according to Uber and Lyft. So just turn off your cell phone and stay home for a couple of days or evenings.
To answer "why don't we just quit". Not me. And in Chicago we have 3 options Uber, Lyft, and a very restricted Via. I like driving, taking people and their stuff places. I like the additional income I earn. Quitting is not an option, but "car flu", boycott, and strike are options.
And when it comes to earnings, Lyft and Uber are about the same. what one does, the other does pretty much the same. Both have the same crappy rating system and refuse to fix it. Both have the same miles and time charges, and close to the same percentages. From 2 years experience, I'd say they mirror each other, from my point of view.

I don't think you get it. The REASON it sucks for us to drive all these city venues is BECAUSE of the cab companies. They all have special access, and we get diverted to nowhere and threatened with tickets at every step.

Avoiding venues is common sense. Avoiding the airports is just throwing money out the window.

Andretti

It's insane to try to get them all the way there. My last group bailed at Wabash & Roosevelt, and even that was a little deeper than I should have gone.

Best to let then know beforehand that you can't get them all the way there, and they'll need to walk a bit.