Societal Meltdown - coming to a locale near you? Watch for increased road rage while driving.

_Tron_

I drive in a medium sized metropolitan area in California. Not a big city. Crime is relatively low. Smallish homeless population. The few protests that occurred this year were peaceful. None-the-less, for several years now across the board I've noticed that people are becoming edgier.... more stressed out... more angst ridden. People already on the edge have been falling off it.

But in the past few months, even in the typically docile communities I traverse in my rideshare car I am witnessing events I've only ever seen on TV. Take for example a recent morning run to McDonald's for morning coffee, which ended up in a showdown not dissimilar to the Seinfeld episode where George and another driver both claim the same parking space on a New York street. The drive-through has two ordering lanes which converge to a single lane. While placing my order in lane 2 an SUV abruptly pulls in to lane 1 and starts ordering. We both pull forward to the single lane to make payment around the same time, but I end up slightly ahead of the other driver. Still, he edges his vehicle close to the car in front of us waiting to pay. I am feeling a bit anxious myself and refuse to give any ground. The Lane 1 driver has his right window down. Conversation ensues...

Me: "I was ahead of you sir."
Lane 1 guy: "No. I was already ahead of you and in line."
Me: "No, you weren't.
Lane 1 guy: Repeats his claim, and pulls his car forward another foot.
Me: "OK. You win. Go ahead and go." I back up a few feet
Lane 1 guy: He mouths off some more even though he had won. I don't recall the exact words.
Me: "Go ahead. Clearly it's important to you to go first"
Lane 1 guy: "Well clearly it's important to you too!"
Me: "But it's clearly more important to you"

With that last sentence I have achieved a verbal technical knockout. The driver knows this and is so frustrated by it that he exits his vehicle and starts heading to my car, announcing in a threatening voice, "Oh, you got something to say?". I am of course trapped in the drive-through line with no escape. I am of retirement age and this guy is half my age, twice as big, and grossly overweight.

I roll the window part way up. Then with my left hand I retrieve the can of pepper spray from the door pocket and grab my phone with the other hand. I shout out, "Get back in your car fatso or I'll mace you and call 911."

The guy collects his senses and retreats to his car. Now the pay window is clear for us to pull forward. I announce to the other driver, "I'm still going to let you go ahead". He pulled ahead, infuriated. Later when I pulled in to traffic and got caught at the first red light there was the guy again, nearly next to me. He didn't see me though, and as the light turned green he was on his horn for the guy in front of him, who wasn't moving fast enough to suit him.

---
In another incident I was driving on a two lane road that necked down to one lane after an intersection. Traffic was heavy but moving with the green light. As I crossed the intersection suddenly a big diesel pickup (4-door, duallies) lunges forward from the cross street, which had the red light. The truck turns right and is now parallel to me in what is the merge lane just before the road becomes 1 lane. The driver is flooring it and you can hear the loud diesel laboring under the load.

I choose to give no ground (I am admittedly stubborn at times), thinking that as the roadway gets narrower and narrower the driver will eventually back off. But noooooooo. He keeps moving to the left until finally I have no choice but to either let him hit me or give up the lane. I was forced out of the lane and into one of those center type lanes that allow vehicles driving in either direction to make a left turn. I then eased in behind the giant truck.

After about a mile the pickup turns off on a side street. I was still pissed off enough that I decided to follow it and get a shot of the license plate to report the driver to the police for reckless driving. Big mistake. In short order the driver pulls over to a curb. I do likewise about four car lengths back. I'm thinking the guy is going into a nearby business. But noooo. Out pops the driver and heading straight for me. The dude is MASSIVE. The word "monster" actually popped into my mind. He was nearly as big as his truck. Giant bald head. You know the type. Except in this case his head sort of narrowed at the top and came to a crown. Like he was deformed or something. Kind of like the extra-wide version of Zippy the pinhead.

Walking toward my car, in a bellowing voice he shouts out, "Do you have something to say, @@@@@@@@?" I was so scared I sort of froze. Wasn't even thinking about the pepper spray, which easily could have easily backfired anyway. Like shooting a 22 at a Grizzly bear and simply pissing it off. The only thing I could think of was to act like I was photographing him and the truck. Maybe fear of the incident being documented would make him back off. It didn't. Worse yet, I couldn't find the camera icon on the stupid phone, so I was just pretending to photograph him and his truck. The dude came right up to my (fully closed) window. I ignored him, steadfastly pretending to photograph the scene. In frustration he slammed his fist against the driver's window and walked back to his truck. My whole car shook from the single fist pound. Why the glass didn't break I do not know.

---
There have been other unusual, over-the-top vehicle incidents lately as well. But all the other ones I've just backed away from. In greater numbers, people are losing their senses at times. And you simply can't argue with a crazy person.

Finally, there was this vehicle parked in a CVS parking lot....

1605549548865.png

1605547348585.png

1605549917369.png

1605549718399.png

1605547426143.png

Last edited:

mrpjfresh

In recent years, I've just started letting a lot more things go. I used to flip off terrible and dangerous drivers or get annoyed/angry at certain things on the road. Like you says, way too many crazies out there and honestly, what does it really solve? These type of people never really learn and nothing good can come of engaging with this sort. Most people don't even have basic conflict skills; they just try to yell a lot over the other person like a stupid talking head on cable news even if they are blatantly wrong. Even worse, there are the bullies or "Charles Bronson" types just itching to tangle with someone because their lives are essentially meaningless and empty of any real fulfillment. You can see this in public freakout videos all the time. With it being 2020 and all, people are even more scared and angry and on edge.

I've posted this reaction before but literally just a few days ago, a woman was tailgating me for a quarter mile down a mountain road. I'm doing the speed limit, 35, but that's not sufficient and she is literally within a few feet. When I get to the bottom, I put on my hazards and pull off to the side. She brakes, not knowing what to expect, lays on her horn and I simply smile and wave as she drives past. The look on her face went from rage to half confused/half constipated within a second. I caught up with her 30 seconds later at the stop light at the bottom of the road where I turned right on red and went on my merry while she sat waiting to turn left.

observer

I drive in a medium sized metropolitan area in California. Not a big city. Crime is relatively low. Smallish homeless population. The few protests that occurred this year were peaceful. None-the-less, for several years now across the board I've noticed that people are becoming edgier.... more stressed out... more angst ridden. People already on the edge have been falling off it.

But in the past few months, even in the typically docile communities I traverse in my rideshare car I am witnessing events I've only ever seen on TV. Take for example a recent morning run to McDonald's for morning coffee, which ended up in a showdown not dissimilar to the Seinfeld episode where George and another driver both claim the same parking space on a New York street. The drive-through has two ordering lanes which converge to a single lane. While placing my order in lane 2 an SUV abruptly pulls in to lane 1 and starts ordering. We both pull forward to the single lane to make payment around the same time, but I end up slightly ahead of the other driver. Still, he edges his vehicle close to the car in front of us waiting to pay. I am feeling a bit anxious myself and refuse to give any ground. The Lane 1 driver has his right window down. Conversation ensues...

Lane 1 guy: He mouths off some more even though he had won. I don't recall the exact words.

With that last sentence I have achieved a verbal technical knockout. The driver knows this and is so frustrated by it that he exits his vehicle and starts heading to my car, announcing in a threatening voice, "Oh, you got something to say?". I am of course trapped in the drive-through line with no escape. I am of retirement age and this guy is half my age, twice as big, and grossly overweight.

I roll the window part way up. Then with my left hand I retrieve the can of pepper spray from the door pocket and grab my phone with the other hand. I shout out, "Get back in your car fatso or I'll mace you and call 911."

The guy collects his senses and retreats to his car. Now the pay window is clear for us to pull forward. I announce to the other driver, "I'm still going to let you go ahead". He pulled ahead, infuriated. Later when I pulled in to traffic and got caught at the first red light there was the guy again, nearly next to me. He didn't see me though, and as the light turned green he was on his horn for the guy in front of him, who wasn't moving fast enough to suit him.

---
In another incident I was driving on a two lane road that necked down to one lane after an intersection. Traffic was heavy but moving with the green light. As I crossed the intersection suddenly a big diesel pickup (4-door, duallies) lunges forward from the cross street, which had the red light. The truck turns right and is now parallel to me in what is the merge lane just before the road becomes 1 lane. The driver is flooring it and you can hear the loud diesel laboring under the load.

I choose to give no ground (I am admittedly stubborn at times), thinking that as the roadway gets narrower and narrower the driver will eventually back off. But noooooooo. He keeps moving to the left until finally I have no choice but to either let him hit me or give up the lane. I was forced out of the lane and into one of those center type lanes that allow vehicles driving in either direction to make a left turn. I then eased in behind the giant truck.

After about a mile the pickup turns off on a side street. I was still pissed off enough that I decided to follow it and get a shot of the license plate to report the driver to the police for reckless driving. Big mistake. In short order the driver pulls over to a curb. I do likewise about four car lengths back. I'm thinking the guy is going into a nearby business. But noooo. Out pops the driver and heading straight for me. The dude is MASSIVE. The word "monster" actually popped into my mind. He was nearly as big as his truck. Giant bald head. You know the type. Except in this case his head sort of narrowed at the top and came to a crown. Like he was deformed or something. Kind of like the extra-wide version of Zippy the pinhead.

Walking toward my car, in a bellowing voice he shouts out, "Do you have something to say, @@@@@@@@?" I was so scared I sort of froze. Wasn't even thinking about the pepper spray, which easily could have easily backfired anyway. Like shooting a 22 at a Grizzly bear and simply pissing it off. The only thing I could think of was to act like I was photographing him and the truck. Maybe fear of the incident being documented would make him back off. It didn't. Worse yet, I couldn't find the camera icon on the stupid phone, so I was just pretending to photograph him and his truck. The dude came right up to my (fully closed) window. I ignored him, steadfastly pretending to photograph the scene. In frustration he slammed his fist against the driver's window and walked back to his truck. My whole car shook from the single fist pound. Why the glass didn't break I do not know.

---
There have been other unusual, over-the-top vehicle incidents lately as well. But all the other ones I've just backed away from. In greater numbers, people are losing their senses at times. And you simply can't argue with a crazy person.

View attachment 526452

View attachment 526439
View attachment 526455

View attachment 526454

View attachment 526443
I know someone that has worked 20 years for the city tow department. He says that this year has been a record year for cars towed involved in accidents.

Way more aggresive driving than usual.

wallae

---

---

View attachment 526452

View attachment 526439
View attachment 526455

View attachment 526454

View attachment 526443
Make sure you have a good spray.
I wrote a good portion of the Wikipedia page on pepper spray.
Goes from .18 to 3.0
They bs...
“500,000 scoville heat unit!!! pepper But like 151 rum it means nothing if they only put 1 drop of a giant glass.

A time ago this 3%MC from a alaskan bear spray maker was the best I found.
50% stronger than their bear spray which is limited by law at 2% MC
Cops used to use 3% but stopped as decontamination was too long
That’s the important number that none of them give you.

Attachments

• 429CE685-EAB8-4EB6-8F08-654773737E07.jpeg
    429CE685-EAB8-4EB6-8F08-654773737E07.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

wallae

Interesting. I did some research last year and came up with this:
Link
It’s a 2% and should be decent.

Funny wording..if we were to use___ it would be 3.5!
Post automatically merged:

You know what we need to do is test these things

We can probably find an Uber driver to do it for six bucks a shot😅

Attachments

• 24DD70A6-0D0D-4D12-866E-77666F413C7A.jpeg
    24DD70A6-0D0D-4D12-866E-77666F413C7A.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 12
  • C4D753F8-4AC2-43B3-8C49-EBDC4AF803C7.jpeg
    C4D753F8-4AC2-43B3-8C49-EBDC4AF803C7.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

mbd

---

---

View attachment 526452

View attachment 526439
View attachment 526455

View attachment 526454

View attachment 526443
Today , I had a construction vehicle in front of me and I slowed down to give the vehicle about 300 ft of distance . My windshield has about 70 small pellet marks from airborne particles. Psychopath behind me didn’t appreciate my move so he starts honking 😛 I was going 60, so I slowed it down to 30 on the highway and the maniac behind starts yelling and screaming 😛 He took the next exit 😆 my next move was going to be deceleration to 10 mph with hazard lights on.😛
I am trying to save 140$ on a new windshield... it doesn’t have any visible cracks but the whole windshield has small marks😛 it’s not really visible but if you really concentrate, you can see the dots.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
This is what happens when rich societies collapse. For the average citizen (not the 1%), China is on the rise, and the USA is on the decline. Expect more anger and chaos as we go forward in to the 2020s.

ColdRider

---
Be careful @_Tron_ !

mooncher.jpg

You don't want to get in the way of the MOONCHER. It consumes everything in its path!

bone-aching-work

This is what happens when rich societies collapse. For the average citizen (not the 1%), China is on the rise, and the USA is on the decline. Expect more anger and chaos as we go forward in to the 2020s.
I got left behind in the economic ditch by 2009. The poor keep on being poor, no big change there. I will admit to some degree of schadenfreud as I watch those people who shat on me over the last decade finally learn how to cook ramen noodles.