• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

So...

darkshy77

Stay off my island.... Drive won't going unless it the port or big events no work.... The few ride locals can handle. I don't get people for sugerland hang out in Pasadena... Now if I end up down there I work it. Inside the loop is what 2 million poeple..now there are a few hot spot down that way but they have ants all over them now days too.

Fuzzyelvis

First, I'm new here even though I've been reading the forum for some months. So, hello everyone who reads this.

I was a driver in Galveston with GetMe. I drove occasionally for Uber in the past, but not as much as I used to when I started doing UberEats in Houston before people started abusing the system with lower rates. Stuff like calling in an Uber 10 minutes away to bring you food a couple blocks away. Before you say I should have known better, when I first started doing UberEats, most of my trips were over 5 miles not infrequently over 10 miles. I stayed busy and would make around $90 or so just for dinner rush since I used to get off work at 3p.m. When I started doing UberX it was simply to fill in the gaps where I thought I may get rides from outside of the food delivery zones. Long story short, doing UberX was less efficient because I'd get more UberX requests than food even though I preferred food. Then they lowered rates, then they took away the option of having an Eats/X toggle.

So skipping into the future, I'm gonna tell you a few stories about the past week since I haven't seen anybody post from down here. Maybe because Galveston was kind of a hidden gem because of the fees the city imposed. Mardi Gras I made over $1000 (even at the $1.10 rate of the time) in just 2 1/2 days. Regularly, I'd break $600 for just doing two days on the weekend (less than half that with Uber/Lyft last week). Other times I'd get a handful of airport rides during the week at $60-80 a pop. Again, rates are higher now. Hardly got any requests after Uber went live last Monday. One highlight was a trip to the Hermann Park area that got me $75 cash in pocket. They knew Uber was in town, but were foreigners. Maybe French and I'm guessing some of them know the problems Uber caused. Pardon my ignorance, I know there is Google as well, but I believe there were some kind of riots there.

Most of what I mention won't be outstanding to those in Houston, but it's new to me here. People now abuse the service, I don't mean to go from point A to point B 2 miles away, they'll use Uber or Lyft just to go a block because they value the services they use so much, so little (One was so short Lyft thought I started and ended the ride without the passenger). Maybe they're used to never seeing the same drivers more than once, which used to be quite common here. It'd be like meeting a friend for the weekend. I've even on a few occasions hung out with riders after rides going to bars and such. Became Facebook friends with some.

I'm not going to argue for less drivers, not that, so bear with me. I've had this happen to me repeatedly while testing the services. To the point today, Galvestonians who already knew about and used GetMe wanted to abuse the service the same way they do Uber and Lyft. They wanted me to pack about 7 girls into my Sedan just to go from Seawall to UTMB less than a mile away. I'm guessing the Uber and Lyft drivers said no so they called GetMe.

I had one other ride today and it was a guy going a reasonable distance, about 5 or 6 miles and he wanted to get home this morning because he was getting his car fixed. No Uber drivers in town yet to try to get airport rides. No part-timers in town trying to get extra cash. Just us. Where we've always been. I've given him rides multiple times before. But still he complained about not only about not being able to get an Uber, but that it was cheaper. Keep in mind this ride only cost him about $8-9 instead of $5. So I kindly told him that maybe Uber drivers aren't going to be coming all the way to Galveston for so little money. I was perhaps being sarcastic when I said maybe if more Galveston drivers sign up they'd be able to get an Uber. I said it took me 4 hours to get approved for Lyft. He replied with he'd given one Uber ride before when he was in Houston. It only took him a day to sign up.

He'd given one Uber ride before. Let that sink in. He said he worked 50-60 hours a week, so he wouldn't have time for Uber. A that means he's not broke. B, He should know it's worth no one's time. To go 10 minutes away to get you unless they're just bored. Being retired isn't an excuse as I know several cab drivers in Galveston who retired from other professions and drive cabs to be social and feel useful.

No, I could tell you more stories like this about passengers. Several who seemed more surprised than me that they were seeing me drive an Uber. I could tell you about how apologetic and guilty they behaved. I could tell you about the most belligerent passengers I've ever had in Galveston over this past week. People calling me who just stay a block away from their hotel because they want me for $.08/minute to sit in a busy drive-thru. I could tell you about how the a huge amount of people with a lot of money who already knew about and used GetMe in West Galveston, so they flaked on me a few times with GetMe and cancelled on me when they saw the same driver logged onto Uber. This happened multiple times btw. Once an Uber chain ride I had was the exact same person who was requesting a GetMe ride I accepted. Guess which one the regular customer rushed to cancel first. But I think this is about as dramatic as I want to get. They don't need full stories.

I'm starting to drive a taxi in the morning because our Galveston Chauffeur's licenses apply to all city driving jobs. Including driving a horse carriage (If you're qualified). I'm just testing it out, but likely I'll stick with it. If you guys are smart, you'll spread the word about GetMe and refuse to Uber down here. Get over $100 for a ride to George Bush. Get paid close to $14/hr for waiting if you're in such a mood to do so. At least have the common sense to drive for Lyft since you'll get paid slightly more and all the drivers you refer can get you paid.

We know how Lyft revolutionized the way people hire a taxi and Uber helped them mess everything up along the way. Taxi drivers here are still being used and still making lots of money a week here, before Uber left and after Uber's return. I just witnessed it today. Everyone that got into the taxi valued what he was doing for them and the bond my trainer built with his customers.

I have enough emotion in me to write a novella at least about the past week, so this is about as concise as it gets. Pardon any typos, misspellings, or grammatical errors. Tell me how you feel. Maybe some Houston TNC drivers have stories to share with me about hurdles they went through to get licensed in Houston and how your earnings are now.

We control the market, don't forget that. Riders go where the drivers are and ultimately, I think people will think it was absurd as I did at the beginning that we let people drive around in our personal vehicles based on old stories about how a guy made so much money with Uber he quit his job as an engineer. I mean, with rates as they are now, I guarantee you that guy is an engineer again. Now you're doing it for gas money.
Okay so that was a little long. I'm going to give the abridged version here:

Uber and Lyft suck.
Most passengers are cheap assholes.

Krypto_Dogg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stay off my island.... Drive won't going unless it the port or big events no work.... The few ride locals can handle. I don't get people for sugerland hang out in Pasadena... Now if I end up down there I work it. Inside the loop is what 2 million poeple..now there are a few hot spot down that way but they have ants all over them now days too.
Since I've read other posts you've written and understand it, I can only deduce you're making fun of me in some way. Like I said Taxi drivers were still making $160 per trip to IAH, while Uber drivers were making way less. There is port signage for GetMe, so passengers know it is an option. Not sure why you wouldn't just sign up for GetMe instead. I'm going to be driving a cab at least starting the night shift. I'll do GetMe if I feel like driving in-between when I'm sharing a cab. Theoretically you could probably make more money doing GetMe rather than sharing a cab if people requested. It'd be cheaper for them and a bigger cut for drivers. But I have bills to pay.

The part I got was of course I never expect to meet the same person twice in Houston unless it's on the outskirts. But often those ended up being some decent rides when I did Uber.

Uber and Lyft suck.
A bit short for the tl;dr, but it does contain a lot of the sentiment.

Gnron

First, I'm new here even though I've been reading the forum for some months. So, hello everyone who reads this.

I was a driver in Galveston with GetMe. I drove occasionally for Uber in the past, but not as much as I used to when I started doing UberEats in Houston before people started abusing the system with lower rates. Stuff like calling in an Uber 10 minutes away to bring you food a couple blocks away. Before you say I should have known better, when I first started doing UberEats, most of my trips were over 5 miles not infrequently over 10 miles. I stayed busy and would make around $90 or so just for dinner rush since I used to get off work at 3p.m. When I started doing UberX it was simply to fill in the gaps where I thought I may get rides from outside of the food delivery zones. Long story short, doing UberX was less efficient because I'd get more UberX requests than food even though I preferred food. Then they lowered rates, then they took away the option of having an Eats/X toggle.

So skipping into the future, I'm gonna tell you a few stories about the past week since I haven't seen anybody post from down here. Maybe because Galveston was kind of a hidden gem because of the fees the city imposed. Mardi Gras I made over $1000 (even at the $1.10 rate of the time) in just 2 1/2 days. Regularly, I'd break $600 for just doing two days on the weekend (less than half that with Uber/Lyft last week). Other times I'd get a handful of airport rides during the week at $60-80 a pop. Again, rates are higher now. Hardly got any requests after Uber went live last Monday. One highlight was a trip to the Hermann Park area that got me $75 cash in pocket. They knew Uber was in town, but were foreigners. Maybe French and I'm guessing some of them know the problems Uber caused. Pardon my ignorance, I know there is Google as well, but I believe there were some kind of riots there.

Most of what I mention won't be outstanding to those in Houston, but it's new to me here. People now abuse the service, I don't mean to go from point A to point B 2 miles away, they'll use Uber or Lyft just to go a block because they value the services they use so much, so little (One was so short Lyft thought I started and ended the ride without the passenger). Maybe they're used to never seeing the same drivers more than once, which used to be quite common here. It'd be like meeting a friend for the weekend. I've even on a few occasions hung out with riders after rides going to bars and such. Became Facebook friends with some.

I'm not going to argue for less drivers, not that, so bear with me. I've had this happen to me repeatedly while testing the services. To the point today, Galvestonians who already knew about and used GetMe wanted to abuse the service the same way they do Uber and Lyft. They wanted me to pack about 7 girls into my Sedan just to go from Seawall to UTMB less than a mile away. I'm guessing the Uber and Lyft drivers said no so they called GetMe.

I had one other ride today and it was a guy going a reasonable distance, about 5 or 6 miles and he wanted to get home this morning because he was getting his car fixed. No Uber drivers in town yet to try to get airport rides. No part-timers in town trying to get extra cash. Just us. Where we've always been. I've given him rides multiple times before. But still he complained about not only about not being able to get an Uber, but that it was cheaper. Keep in mind this ride only cost him about $8-9 instead of $5. So I kindly told him that maybe Uber drivers aren't going to be coming all the way to Galveston for so little money. I was perhaps being sarcastic when I said maybe if more Galveston drivers sign up they'd be able to get an Uber. I said it took me 4 hours to get approved for Lyft. He replied with he'd given one Uber ride before when he was in Houston. It only took him a day to sign up.

He'd given one Uber ride before. Let that sink in. He said he worked 50-60 hours a week, so he wouldn't have time for Uber. A that means he's not broke. B, He should know it's worth no one's time. To go 10 minutes away to get you unless they're just bored. Being retired isn't an excuse as I know several cab drivers in Galveston who retired from other professions and drive cabs to be social and feel useful.

No, I could tell you more stories like this about passengers. Several who seemed more surprised than me that they were seeing me drive an Uber. I could tell you about how apologetic and guilty they behaved. I could tell you about the most belligerent passengers I've ever had in Galveston over this past week. People calling me who just stay a block away from their hotel because they want me for $.08/minute to sit in a busy drive-thru. I could tell you about how the a huge amount of people with a lot of money who already knew about and used GetMe in West Galveston, so they flaked on me a few times with GetMe and cancelled on me when they saw the same driver logged onto Uber. This happened multiple times btw. Once an Uber chain ride I had was the exact same person who was requesting a GetMe ride I accepted. Guess which one the regular customer rushed to cancel first. But I think this is about as dramatic as I want to get. They don't need full stories.

I'm starting to drive a taxi in the morning because our Galveston Chauffeur's licenses apply to all city driving jobs. Including driving a horse carriage (If you're qualified). I'm just testing it out, but likely I'll stick with it. If you guys are smart, you'll spread the word about GetMe and refuse to Uber down here. Get over $100 for a ride to George Bush. Get paid close to $14/hr for waiting if you're in such a mood to do so. At least have the common sense to drive for Lyft since you'll get paid slightly more and all the drivers you refer can get you paid.

We know how Lyft revolutionized the way people hire a taxi and Uber helped them mess everything up along the way. Taxi drivers here are still being used and still making lots of money a week here, before Uber left and after Uber's return. I just witnessed it today. Everyone that got into the taxi valued what he was doing for them and the bond my trainer built with his customers.

I have enough emotion in me to write a novella at least about the past week, so this is about as concise as it gets. Pardon any typos, misspellings, or grammatical errors. Tell me how you feel. Maybe some Houston TNC drivers have stories to share with me about hurdles they went through to get licensed in Houston and how your earnings are now.

We control the market, don't forget that. Riders go where the drivers are and ultimately, I think people will think it was absurd as I did at the beginning that we let people drive around in our personal vehicles based on old stories about how a guy made so much money with Uber he quit his job as an engineer. I mean, with rates as they are now, I guarantee you that guy is an engineer again. Now you're doing it for gas money.
So when did Uber return to the island?? Any restrictions?

darkshy77

Yes the new state law lifted any restrictions...

Uber and Lyft suck.
Why pay more for the same thing.... Uber Lyft or a cab. I just need to go for point a to b... Taxi to Bush why the cruise ships have bus service. Some people trying to be cheap ends up costing them more money.

Krypto_Dogg

Exactly my point. Drivers should know to get paid an amount that's worth your time. $2.29 isn't enough to let someone ride in your late model car and treat you like a slave.

Galveston was already used to paying more. Uber should raise the rates here. Most trips are a waste of time.

Ghost cars on the island too. No cars at some of the map locations at all. They want to trick drivers to come from further out for a minimum fare.

Last edited:

Gnron

Yes the new state law lifted any restrictions...

Why pay more for the same thing.... Uber Lyft or a cab. I just need to go for point a to b... Taxi to Bush why the cruise ships have bus service. Some people trying to be cheap ends up costing them more money.
Are you saying it cost the same to ride in a cab verses Uber from Galveston to Houston???

Krypto_Dogg

Are you saying it cost the same to ride in a cab verses Uber from Galveston to Houston???
Uber drivers get paid alot less. Cabs are $3 a mile. GetMe is $1.50/mile. People don't respect Uber drivers, but magically think they get rich from minimum rides.

People will just have to Google about why people don't respect things that are cheap and readily commodified.

villetta

Uber drivers get paid alot less. Cabs are $3 a mile. GetMe is $1.50/mile. People don't respect Uber drivers, but magically think they get rich from minimum rides.

People will just have to Google about why people don't respect things that are cheap and readily commodified.
Flag drop/minimum fare is $3. Mileage is $0.60 1/4 mile.

Krypto_Dogg

Flag drop/minimum fare is $3. Mileage is $0.60 1/4 mile.

I know, but my main point is why work for less? People already know how to ask about alternatives if there is no Uber. GetMe needed to be branded, not just known about I suppose. The dirty math is roughly $3 a mile. Most times it will average to just about that...if you own or lease the taxi.

villetta

I know, but my main point is why work for less? People already know how to ask about alternatives if there is no Uber. GetMe needed to be branded, not just known about I suppose. The dirty math is roughly $3 a mile. Most times it will average to just about that...if you own or lease the taxi.
The taxi fare is set by City ordinance. Whether the driver owns or leases the car has no bearing on the fares at all.

Krypto_Dogg

The taxi fare is set by City ordinance. Whether the driver owns or leases the car has no bearing on the fares at all.
Do you think I'm arguing? Not sure. I could screen shot you the taxi window I'm driving. You know what I know.

Chessrue

I had an Uber XL down to Galveston last weekend to get dropped off on the cruise ships. Thought that was great until I got down there and it was raining cats and dogs and the whole city was flooded. And then the line to drop off at the ships was like 45 minutes! Meanwhile I'm getting pings left and right from other people since Uber thought I was dropping off the first passengers any second (no surging though). Are the wait lines that long always before the ships leave? I thought most people park nearby and take shuttles to the ships (or maybe because of the flooding the shuttles weren't running?). Galveston isn't a fun place to drive in when it's flooding I know that.

Krypto_Dogg

I had an Uber XL down to Galveston last weekend to get dropped off on the cruise ships. Thought that was great until I got down there and it was raining cats and dogs and the whole city was flooded. And then the line to drop off at the ships was like 45 minutes! Meanwhile I'm getting pings left and right from other people since Uber thought I was dropping off the first passengers any second (no surging though). Are the wait lines that long always before the ships leave? I thought most people park nearby and take shuttles to the ships (or maybe because of the flooding the shuttles weren't running?). Galveston isn't a fun place to drive in when it's flooding I know that.
I drove that day, some GetMe, but I wasn't trying to get out in the flood for Uber rates. I would have taken $75-100 for an airport run though. No luck with that. Uber guys did it for much less and the taxis still made their money.