So you Thought Uber was on Your Side

SuburbanBoy

I don't think anyone here believes that Uber are on their side.
However we all know they've 'got our backs'!
Re the mapping project I first heard of this over a year ago. It's been in development at least that long. The Subi Stooge, (Bedford Bowling Club Buffoon in those days), I heard it from said Uber are basically not satisfied with Google Maps. As we are all sent to the street behind where we actually need to be on a regular basis, I suspect most of us would agree Google Maps is rubbish. I suggested they should allow the Uber app to Bluetooth the info directly to a dedicated GPS like a TomTom. I've used TomToms for years in various delivery jobs and they've never had this problem of navigating to the wrong street. And most of the better ones these days have Bluetooth built in as well as stuff like live traffic updates.

Last edited:

UberDriverAU

I don't think anyone here believes that Uber are on their side.
However we all know they've 'got our backs'!
Re the mapping project I first heard of this over a year ago. It's been in development at least that long. The Subi Stooge, (Bedford Bowling Club Buffoon in those days), I heard it from said Uber are basically not satisfied with Google Maps. As we are all sent to the street behind where we actually need to be on a regular basis, I suspect most of us would agree Google Maps is rubbish. I suggested they should allow the Uber app to Bluetooth the info directly to a dedicated GPS like a TomTom. I've used TomToms for years in various delivery jobs and they've never had this problem of navigating to the wrong street. And most of the better ones these days have Bluetooth built in as well as stuff like live traffic updates.
It's actually Uber's fault. The driver app passes in a GPS coordinate rather than an address to Google Maps, so Google Maps is simply doing the best it can with the information provided to it. Drivers need to be proactive and verify the pickup and dropoff addresses prior to arriving.

SuburbanBoy

It's actually Uber's fault. The driver app passes in a GPS coordinate rather than an address to Google Maps, so Google Maps is simply doing the best it can with the information provided to it. Drivers need to be proactive and verify the pickup and dropoff addresses prior to arriving.
Yes I've heard this theory but I've had Google Maps do this parallel street error to me when not logged into Uber. I have also had countless riders tell me they have the same problem when navigating to their own homes as we drivers have.

Potsy

Yes I've heard this theory but I've had Google Maps do this parallel street error to me when not logged into Uber. I have also had countless riders tell me they have the same problem when navigating to their own homes as we drivers have.
.....and they want to introduce autonomous cars when they can't even get us to the correct pick up address half the time

SuburbanBoy

.....and they want to introduce autonomous cars when they can't even get us to the correct pick up address half the time
But we'll be the first in line to buy those autonomous cars, on Uber's behalf, in the hope that it can replace our own jobs.

tohunt4me

But we'll be the first in line to buy those autonomous cars, on Uber's behalf, in the hope that it can replace our own jobs.
The Corporate investors will buy fleets.

We will NEVER have the chance to participate.

We are just here for the hard work of ESTABLISHMENT,SETTING LEGAL PRECEDENT VIA OUR COURT CASES,AND DATA gathering.

( " RIDE SHARE" no longer applies for robots. Where do Robots need to go ? We are just here to be used to bypass laws during the establishment phase.YOU WILL NEVER GET THE CHANCE TO PARTICIPATE,OR PROFIT during automation phase. You're just here for the dirty work)

tohunt4me

Perhaps they will let you buy stock in a corporation who supplies the fleet for Uber.

The car manufacturers will QUIT worrying about YOU the consumer.

They will make their drone Robot cars identical and save assembly costs.you will no longer own a car.

THAT IS THE ULTIMATE GOAL

END OF PRIVATE OWNERSHIP !

WORLDWIDE.

AGENDA 21

HumungousDill

As I mentioned before they will continue to USE drivers intially as unsuspecting crash dummies, and scapegoats should something go awry. The terms and conditions will be suitably modified of course.

UberDriverAU

It's more than just a theory, I can see that Google Maps has been passed a GPS coordinate and not an address. Unless a device/app has accurate data on property boundaries, it's simply not going to be possible to accurately turn a GPS coordinate into an address with near 100% accuracy.