Uber Drivers Forum banner

So who is an expert on the 10/110 Express Lanes?

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  UberIsAllFubared 
#1 ·
So the other day, I got a trip from LAX to Grand Ave. Obviously, I took the 105 East driving in the HOV lanes to the 110 N. But as a resident of OC, I do not have a 10/110 transponder and at that transition, there is an overhead transponder reader with no cameras. I exited the express lanes thinking I was OK (and there wasn't a toll fee captured on the Uber waybill), but now I'm not so sure. Has anyone got a notice in the mail based on their license plate number about paying for 110 express lane use when you don't have an account? Is there anyway to check to see if you owe? Is having the switchable transponder for traveling on the 110 even worth it?

#3 ·
Before I got the FasTrac, my wife received a notice from MetroExpress with a photograph of her car and plates and 110 toll violation citation. Paid it online.

In your case, you can either check online or wait for the mail.

#5 ·
She is from the OC so it might not be worth it for her.

Wait, don't they have a ton of toll roads in the OC where you need to have a fast track? If that is the case I would pick one up.

#9 ·
Correct. Main difference is only that for Harbor/110 Fwy, 2+ is free with Fastrac set to 2/3 in vehicle. Uber does not add Toll (correct me if I'm wrong).

In OC, Toll Roads you pay per vehicle (not on # of people). Uber adds these OC Tolls to Fare (or should). And fee comes automatically out of your Fastrac account (you authorize FasTrak to auto load additional funds when account goes below threshold or manually add funds online periodically) .

FasTrak is easy and you have record for checking if Uber added to your Fare or not. Also if you take a Toll Road without PAX while driving "for business", this may be tax deductible (you now have good records).

There is/used to be a $1 per month maintenance fee. This can be waived depending on income.

Short version - yes, get one.

#11 ·
Had same issue 2 yrs ago when someone was using my car, i received letter with picture by mail saying that my ticket is 25$ and they will wave it if i buy the fastrak access effective the violation date which cost 40$ yearly, i choose the 2nd option, i think now it's 50$

#13 ·
Get a transponder Fastrack. If solo you pay the amount indicated on the sign by the freeway as indicated. If 2 people or 3+ people in car, you adjust your transponder before entrance to 2 or 3 switch and it should be free. If you lie about the number of passengers and highway patrol monitoring either visually or electronically you get a ticket.

#21 ·
I've gotten one in the mail. They give you the option of paying the fine $56 or signing up for Fastrak and paying the toll. My toll came out to .36c. There is a $40 balance required for the transponder and they deduct the toll from that. Much better than paying the fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.