So what rate is right ?

Mean_Judge

I have seen more people complaints about rate is too low, But my question to you guys is what is the right rate for you ? What would be that number that keep driver happy ? Thank you for reply.

joeboston

I think the following is reasonable:
$2.00 base fare +
70% per mile of the prevailing taxi rates +
A per minute equivalent that would equal 1.5x minimum wage for the city in question.

Also driver's choice on no show cancellation fee $5.00 after 2 minutes or (but not both) $10.00 after 5 minutes.

POOL fares: 75% of x plus the $2.00 base for each pickup. (This is no different than UBER copping the "booking fee" for each pickup)

If this were ever to be considered, I would be willing to forgo the "minimum fare" as an act of good faith.

As a side note, a $.25/ trip surcharge could be implemented for a limited period of time, say 6-12 months with the revenue dedicated to the taxi medallion owners to mitigate the devaluation of their investment.

I have been suggesting that last point for the past two years, with generally favorable responses, on various talk radio programs whenever the topic arises.

I believe the positive publicity alone would be worth far more to UBER than the actual dollars involved. I also think progressive minded investors I.e Ashton Kutcher, Google etc. would see the wisdom of such a gesture.

Last edited:

Greguzzi

My market is $1.35/mile and $ 0.24/ minute.

You can sorta make just OK money at these rates, but only if you chase surge hard and work only the best hours.

These are the rates to start at, and go up from there.

the ferryman

I think the following is reasonable:
$2.00 base fare +
70% per mile of the prevailing taxi rates +
A per minute equivalent that would equal 1.5x minimum wage for the city in question.

Also driver's choice on no show cancellation fee $5.00 after 2 minutes or (but not both) $10.00 after 5 minutes.

POOL fares: 75% of x plus the $2.00 base for each pickup. (This is no different than UBER copping the "booking fee" for each pickup)

If this were ever to be considered, I would be willing to forgo the "minimum fare" as an act of good faith.

As a side note, a $.25/ trip surcharge could be implemented for a limited period of time, say 6-12 months with the revenue dedicated to the taxi medallion owners to mitigate the devaluation of their investment.

I have been suggesting that last point for the past two years, with generally favorable responses, on various talk radio programs whenever the topic arises.

I believe the positive publicity alone would be worth far more to UBER than the actual dollars involved. I also think progressive minded investors I.e Ashton Kutcher, Google etc. would see the wisdom of such a gesture.
Like the cut of your jib on this... that's pretty close to what I'd like, with a significant bump, proportional to current, for XL/Plus.

UberPissed

Good question. At 1.6x surge, I feel like I do ok. In chcago, that would about 1.40 per mile and .38 per minute, with a base of 2.65. A 12 minute 3 mile ride would be 11.41, which we would net just over $9. If we could keep busy and do three of those per hour, it would come out to about $27 per hour before gas.

The more fundamental question is, what do you think your per hour rate should be? You have to admit, there isn't much work out there that you can do as much or as little as you want, with no schedule. There is a trade off to that, and it appears in the current wages.

Mickeym88

Agree with the 70% of the current local taxi rate would be fair and still a deal. If I made $10 per hour after cost I'd be very happy. I do think some minimums be in order.

Min per trip... 10
Min per hour... 15
Min per mile... .75
Min per dead mile for trips. .20 to cover costs

Something like that would stem haters. Jmho

shiftydrake

you now know why Taxis charge like they do..........
Maintenance is expensive...........extra things inside cars to keep clean like vinyl seats floormats and such is expensive......

My rate now in St Louis as a cab driver is....................$3.00 flag drop..........$2.00 a mile..............$1.00 per additional pasngr................and I won't drive for any Company for anything less

Oscar Levant

I have seen more people complaints about rate is too low, But my question to you guys is what is the right rate for you ? What would be that number that keep driver happy ? Thank you for reply.
depends on the city, but I think about 75% of the going taxi rate would do wonders for the bottom line, but without capping the number of drivers, you still have a problem of over-supply. Taxi's in San Diego charge from $2.80 - $3.20 with most about $3.00 per mile.
So, I'd say about $2.25 - $2.50 per mile would be perfect for Uber in this town. The Selects and the XL's can charge $3 and Blacks can continue with $3.55 and suv continue at $4.30.

jack badly

Regardless of what your opinions are on the fare, the africans will drive for any rate and you won't see many of them participate in these forums. of the 7 times that I requested for an uber ride, all of the drivers are Africans except for the other 2 times. they make up the majority of the uber drivers workforce..

Last edited: