So what exactly is the status of Uber throughout GTA and other regions?

Hannibalb

Can we break it down in this thread. Please people who actually have a clue about the policies and enforcement in these particular municipalities chime in.

Status in Toronto is pretty clear. Regulated and regs are being implemented.

Mississauga? Sounds like they are doing some limited ticketing of drivers...I thought they were allowing it for now...what exactly the status of Uber in Mississauga?

Brampton?

Oakville, Burlington?

York Region- Vaughan, Markham etc?

Pickering, Whitby, Ajax, Oshawa?

Going farther afield...

Hamilton?

Waterloo, Kitchener?

Guelph?

London?

Niagara region?

Kingston?

Ottawa?

djino

Ottawa: Regulation begins September 30th. Bylaw is ticketing until then.

Kingston: Nothing on the agenda as of yet. (Unregulated).

4RSTJ6

No, Mississauga has never "allowed" Uber. They tried to give them an ultimatum to stop while they created regulations, which Uber just ignored. One week later, council backtracked on the ban. But Uber is still unregulated and the city has always stated they would continue to issue tickets.

From the article back in May: http://www.mississauga.com/news-story/6689928-mississauga-eases-ban-on-uber/
"... councillors have opted to have the City's enforcement staff continue ticketing Uber drivers through their existing bylaws until a new regulatory framework is presented to council."

A pilot program is to be created in September (delayed from June).

Amun

They are ticketing in Hamilton, however they are not aggressive anymore about finding us.

Burlington the cabbies are nonunion so they could careless I tell cops all the time I'm Uber in Burlington the general impression I get is they like us.

I know Guelph,Windsor, and Brampton are super anti Uber. They give tickets, cabs will report you to bylaw if they can snap pics of you with the app on your phone. They report you to insurance companies. Hell in Guelph I know for a fact cab companies are offering bounties for catching Uber drivers.

Andy3131

Pickering: I spoke to a city councelor. His response: we never thinked of Uber. This is not a current issue we have at the city level.

John Byrne

Can we break it down in this thread. Please people who actually have a clue about the policies and enforcement in these particular municipalities chime in.

Status in Toronto is pretty clear. Regulated and regs are being implemented.

Mississauga? Sounds like they are doing some limited ticketing of drivers...I thought they were allowing it for now...what exactly the status of Uber in Mississauga?

Brampton?

Oakville, Burlington?

York Region- Vaughan, Markham etc?

Pickering, Whitby, Ajax, Oshawa?

Going farther afield...

Hamilton?

Waterloo, Kitchener?

Guelph?

London?

Niagara region?

Kingston?

Ottawa?
Kitchener/Waterloo Regional Council votes on Uber in a week or two (middle of August) for Uber's viability and then of course they will have to determine licensing fees and regulations....it is taking them forever to make a decision.

Hannibalb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kitchener/Waterloo Regional Council votes on Uber in a week or two (middle of August) for Uber's viability and then of course they will have to determine licensing fees and regulations....it is taking them forever to make a decision.
Are they ticketing people right now?

Amun

How can any municipality penalize for something which is not against any law? You know the history... what happened to those tickets in Toronto..
Technically it is against the law a "bi-law" it is "illegal" to not pick up your dogs poop. You can't do jail time for it but it is against a law driving for uber is the same thing. It is against a bi-law to transport people for money without a license and commercial insurance. However in Federal court we were ruled not taxis because uber has weaselled it's way into tricky language to become un-classifiable as taxis same as we aren't employees we are "partners". They have worked the language in the contracts to such a perfect way to get away with murder now.

I've picked people up and dropped them off in and around Missisauga & Oakville numerous times; and never had any trouble. I've done the same even in Burlington a couple of times. Never gotten in trouble with the law. In my view, there is no reason to worry.

Manhoos

Technically it is against the law a "bi-law" it is "illegal" to not pick up your dogs poop. You can't do jail time for it but it is against a law driving for uber is the same thing. It is against a bi-law to transport people for money without a license and commercial insurance. However in Federal court we were ruled not taxis because uber has weaselled it's way into tricky language to become un-classifiable as taxis same as we aren't employees we are "partners". They have worked the language in the contracts to such a perfect way to get away with murder now.
Welcome to real world..! This is how every business work..
There is always good business opportunity in something which is not regulated or in gray area. The smart ones find that niche and milk that cow

UberZF

Technically.. it is against HTA (Highway Traffic Act) to drive passengers for a fee without a licence...
In Toronto... There is now technically a PTC License in effect. Everywhere else, no rules yet.
City By-Law officers can impose City rules.
Police can enforce City By-Laws, and HTA infractions.

Amun

Technically.. it is against HTA (Highway Traffic Act) to drive passengers for a fee without a licence...
In Toronto... There is now technically a PTC License in effect. Everywhere else, no rules yet.
City By-Law officers can impose City rules.
Police can enforce City By-Laws, and HTA infractions.
It isn't against the HTA as the HTA is a federal law and in federal court we have been deemed to not be taxis. Also not one HTA charge has stuck anywhere in Canada on an UBER driver. When and if an OPP is dumb enough to try it, it is a scare tactic nothing more.

UberZF

It isn't against the HTA as the HTA is a federal law and in federal court we have been deemed to not be taxis. Also not one HTA charge has stuck anywhere in Canada on an UBER driver. When and if an OPP is dumb enough to try it, it is a scare tactic nothing more.
Try again...
HTA is Ontario Highway Traffic Act.... --
Specifically, this is where concern is...

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bills_detail.do?locale=en&BillID=3091

What's interesting is proposed changes...
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p54

But, it seems "Car Pool Vehicle" may become legal in Ontario, and if it does... It could trump all city By-Laws.

Hannibalb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anybody on current status in Kitchener, Waterloo, Guelph. Is it actually is the case Uber drivers aren't being ticketed in Mississauga?