So Slowwwwww

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
Thanks Syn. It was my first daytime driving attempt so I’m learning the ropes. :confusion:

In my limited experience of 14 rides spread out over one day and one evening “shift”, I received tips on 6 or about 43%. Is this typical for you? A female friend of mine who is not on the forum drives part time days downtown & east side and her overall tips from the last several months are consistent with this percentage.
Are Milwaukee folks just nicer with the tips?
I've tried everything to increase my tip percentage but the fact of the matter is I am a male.
Post automatically merged:

I'd say I get tips on about 25% of my trips.

Syn

I usually get tips from people who live in smaller towns. People from big cities are usually dicks.

Although I don't count on tips, they're a hit or a miss. Sometimes you get more than average, sometimes barely anyone tips. Keep your expenses low, that's the best way to make money in this field. Don't worry about having a nice/big car or driving too long for a pickup just to please a passenger. If it doesn't benefit you financially - don't do it regardless what Uber/Lyft and passenger are telling you.

Syrenn97

I've tried everything to increase my tip percentage but the fact of the matter is I am a male.
Post automatically merged:

I'd say I get tips on about 25% of my trips.
This is interesting. I wonder to what extent gender plays a role. I’ve had a couple female pax express relief to have a female driver. They both left $5. Maybe they wouldn’t have tipped a male. Hard to say!

When people think of tipping, they mainly just think of servers and bartenders, with the occasional bellhop or concierge. RS is such a different animal than the service industry though. I feel like when someone goes out to eat, it’s already established whether they generally tip 10, 15 or 20% (or the very few extra special a-holes who never tip at all), and it would take something significant to get them to deviate from their norm in either direction. But with Uber, it seems that the non-tippers don’t even consider it, like it never even occurs to them.

have you ever tried a tip jar? That would overcome the “they don’t realize” argument I’m making... hmm. But it could also piss people off. I have a favorite vape store on N Water St, and I was recently annoyed to see a tip jar on the counter. Who ever heard of tipping retail workers?! So, it’s possible that pax could react the same way. Since Uber so generously conditioned them that tipping wasn’t necessary for years 😡

what other things have you tried and decided doesn’t work? I keep hearing “offer them mints and water”, but I’m skeptical- that sounds like a great way to LOSE money!

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
This is interesting. I wonder to what extent gender plays a role. I’ve had a couple female pax express relief to have a female driver. They both left $5. Maybe they wouldn’t have tipped a male. Hard to say!

When people think of tipping, they mainly just think of servers and bartenders, with the occasional bellhop or concierge. RS is such a different animal than the service industry though. I feel like when someone goes out to eat, it’s already established whether they generally tip 10, 15 or 20% (or the very few extra special a-holes who never tip at all), and it would take something significant to get them to deviate from their norm in either direction. But with Uber, it seems that the non-tippers don’t even consider it, like it never even occurs to them.

have you ever tried a tip jar? That would overcome the “they don’t realize” argument I’m making... hmm. But it could also piss people off. I have a favorite vape store on N Water St, and I was recently annoyed to see a tip jar on the counter. Who ever heard of tipping retail workers?! So, it’s possible that pax could react the same way. Since Uber so generously conditioned them that tipping wasn’t necessary for years 😡

what other things have you tried and decided doesn’t work? I keep hearing “offer them mints and water”, but I’m skeptical- that sounds like a great way to LOSE money!
I'm not doing a tip jar. That's tacky.

I've tried having a nice car, a clean car, a spacious car, super positive conversation, almost no conversation, great tunes, pleasant tunes...I still get about the same tips. I think people who were planning on tipping their driver, regardless of who it is, tip me.

Now you on the other hand...I've seen your first profile pic. If I had you as a driver I'd probably tip you like $10-20.

BostonTaxiDriver

Thanks Syn. It was my first daytime driving attempt so I’m learning the ropes. :confusion:

In my limited experience of 14 rides spread out over one day and one evening “shift”, I received tips on 6 or about 43%. Is this typical for you? A female friend of mine who is not on the forum drives part time days downtown & east side and her overall tips from the last several months are consistent with this percentage.
Are Milwaukee folks just nicer with the tips?
I'm a male in Boston, speak English only, chatty with many pax, always help with luggage.

I'd say I get tipped 15% of the time, maaaaybe 20%.

$5 tips are rare, though do occur. $10 and $20 tips on longer airport fares can occur, but still rare.

Oh...when I drove a cab, 90%-99% of pax tipped, even as of last year. And the fact most pax use debit and credit cards, and the machine prompts the pax via various tip buttons, most are too embarrassed to trap "0" on the tip option before saying "goodbye."

Syrenn97

I'm a male in Boston, speak English only, chatty with many pax, always help with luggage.

I'd say I get tipped 15% of the time, maaaaybe 20%.

$5 tips are rare, though do occur. $10 and $20 tips on longer airport fares can occur, but still rare.
I love Boston! It’s so unique. I had fun visiting there. And, I bet you have a cool accent! :smiles: I’ve been to nearly every state and Mass has the distinct honor of being the only place where I consistently had to ask people to repeat themselves. Maine is a close second. LOL.
I remember that people drive pretty aggressively in Boston too! And, people were in general more aggressive and outspoken.
That sucks about the infrequent tips :frown: I’m convinced that it’s at least partially a regional thing.
If you don’t mind me asking, what’s your approximate $$ haul per hour on average? Despite the lower tip frequency I’m guessing you still clear a higher amount in your area. Not much downtime, right?