So Slowwwwww

cmcfyy11

Is it just me or is this gig getting slower and slower? This is my first January/February, I expected slow and wasn't "disappointed" in early Jan, but it's been even slower the last couple weeks, for me at least. Do any others have any thoughts? Have I just lost my touch finding the rides?

CY

Syrenn97

Is it just me or is this gig getting slower and slower? This is my first January/February, I expected slow and wasn't "disappointed" in early Jan, but it's been even slower the last couple weeks, for me at least. Do any others have any thoughts? Have I just lost my touch finding the rides?

CY
Hi! I’m new in Milwaukee, only doing Uber at the moment. I went out for the super bowl thinking it would be busy... but no. 5 hours, six rides and $90. Not too terrible, but I sat in parking lots for 3.5 hours and drove for 1.5. Why can’t I just make $90 in a 1.5 hour marathon drive? :roflmao:
Post automatically merged:

What side of town is your home base? Or do you tend to drive to a staging area first?

cmcfyy11

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey, I always start in a parking lot on Highway 100 in Greenfield near my home. If I don’t have a ride in five or 10 minutes, I drive north. Typically the first ride hasn’t been my problem. I had stopped doing Lyft for a couple of months because my Lyft income dropped 20% with their August change but I started up with them again last week because Uber alone has been so slow. I don’t like supporting Lyft since their misleading August change....

$18 gross per hour is above my average so far in 2020. I’ve dropped to just over $15 in Jan, made $13 / hr gross yesterday. What’s your strategy?

CY

Last edited:

Syn

Nice weather doesn't help. Usually during this time of the year its below 0 and we have few inches of snow. Summer is going to be even slower.

Cubs44

what syn said. the weather has just been to nice lately. we need more snow, and 0, and below for rides to increase, otherwise people downtown are willing to walk that 1-2 mile walks.
Post automatically merged:

sometimes doing this is just dumb luck, and being at the right place at the right time. but you also need to do a little homework, and learn your market. know when big events are happening, and ending. in the suburbs i would recommend waking up around 0400 and just turn on your app for df to airport. or don't use the df.

Last edited:

cmcfyy11

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So true re: weather. Never thought I’d complain about a warm dry winter!
What’s df?

Ubenewb

So, I'm a newb. I started driving here in Green Bay about two months ago. Was gonna call it quits cause I was making jack squat but I signed up with door dash and usually do about 120 per day. Average 6 to 7 hours per day. I run all three apps and it keeps me pretty busy.

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
So, I'm a newb. I started driving here in Green Bay about two months ago. Was gonna call it quits cause I was making jack squat but I signed up with door dash and usually do about 120 per day. Average 6 to 7 hours per day. I run all three apps and it keeps me pretty busy.
Welcome to the forums!

Cubs44

I am assuming the problem with Green Bay, is that everyone has a car up there. When you work in a big city, many people rely on public transportation, and / or rideshare to get around. If you are lucky, and smart turn on your app at 0300 and set Milwaukee airport, maybe you will get a run all the way there, if you are willing to go that far.

Syn

That doesn't necessarily mean that the request would go to Milwaukee - it could be only 0.5 miles going towards Milwaukee. Or in Uber's case - it could go to any direction. I set up the airport from the east side all the time and usually get a ride in a opposite direction.

Cubs44

well that's when you need to be smarter than a pencil, and only accept the ride if it gives you a +45, or +60 warning, then you call the customer to confirm if they are going to airport, or Milwaukeee.

Reactions: Syn

DrinkSoda

Was talking with a bouncer at one of the downtown Milwaukee bars and he said business is slowly returning to normal after the holidays. Depends on how you define “normal”.

Just like Chicago (where I’m from) Uber is eliminating surge with those grey clouds of smoke as I like to call them.

Case in point. It really looks like a cloud of smoke blowing through downtown MKE.

07E93AFE-7D05-4E80-9F60-23F305BC8E37.jpeg

Sbuchho345

We all know it depends on, weather, what events are going on and where those events are...
Yesterday between some gymnastics meet, weed fest and people in town for Marquette day, I couldn't catch a break if I wanted to....
7.5 hours , 20 trips and it was 32 and sunny out....
And, several times I had rides stacked..

Syn

Was talking with a bouncer at one of the downtown Milwaukee bars and he said business is slowly returning to normal after the holidays.
Yeah, but holidays ended like a month and a half ago. By mid April it will be warm enough for people to walk, ride scooters, etc. So we got maybe 2 months this year of above average requests ... This is my 6th winter driving and probably the worst one in money earned.

Syrenn97

Yesterday was horrendous in downtown Mke. My parents have a condo right in the heart of what should be the busiest area of downtown- and I sat there for 40 minutes with no requests from 3-3:40pm. I inspected the app, checked the settings, turned it on and off, turned my phone on and off, all that jazz. THEN, it shows my acceptance rate at 70% and claims I declined 5 rides. (I most certainly did not, I was desperate for rides!)

SO- is this a Sprint problem? An Uber problem? And WTF, has this happened to anyone else?

Syrenn97

That time is slow in general. People don't usually leave work until 4-5 pm.
Thanks Syn. It was my first daytime driving attempt so I’m learning the ropes. :confusion:

In my limited experience of 14 rides spread out over one day and one evening “shift”, I received tips on 6 or about 43%. Is this typical for you? A female friend of mine who is not on the forum drives part time days downtown & east side and her overall tips from the last several months are consistent with this percentage.
Are Milwaukee folks just nicer with the tips?

Attachments